Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What may come. Is the rest of 2020, done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
    (1) Have you been to any impacted region, like China or Italy?
    (2) Have you been exposed to anyone diagnosed with this virus? ... The focus should be on the people who respond "yes" to the two questions above.
    I think it's pretty hard to know if the answer to (2) is yes....

Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post

(1) Have you been to any impacted region, like China or Italy?
      (2) Have you been exposed to anyone diagnosed with this virus?

If you answer "no" to both, then you likely won't/shouldn't get a coronavirus test anyway.

This is a critical problem with the sensationalism from the media on this disease. Not saying your wife wouldn't have gone to the hospital anyway (we can't know) but our hospitals are being overrun by people who do not have coronavirus because lots of other conditions/diseases have similar symptoms. The focus should be on the people who respond "yes" to the two questions above.

I hope your wife gets better.
      AutoC-I understand what you say. We did follow the guidelines and were told to bring her in. The way it was handled was the insanity, maybe most especially the phone calls. She is still ill.

Comment

Cancel Your Hiking Trip to the Adirondacks

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...irondacks.html

Comment

With the trajectory of this thing I am seeing my ADK high peaks plans crumble. I was hoping for something in August but I don't think even that is going to be realistic.

I am using the heatmap function in alltrails to find some quiet place to go in the Adirondacks. Maybe I could find a quite back country lake to hang out at.

Then I was thinking of the Cranberry 50. That is kind of self contained and you come right back to your car.

I really invest too much of my joy waiting on 4 or 5 days camping in the high peaks back country.

I also think I am kind of a whining baby with people losing their jobs and loved ones.
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• tcd
            tcd commented
            Editing a comment
            I went to college down your way. Lots of nice areas right across the river (generally in the direction of Grafton, Pittstown, Tomhannock, etc.). Also a fairly short drive to Taconic Crest. I bet you could find quiet hiking somewhere right there, without feeling like you have violated a travel advisory...

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't give up hope yet. We should be way past peak by then and out of the Stay at Home order. Social distancing will most likely still be a buzzword but I wouldn't be surprised if we return to some degree of normalcy by then - at least for hiking. Big group gatherings may still be verboten but hiking may be OK. I'd be more concerned for any plans one might have for the fall when we could be hit with the 2nd wave of this thing. It ain't over even if we make it through this first onslaught.

• Gerard01
            Gerard01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Here in NYC, we’ve begun treatment with Hydroxychloroquine(Plaquenil) And Zithromax(Azithoromycin). First use in France and Asia has shown good results. We will see in a few days how our patients respond. We are also getting Resevemer. I’m hopeful that once these treatments begin, we will be on our way back. Makwa is right. We could be out of the woods sooner, rather than later. I’ve come across a few negatroids, who say, there is no treatment and we will be on lockdown for months with millions of deaths. I don’t agree with those people. I believe we will beat this. Let’s see how the next couple of weeks turn out.

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
          I also think I am kind of a whining baby with people losing their jobs and loved ones.

Why yes, yes you are. (But I get it. Sucks.)

I’m a nurse and in a couple weeks, if not sooner, recreation’s gonna be the last thing on everyone’s minds.
          Please, people, I know your world is crashing because you can’t hike... but please stop being so self centred, find a way to cope and stay the f**k home....

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for working your way through these important threads, and thank you for working as a nurse, up there. I hope you remain safe, Charlene.

• Charlene 2.0
            Charlene 2.0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, CatskillKev...
            You take care too, I’d miss you if you weren’t here to argue with about tourists...
            I miss hiking, but I figure most people would miss breathing more.
            Stay the f**k home, everyone!!!!

When we were in ER Saturday and today in Doc's office almost no one had masks or gloves on...except me. Seems docs or nurses should, at least some of them.

Comment

• daxs
            daxs commented
            Editing a comment
            PPE is at a premium and although doctors offices have gloves, there' s a good chance the offices do not have masks or have limited masks. The hospital I work in has limited N95 masks and they are not routinely stocked in our isolation carts. And if its not a style that you have been fit tested for, its not going to do it's job. For now full gown, glove and N95 masks are for patients with a positive test or presumed positive pending a test result. The hospital is also limiting exposure; the same doc/PA/NP/RN are seeing the patient as long as they are on shift.

I was out in the Vischer Ferry Preserve today. A mixed bag of social distancing.
          Young families together - I can see that. But they made space.
          Some people I recognize as frequenters, we're on opposite sides of a wide path.
          Then two groups, 3 and 4 across made no effort to create spacing.

Comment

• YanaLG
            YanaLG commented
            Editing a comment
            @Hear the Footsteps: that's an excellent point about the bird watching. I only saw a Downy Woodpecker in Northwoods on my outing. I think I will visit VF over the weekend, maybe when it's raining (less crowded). Northwoods has lots of side trails that are not on the maps (note: no map is available on the town website, but many apps have main trails mapped out). I suspect that there are just as many "miles" that are not on the maps that are.

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            Go in the morning if you can. There were 2-3 pairs of Northern Shovelers, a pair of Green Wing Teal, some Wood Ducks, lots of Ring Neck Duck etc.

• YanaLG
            YanaLG commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang!!! thank you! I will. do you usually walk along the former towpath, the one that extends towards the Riverview Orchards? and how early would you recommend to get there for best bird watching opportunities?

Makwa that's interesting because in a Price Chopper this mid a m ,tho less crowded then usual, most were maintaining distance. I was in mask and gloves which may scare some away but I still think most were being careful. I stopped at an Agway and it was business as usual! Go figure. Coming out of the doctor's office the man ahead of me used his sleeved arm to push the automatic door opened. I commented to him, 'Smart'. He said originally he wasn't concerned or careful but is learning to be.

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your mask idea. Might wear one next time to keep people away.

Hope your wife is feeling better.

• Old Hunter
            Old Hunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Makwa, thanks, she is slightly better, her fever is down some but she has no wind to speak of.

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Old Hunter, keep in mind that women have a much better immune response to this than men. So you might be in as much danger. No wind is the thing we're worried about. So thoughts are with you and your wife, during this incredibly trying time.

I feel bad for all the small businesses, up there that may close forever, if this goes on any longer. I remember when I first started coming up to the Adirondacks, during the mid 80’s. The economy was terrible. Many closed places. Those that were open were a good drive away. Watching the North Country grow over the years was a good feeling. It will take many years to come back.
          Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Down here in Cape May we experiencing some of the same concerns as the ADK's. Lots of second homes but overall the county is not wealthy. If we do not have a summer tourism season, I think a lot of business will close their doors. In addition, many second home owners who have come down here to sit out the restrictions. Its putting a strain on grocery stores. Luckily, we are not getting hit hard with corona cases; only 6 positive cases to date (2 from out of state angering many local residents) so our healthcare system not under too much stress. I've been off a few days, I'm a hospitalist. its going to be interesting returning to work tomorrow.
            Carol

Comment

• gebby
              gebby commented
              Editing a comment
              LOVE Cape May! We usually come every summer for two weeks and beach on Queen Street beach where I love to make big sand castles! Supposed to head to Ireland for our 30th anniversary this year and will miss out on it this year if that's not cancelled! :(

I saw Gerard posted about small businesses and it got me thinking that im guessing a lot of us frequent the same diners/places/business in the peaks, and being a small business owner/operator myself that is definitely affected in this whole situation, I just wanted to bring something up (I apologize if it has already been mentioned in this thread and I missed it). This thread has been pretty fluid much like the world itself the last few weeks, so I figured this is outdoors- and peaks- related enough to post here.

besides stopping for a slice of pizza every time in the peaks, I always stop by the mountaineer in kv cause that has to be my favorite store (my nunzio's or Donatello's of gear or anything else inedible), and even when not going in with the intent or money to purchase anything I still love to check out the gear, the books, etc and I love just bs-ing with nick and dustin and the others about a hike or the happenings or whatever. The mountaineer sent out an email a week ago that was sad but optimistic at the same time and brought a literal tear or two to my eyes (they closed last week before this weeks mandate) and they just sent out another email yesterday just as a reminder that we can still shop from them online, and they even have a little bonus deal for gift certs right now as a little incentive to help them out.

im not affiliated with them in any way, just with the talk of small businesses up there was just hoping to bring to light that while we are probably shopping on amazon.com and Walmart.com more now than ever to try and get our space from others, we can still support some of the smaller guys online too. Along with that, if you have the means during this time, and are careful, it sounds like take-out or delivery from your favorite local restaurants is still somewhat safe as long as you take some precautions and use your head and trust the service.

Also, if any of you are like me and are longing to just get even a view of rt 73, or just wondering what the weather is like there in kv or catch a live glimpse of the mountains from an isolated laptop or smartphone a couple hours away, the mountaineers webcam is still running.
            35er #3133
            46er #11779

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
            Zarathustra

Comment

• bikerhiker
              bikerhiker commented
              Editing a comment
              great idea moving it to its own thread auto, will be able to get a good list going and add to/edit it.

• Learning The Trails
              Learning The Trails commented
              Editing a comment
              The Whiteface webcam is also running.

• bikerhiker
              bikerhiker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks LTT, I keep forgetting about that one

I don't know about you all, but I'm thinking of a discrepancy between the number of people needing hospitalization, and the number of ventilators. I'm thinking of a time when we're at the most likely to need this kind of help, and not having it. Don't leave the house, unnecessarily. Unplanned interactions happen when you leave the home. You may die from this flukey thing. You may die from a shortage of ventilators, or they may give you a ventilator, and another person dies. You may send others to the hospital to play the ventilator games. You may not recover your lung function. The best hikers have the strength to stay home. The weaker ones, not so much.

Lets see how good we all are. Lets define "essential" and "non-essential" individually, not going by the governmental effort to define it in blanket terms. Sure, you can use government guidelines to analyze your level of guilt, but truly individual assessment is the most accurate.

Thank you for the people doing essential work in all of this.
            I might be kidding...

Comment

• HH1
              HH1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Great post!!

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you HH1!! I do appreciate your support, particularly.

• daxs
              daxs commented
              Editing a comment
              Hospitals stock and staff for normal operations not pandemics. The small community hospital I work at has 16 vents and a few Bipap machines that can be turned into vents. If you have people on the same vent settings you can vent several patients off the same machine. No one wants to be in the ethical dilemma about who gets vented and who doesnt

I’m glad to see that my post has generated a wide response. I’m also glad that it did not turn hostile, as some of the FB forums have turned into virtual battlefields. I’ve been frustrated that I may have seen the end of my hiking for the year, but the reasons are obvious and being in NYC, I have to think responsibly and strategically. There’s a good chance I may have had the virus several weeks ago. I was pretty sick and experienced a few of the symptoms. One was shortness of breath. There were more than a few days, when I couldn’t catch my breath. Every time I walked, I had to stop and get my strength back. Lucky for me, I started taking my breathing med that I use when hiking. It helped. Now, this does not mean I had it. There is no blood test I can take at this time to check For antibodies. As far as I’m concerned, I’ll act as if I don’t have it. For myself, to travel even beyond my neighborhood, other than work, is tactically not smart. I’ve even stayed away from Prospect Park, which from what I heard, was loaded with people. I stick to my short walks on the boardwalk, when not that many people are out.

I feel this will end soon. There are many reports that this will take many many months to end. Being in medicine, I see hope. Treatments are already being used in NYC with good results. A vaccine is in the works, faster than ever before. Those who get are not sick can be given meds to prevent the virus from growing. All of us are taking a hit in some way. Soon, we will all be back out there. I’ll run into some of you guys. Looking forward to hearing, “Gerard?” When, I’m on the trail, and someone recognizes me from my pictures. Stay healthy. Keep posting. I enjoy reading your thoughts and insights.
            Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• bikerhiker
              bikerhiker commented
              Editing a comment
              maybe those more in the researching-know will say, but I don't remember such an aggressive and rapid movement on different fronts for treatment and vaccine. that is one of the positives I have taken away from all this the last two weeks, that although the negatives have progressed quickly, maybe a positive like a suitable pharmaceutical will come along faster than we think.
              another positive that I hope may come of all this in following future is that perhaps future cold and flu seasons will not be as bad, as maybe we will all start using common sense again in terms of not spreading germs to others/washing hands/etc, taking the lessons learned from the last few weeks in terms of hygiene etc, and keep doing these things going forward.

• Charlene 2.0
              Charlene 2.0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Let’s not forget this is still cold and flu season. Covid is not the only game in town right now. And it’s very unlikely you picked Covid up weeks ago, unless you travelled to a hot spot.

It’s good to have hope and nice to think this will end soon.... If by “soon”, you mean a few months and if everyone does what they’re supposed to do AND STAYS HOME!

Gerard, my good man, more importantly, how are you coping with the lack of ponies running races?
              (Best Scarface TR ever!)

• Gerard01
              Gerard01 commented
              Editing a comment
              I miss my horses, Charlene.

I hope those sick and/or exposed get lifetime antibodies so they don't get it in the future. If a vaccine isn't ready come fall, and its not supposed to be, we may see this pandemic happen all over again.

Comment

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              Short-term antibodies, but not long-term. But that's not important now. Important thing now is not to get it, or give it. That's it.

edit: There seem to be cases of re-infection, so, all bets are off, unfortunately.
              Last edited by CatskillKev; 04-02-2020, 10:03 AM.

Well, we, the U.S., just today passed Italy and China in number of confirmed cases.
            I might be kidding...

Comment

• tcd
              tcd commented
              Editing a comment
              We will certainly find out in the coming weeks whether the outcome is closer to the optimistic projections or the pessimistic projections.

Another data point of interest is the current fatality rate. Worldwide, it's 4.5%, but in the US, it's 1.5% That's a REALLY big difference. Of course there could be many factors in that (rate of testing, the "stage" of the pandemic, quality of treatment, falsified data from certain countries about infection rates, and a long list of other possible factors). So again, we will have to wait and see.

Another factor is that killing the economy will kill as many people as this virus. Leaders must walk a fine line here. I am hesitant to second guess any measures we are taking as either too strict, or not strict enough. But it's certainly clear that right now and going forward, everyone must follow better hygiene practices than in the past.

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess we'll also find out how long everybody's attention span is as well. The initial projections were for a full year to eighteen months of the run of this virus. We're only a few weeks in at this point. I just hope that once we're past the first wave that people don't relax too much. We really don't know what this will look like in the fall or next year and until we have a vaccine. It's the great unknown both for our health and the economy.

I've been looking at the mortality numbers as well. Wish I had more to drill down on there but you gotta hope we stay at 1.5% or are able to shrink that figure with better treatment plans. If we got to a rate like Italy's it would be horrific. At some point when the curve levels off the deaths will catch up to the tested/confirmed numbers and we'll have a better sense of the true figure. A while back I had heard that average time from diagnosis to death was around 14 days. As our confirmed numbers rise the number of deaths from today's reported cases may lag two weeks behind.

As for the rest... hard for me personally to rationalize off-setting deaths from one thing with another though I know it's human nature to want to do that. We have to do our best to tamp this outbreak down and keep the numbers as low as possible. If you start making trade-offs you run the risk of letting your guard down and allowing the pandemic to get so far out of hand that the deaths would far exceed anything you compare it to. Fight the enemy in front of you now and hope it doesn't defeat you.

• tcd
              tcd commented
              Editing a comment
              I picked up this quote from a commentary in the news:

"The moderators of public discourse in journalism, the media, and public office should be encouraging a conversation that brings evidence-based science and evidence-based economics together, not a shame-based quarrel that pits them against each other."

I thought this was a good point. Most of us here are discussing the evidence, and that's good. In some other places, all I see is "shame-based quarreling" largely fueled by the media.
          Working...
          X