Man rescued after 3 months in Quebec woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man rescued after 3 months in Quebec woods

Poor guy. Heartbreaking story. I'm glad he's alive and hope he recovers well.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/01...n-quebec-woods

3 months is along time to be in the wilderness w/o food. He must have been able to forage some small amounts of food to last that long. I'm sure his companion wouldn't sustain him the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      3 months is along time to be in the wilderness w/o food. He must have been able to forage some small amounts of food to last that long. I'm sure his companion wouldn't sustain him the entire time.
      Yeah, I'm sure the media was playing up the "companion" angle at the expense of relevant details.

Comment

As a German Shepherd lover, that's tough to read. Glad he made it though.

Comment

Lot's more here.
          http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/view...p?f=16&t=42112

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene
            For the dog, yeah. No argument here. Poor mutt didn't get much of a say in the matter, did it? His owner, on the other hand...

So here we are again, with yet another case of someone ignoring (for reasons known only unto himself) the good advice and wisdom of the local people who know the area far better than he did... and the all too common results we see when someone does so. Oh well. At least he can recover in hospital on the tax payer's dime.
            Shrug. Suffering is suffering, ignorance (or stupidity) notwithstanding. Poor dog is right though. Just an awful story all around.

Comment

When I look at my German Shepherd I see my son. I mean we adopted him and love him. He loves me so much. He lights up and get so excited when I come home. He is so devoted to me.

We give him a Christmas present every year and he prances around the house like a kid. Hell the kids were never as happy at Christmas. It is the hightlight of the whole season for me. Besides going to mass it is the only part of the season I like.

I could never bash him over the head with a rock and eat him. My personna could never stand up to so much betrayal.

I would sooner curl up and die together with him. Or maybe I would set him free some how - like loose him so maybe he could find some game or something.

I did not read the whole thing because it is so upsetting...
              Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
              ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LI_Hiker View Post

I would sooner curl up and die together with him.
                Have you been starving to death and actually know

Comment

Another article on the topic:

http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blog...t-would-you-do

There is a poll at the end of the article. Results so far...

Would you kill and eat your dog in order to survive?
                  325 votes
                  33% yes
                  67% no

Comment

It appears to me that there are a lot of flaws, ommisions and assumptions in the reporting. Too many unanswered questions and if the guy survives his upcoming book will certainly not divulge much in the way of fact. I mean really a bear ate my boat
                    Anyway another person seems to pass the Darwin test.
                    As a dog owner, 2 rescues, and lover I do take a different look at the killing of an animal in a situation similar to what might have happened. Last year my sheperd huskie companion of twelve years had reached a point in which there was no medical return. Animals and dog especially become keen to this and stop eating as was the case with my Luke. Starvation is a slow, hideous and painful death and I cared enough for the dog not to make him endure that and we had him put down as my wife and I held him.
                    I know as a domesticated animal my dogs are dependent on me to feed them and would most likely starve in the wilderness if I saw that was the case and he was in pain with no hope I would hopefully do the humane thing. However I honestly do not know if I could eat him, let's hope I never have to take that test.
                    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                    Ed Viesturs

Comment

To build a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene
                        Your post is elegantly and touchingly stated, and this line the most so. Nice to read. Thank you for it.

And I'm glad you didn't read the story. It is upsetting. Don't waste your time on it. Unlike the gentle Pru, it is hard for me to whomp up much sympathy for this guy. Maybe it's just a "Canadian" thing for those of us of a certain vintage and heritage, but you ignore the gnarly old Cree dude at your own peril. And then some.

All dogs go to heaven. Their owners? Not so much...
                        I couldn't agree more. It irked me a little when the article statesd that he stayed alive because he made "good decisions." Mmmmhh what about the decision to go in there DESPITE all warnings. Here I go nuts when I run into a party of four hikers who share ONE (!!!) headlamp in the ADKs!
                        Corey D
                        46-R, 34/46W

"It looked like the Almighty had once set this vast earth rolling like the sea. And then, in the midst of its maddest flow, bid all the gigantic billows stop and congeal in their places." - J.T. Hadley, the Adirondack, or, Life in the Woods (1849)

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
                          There is a poll at the end of the article. Results so far...

Would you kill and eat your dog in order to survive?
                          325 votes
                          33% yes
                          67% no
                          That poll is laughable. It's not possible to know the answer to that question until faced with a situation where it's about survival and starvation.

Comment

wanders in to thread, states obvious opinion with avatar photo, wanders out
                            Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
                            I'm always gonna wanna make it move
                            Always gonna be an uphill battle
                            Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
                            Ain't about how fast I get there
                            Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
                            It's the climb
                            -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Answer to poll.... No....F'n....Way

Comment

Working...
                              X