Rangers spend night with injured hiker on Dix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangers spend night with injured hiker on Dix

A friend of mine mentioned this to me early in the week and this is the first official report of this incident.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5046
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

The same article mentions the following lost hiker:

Last Thursday, forest rangers also rescued a missing hiker on Whiteface Mountain. That afternoon, a group of people had hiked up the east side of Whiteface Mountain from Whiteface Landing - located on the shore of Lake Placid.

Upon reaching the summit, group members realized that a 15 year-old male member of their party from Madison, Wisc. was missing. They reported the incident to 911.

At 7:35 p.m., the young man was located by forest rangers in good health. He did not have food, water, a map or a compass and was wearing running clothes and sneakers.

Firstly, HTF do you get lost on the only trail from Whiteface Landing to the summit of Whiteface?

Secondly, they bagged the summit before noticing someone was missing?

Thirdly, "No gear, no food, no water, ... running clothes and sneakers". Pretending to be a trail-runner is not without risk.

Lastly, many thanks to the rangers for their hard work.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
      Firstly, HTF do you get lost on the only trail from Whiteface Landing to the summit of Whiteface?

Secondly, they bagged the summit before noticing someone was missing?

Thirdly, "No gear, no food, no water, ... running clothes and sneakers". Pretending to be a trail-runner is not without risk.

Lastly, many thanks to the rangers for their hard work.
      First, indeed, kudos to the rangers for the efforts in the rescues mentioned in the article.

Taras, as for getting lost, based on what the 15 yo had on him (or lack thereof) and what he was wearing, sounds like he was a very uninitiated hiker (no offense). This leads me to believe that while his group booked up the trail w/o keeping track of him, perhaps there was an old herdpath or thelike which got the kid confused and led him astray. I don't know, I've never been on that trail, but it really doesn't come as a surprise to be this would happen.
      We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Re lost on Whiteface: If I remember correctly, there have been reroutes in recent years with some sections of trail on the brook abandoned in favor of higher ground but both still usable. Another possibility is that the lost hiker was lagging behind, missed the crossing at the lean-to, and got diverted onto the herd paths thereabouts. There are also intersections with the SOA system not far from Whiteface Landing, though it seems unlikely those could be mistaken for the official trail.

Yes Taras, it seems hard to do, but never underestimate the ingenuity of the star-crossed. As for the shoes etc., he might have been sent to summer camp or on some other kind of group outing by parents ignorant of or unable to provide appropriate attire. It is also possible that he was distracted by emotional distress, feeling he was among people who barely noticed or acknowledged his existence — the kind who wouldn't even realize he was gone until they did a head count.
        Last edited by Gregory Karl; 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I've hiked that trail only once (August 2011) and it's in better condition than the average High Peaks trail. I can't recall any part of this marked trail being a head-scratcher. The area near the lean-to is broad and so maybe he wandered away there. The lean-to is nowhere near the summit so his absence would have gone unnoticed for quite awhile.

Glad to hear this one ended well.

PS
          Whoops, posted before seeing Greg's reply.

FYI
          Here's what the trail looks like beyond the lean-to (2011). Star-crossed indeed!

Looking for Views!

Comment

These are long hikes. After awhile you can begin to think, How much further? Did I miss a turn? Should I go ahead or turn around - fear sets in.
            Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
            Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
              ... It is also possible that he was distracted by emotional distress, feeling he was among people who barely noticed or acknowledged his existence the kind who wouldn't even realize he was gone until they did a head count.
              What a depressing scenario; now you're bumming me out, Greg. It's the opening scene of a "coming of age" story. I hope the balance of the kid's summer is better.
              Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                Hmmm, said he was found in "good health". Sounds like no big deal...
                Yes.

The lesson here is for those organizing large groups. Wouldn't it make sense to have a leader (counselor?) out front and one bringing up the rear, keeping the little miscreants between?

Or maybe they could assign every hiker an "accountabilibuddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                  Hmmm, said he was found in "good health". Sounds like no big deal...
                  No big deal out there. Sit back and watch the fun here...

Comment

Whenever I lead a group hike, whether it's with my family or a hiking club, I establish the rule that each person is responsible for the person behind him/her. If not in sight, wait.

At the leanto, there is a herd path going in the same general direction of the main trail, but a little to the right. Although it is clearly a lesser trail, it could cause confusion to the uninitiated.
                    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                    2nd round: 16
                    SL6r #596
                    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Working...
                    X