Scott Haworth - Search still on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Haworth - Search still on

I don't know why the original thread on this gentleman from Chicopee, MA no longer exists, as it is still relevant and news-worthy. Extensive searching continues. For him to be missing for this long must be very disconcerting to his family. Lets hope for the best

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5008
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post
    I don't know why the original thread on this gentleman from Chicopee, MA no longer exists, as it is still relevant and news-worthy. Extensive searching continues. For him to be missing for this long must be very disconcerting to his family. Lets hope for the best

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5008
    The state police (as lead agency in this case) along with DEC rangers may be continuing their extensive search, but I find it interesting that the NYSFEDSAR was not activated. Normally for wildlands searches the DEC (when it is the lead agency) will activate the extensive network of trained volunteer search teams within a day or so of the initial response when more manpower is needed. This has not been done, and at this late stage is unlikely now.
    "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

For lack of better information I choose to hope that the authorities are privy to much more information than is being revealed to the public.
      Scooting here and there
      Through the woods and up the peaks
      Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Originally posted by Nessmuk View Post
        The state police (as lead agency in this case) along with DEC rangers may be continuing their extensive search, but I find it interesting that the NYSFEDSAR was not activated. Normally for wildlands searches the DEC (when it is the lead agency) will activate the extensive network of trained volunteer search teams within a day or so of the initial response when more manpower is needed. This has not been done, and at this late stage is unlikely now.
        FYI, LASAR (Lower Adirondack Search and Rescue) was called on a limited basis Thursday and for type 3 on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Adk Keith View Post
          FYI, LASAR (Lower Adirondack Search and Rescue) was called on a limited basis Thursday and for type 3 on Saturday.
          That is correct - and not just Thursday. A number of SAR teams under NYSFEDSAR have been involved, AFAIK

Comment

Is Elk Lake still open for hiking? I know the search expanded to include tht area. Can we hike there w/o being in the way?

Comment

Yes the public is still free to hike the trails in te Dix Wilderness, as far as I know. Nobody should touch any of the flagging or string put up by the DEC, regardless of whether there is writing on the flagging or not

Comment

thanks. I'd volunteer, but I'm afraind I couldn't keep up with the group; pretty slow with my old joints these days.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
                  thanks. I'd volunteer, but I'm afraind I couldn't keep up with the group; pretty slow with my old joints these days.
                  I'd encourage folks to join a SAR team. The people who go out are specially trained in search techniques. The DEC does the training for the SAR groups. SARs are directed by the SDC Rangers, and not solely by by individuals or SAR teams

Comment

Hiked Colvin and Blake from Elk Lake yesterday. A ranger questioned us at the end of the day as we were taking our boots off at the trail head. We had nothing to tell him other then we were looking for signs and didn't see anything.
                    Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
                    I'm always gonna wanna make it move
                    Always gonna be an uphill battle
                    Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
                    Ain't about how fast I get there
                    Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
                    It's the climb
                    -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Always sad stories..... Something tells me that RS is probably right. Just from the article, I got a sense that there might be some stuff they've uncovered in the investigation to suggest a more "limited" search of the backcountry is appropriate. Not that they are doing their due-dilligence, but it hardly seems like an "all hands on deck" SAR.

Just a guess on my part. Either way, I hope it has a good resolution for all involved.
                      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Was any trace ever found of the young man who disappeared while walking along Route 3 near Tupper Lake a couple of years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                          Was any trace ever found of the young man who disappeared while walking along Route 3 near Tupper Lake a couple of years ago?
                          No, this is a press release from last week about it...

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_dis...ticle_id=32888
                          Firetowers - 29/29
                          46ers - 4/46

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                            Colin Gilles has not been found. I read somewhere recently DEC? is asking hunter in the region to keep an eye out for clues.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
                              Colin Gilles has not been found. I read somewhere recently DEC? is asking hunter in the region to keep an eye out for clues.
                              Yes, that's what I read, too. I'm going to post this case as a new thread here for the sake of compartmentalization.

Comment

Working...
                              X