AT hiker missing in Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT hiker missing in Maine

Not in the Adirondacks, but worth posting.

http://appalachiantrail.com/20130808...sing-in-maine/
    Last edited by Pru; 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM. Reason: updated link

It is sad they had to give up the search. That area is really busy this time of year and the trails are well worn and marked. It is inexplicable that someone could vanish. I don't think she "got lost". I'm sure they have looked in all the reasonable places.

Comment

I was in Maine last week around the search area (Rangeley) where she was lost. Just vanished. They scoured the area thoroughly, from what I read. Unbelieavable
      We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Does anyone know if the woman was found or not?
        That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
        Friedrich Nietzsche

We cannot be normal and alive at the same time.
        E.M. Cioran

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring46er View Post
          Does anyone know if the woman was found or not?
          A more recent article from last week indicates that she has not been found. Her husband "hasn't given up hope" but the family plans a memorial service in October. She's been out there for a month.

Comment

Very sad. I don't think she "got lost" either. They would have found her by now.

Comment

Such a sad ending to an otherwise wonderful trip. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family. To not know what happened, must be killing them.
              That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
              Friedrich Nietzsche

We cannot be normal and alive at the same time.
              E.M. Cioran

Comment

Yes, this is very heartbreaking for the family and I am sure distressing to all involved in the many days of searching. I'm sure they have done a very thorough job of searching, and to come up with nothing is just mind-boggling.

This reminds me of (tho I hope it doesn't turn into) the case of a young boy, Douglas Legg, who went missing over 40 yrs ago from his family's home in the Santanoni Preserve. He's never been seen from. It is like he just disappeared off the face of the Earth:

http://poststar.com/news/local/years...cc4c03286.html
                We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

I have a friend hiking the AT since April, he is currently in New Hampshire, hope he doesn't disappear also!

Comment

I ran in to a caretaker of the AT on South Crocker on 8/22. His comments indicated the search is still ongoing as he spoke of various areas they had combed through with dogs. I ran into a searcher as I was looking for a shortcut to Abraham the previous day.
                    104/115

Comment

Working...
                    X