Rescue on Gothics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue on Gothics?

Gerard's recent TR indicates someone was evacuated from Gothics (June 22). Does anyone have more information about this incident?
    Looking for Views!

I've done Google searches and cannot find anything. I'm also "friends" on Facebook with some SAR groups and several other Adirondack-related groups, but nothing was reported.
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

I spoke to a ranger on Sunday (6/23) at the Van Hovenburg/ADK Loj trailhead and he indicated there were a couple rescues on Saturday. Dehydration and one heart attack. He did not give any details, maybe one of those rescues was on Gothics?

Comment

A man had an apparent heart attack on Gothics. A State Police helicopter attempted to lift him off the mountain but the hoist would not operate correctly so a large contingent of Forest Rangers was dispatched from the Garden in a heavy rain, to carry him off the mountain. They were able to stabilize the man and his condition improved to the point that he was able to walk with assistance down the steepest parts of the orebed trail. From what I was told the man is now recovering.
        46-R (W) - By Da Holy Feesh

Comment

That sounds pretty impressive to have a heart attack in the backcountry, let along Gothics and survive. Kudos to all involved and glad it had a happy ending...

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
          And death is a long cold rest.
          You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
          Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
          -Pink Floyd

Comment

On a related note regarding rescue of someone with a heart condition...

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19040

I note this because there was some good back-n-forth on this thread regarding dealing with a heart condition in a wilderness setting
            We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

I've noticed this trend as well - Is it that people who are huffing and puffing to the top all of a sudden stop at the summit with no cool down? That can easily send your body into overdrive and trigger spins/dizziness and heart problems.
              K

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post

I note this because there was some good back-n-forth on this thread regarding dealing with a heart condition in a wilderness setting
                I was told in a WFA course, that doing CPR for more than 30 minutes in a backcountry situation is rarely successful for a person in full on cardiac arrest. I have no statistics to back this up but just passing on what was told to me in a WFA course I took.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
                And death is a long cold rest.
                You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
                Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
                -Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post

Vanderwackers Post in that thread should be required reading for many aspiring 46-rs.

When I saw all those rangers getting their gear together in that heavy rain at the Garden in order to go up the Orebed to Gothics and carry that man out, I thought man " They never get enough credit" I told the one Ranger that had told me that the man was still up there " Good Luck and thank you for all the hard work" It was nice to hear his "You are welcome" in reply as they all headed into the woods. I had the feeling at the time that they were going in to recover a body so was happy to find out later that the man had survived.
                  46-R (W) - By Da Holy Feesh

Comment

Working...
                  X