Gaiters, thats no croc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaiters, thats no croc

So itís that time of year and I need to replace my old set.

Curious what everyone is using. What you like about them. What you donít like about them.

and go...
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

OR Croc gaiters. Solid.
    #8335W, Solo Winter 46
    ADK Quest #119
    ADK Fire Tower Challenge
    NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
    Half Dome, 2009

Comment

OR Expedition Crocs. Long term I'm not happy with the velcro closure at the tops. Snow gets in and hard to keep closed. I bought some snap closures to add on to remediate. The regular crocs have a snap buckle closure at the tops, better...but lighter weight denier fabric.

Comment

Crocs for me to.
        ďIn the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.Ē
        ― Eric Liddell

Comment

I saw that Sea to Summit also has introduced gaiters that sound interesting.

Sea to Summit are using e-Vent instead of Gore Tex. I had some e-Vent once in a gaiter and it vented moisture much better than Gore Tex.

Anybody having seen these in person? REI had them on-line. I was in an REI in Virginia over Thanksgiving but bad luck that they were not in that store.

Don

Comment

MEC copied OR but I believe the price is lower. LINK (price in $CDN)

Comment

When I started winter hiking, I had problems with tall gaiters such as slipping down and pinching my calves, snow going down the top, and most importantly lack of breathability on top of pants (causing sweat to go down into socks/boots). About 10 years ago I switched to low gaiters for winter hiking which fit UNDER my pant legs (Neil calls this 'shingling'). Boot ventilation is greatly improved with the open tops and I have never had a problem with snow getting in. I was out today breaking trail in one to two feet of snow and they worked great, as usual. I am still using OR Flex Tex gaiters, but I see OR now sells Flex Tex II with a different design.

Comment

• mastergrasshopper
                mastergrasshopper commented
                Editing a comment
                flex tex II = suck.
                people are to lazy to replace cord under boot so they went with stiff red plastic band to go under foot and it tears out of the thin stretchy fabric.
                I still buy the old style on ebay for 12 -15 bucks.

• NumNum
                NumNum commented
                Editing a comment
                Joe, what keeps them from sliding down? Draw cord? Are they high enough the calf muscle hold them up?

I shingle gaiters as well. Works well. It's helpful to have a loop on the pants cuff that goes under the boot, to keep the pant cuff down.

I only use the gaiters outside the pant leg when ice climbing. The gaiters tightly contain the pants, so you are less likely to crampon the pants leg.

Sadly, OR Flex Tex II gaiters suck. They are twice as much money, and a sharply inferior product to the original. I'm looking for another brand to get for next summer.

Comment

I use OR Rocky lows in the winter. Tall gaiters make my legs too hot and do uncomfortable things to my pants. I pretty much only wear them to keep from spiking through my pant cuffs on ascents.
                My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

My advice on brand is no longer good as Mountain Hardware discontinued the pair I use. But this thread has led me to discover this and I'm trying to track down a spare pair before they're all gone, so thanks.

But curious about how those who shingle their gaiters under their pants deal with micros/snowshoes/crampons destroying their pants. It seems that even just a few misplaced steps or slips each hike would have a fairly bad cumulative effect toward ruining your pants. Are you mending/patching? Replacing often? Ignoring?

FWIW, I am happy to find out I have not had the same issues with gaiters as others have in this thread. I had concerns about being too hot or bunching up/ ill fitting pants as others have mentioned but I think I devised a somewhat elegant solution by accident when I first started winter hiking. I use a very thin/lightweight knee length ski sock (about the weight of your typical dress sock) and then put a thicker weight ankle height sock over that. So my feet are warm inside my boot but I'm not too hot to start above my ankle. The whole setup vents more easily and even with the addition of the outer gaiter layer it doesn't trap as much moisture. I had have zero issues with wet feet/socks in winter. Perhaps because of one less layer? I would guess my sock layers are on the lighter side compared to other socks I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                  X