Sun Shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Shirts?

I am working on my deck in the hot sun. I really don't like sun screen. I was thinking of buying a sun shirt from patagonia or columbia.

But I was thinking 'Its just a shirt! Maybe I am overthinking it. Maybe I could just go to Kohls and buy 2 long sleeve white dress shirts for like 15 bucks a piece and use them and throw them out when the deck is done.'

I was also thinking if there is a light longsleeve shirt that I could also use for hiking in bug season and as a sun shirt.

Does anyone have an opinion? Or some experience.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

I have treated by permethrin one $10 t-shirt and one $10 shirt with collar and use them for hiking during bug season.
    I always ignored marketing BS about SPF clothing.
    If I can't see through a shirt it has sufficient SPF for me.

Comment

I've got a few long and short sleeve "sun shirts" from HUK, Patagonia, and TNF. The HUK and TNF shirts are okay, but I'd only consider them if they're deeply discounted. The Patagonia capilene sun shirts definitely live up to the hype, but they're pricey. You could probably find something similar from Columbia for half the price that won't be quite as comfortable but will still do the trick.

Not_Built_For_Speed made a joke about me always wearing the same shirt when I hike. That capilene material is really something else and I'm hooked on it.
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Not_Built_For_Speed
        Not_Built_For_Speed commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually hike in just a few shirts myself. The most common is an old Badger brand dri-fit tee in bright orange. Well, dingy orange now…

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Capilene is fantastic. I use it in winter when I change layers and/or I'm concerned about staying dry.

I have to admit I'm baffled by this SPF clothing thing. It makes zero sense to me. I'm so fair-skinned I get sunburned just thinking about being outside but have never ever gotten the tiniest hint of color through any clothing I've ever worn. Are they claiming extra UV protection? How does it (supposedly) work?

Comment

• ILikeRocks
        ILikeRocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly, UV rays don’t penetrate fabric…

• mastergrasshopper
        mastergrasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        magic
        snake oil
        $ moves from your pocket to theirs

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        https://health.clevelandclinic.org/d...actually-work/

Here's an explanation. It suggests that the sun actually does penetrate clothing. I'm still on the fence... "sun shirt" to me means its light enough not to roast to death while shading my skin. At the same time, I watch a lot of these salt water fly fishing shows and the fishermen (and women) are usually dressed to the 9s in full SPF gear, even the ones who aren't sponsored.

favorite thin fabric shirt:
      Echo made by Outdoor Research
      Tee shirt, 1/4 zip long sleeve, hoody

Comment

I use sun shirts when hiking in the desert SW, CO, and in the Sierra where the sun is relentless. They block the sun and UV but are thin enough to wear in full, hard sun when exerting. They're also comfortable above tree line when its breezy. Lot's of marketing to them but they work in the right place. For the NE, long sleeved Tees work fine if of the correct material. I use a tan one when stewarding on Overlook where a DEC patch makes for a good approach when speaking with hikers.
        "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          OK... but I have to ask... are they any different than any other shirt? Did you get sunburned through your regular hiking clothes and that's why you purchased the sun shirt? I guess I'm totally misunderstanding the benefits of the shirt. Has anybody ever gotten a sunburn through clothing? I've never seen it nor experienced it. And this is coming from somebody who gets red as a lobster if I'm in the sun for like 10 minutes.

I don't buy them because they are better than any long sleeved cotton-poly or other non cotton shirt for sun. I wear them out west in the bright sun when other shirts that are thicker and and warmer and less comfortable to hike and climb. These thin shirts are more comfortable and keep me from being cooked at the same time. The tan one when I'm stewarding. I've never had a tan or burn thru a 'regular' shirt and I use these because they're practical for my use. Wouldn't use them on a 'whack as they'd be shredded. I'd rather wear one of these on a sunny day at high elevation than a tee shirt with cooked arms.
        "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

Working...
        X