Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What may come. Is the rest of 2020, done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What may come. Is the rest of 2020, done?

I have been following this virus from day one. While, I find the average news reports a bit over the top, the general premise is spot on. Keeping away from each other can slow down the virus. I won’t discuss the differences between Corona and Influenza. Corona seems to be moving towards peaking. Some countries will have higher spikes due to their open borders, but it looks like we will see an end to this nasty little bugger. Some folks on the Facebook hiking forums are for hiking, others not. I’d like to get out there, but perhaps the side that figures to ride this out might be better off. I won’t debate that part, either. People are still free to choose whether they want to get out into the woods or not. After the Winter Gathering was cancelled, I read reports that some hotels were closing or limiting customers. This unwanted guest of ours looks to be hanging around through June. I wonder if all of the Hotels and Hostels in the Cats and Daks will either close or limit guests. If these owners want to play it safe, I don’t blame them. Being in medicine, myself, the easy call is better safe than dead. I’m just curious to see if folks will change their tactics and camp more, car camp, or drive longer hours to get a day hike in. This is a tricky question to ask on the FB forums as some people have reacted pretty hostile back and forth. Much different than on this forum. For myself, if the Adirondack places choose to stay shut it down through June, at least, but hikes are still on, I would most likely hike up in the Cats, as they are closer to Brooklyn. I wish all of my hiking brothers and sisters a healthy hiking year. Also, may you and your families stay safe and healthy. As a pharmacy technician, remember the first line defense to this virus is to keep your immune systems strong. Take the best vitamins you can get your hands on. Good luck and good hiking.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

DEC is actually encouraging people to go on walks and hikes at our parks.
    With everything going on, it may be better to keep it "closer to home" and just continue to keep at least 6' between yourself and others that you run into.
    We went for a little hike yesterday. I felt much safer on the trail than I would in Walmart...
    Actually, I always feel safer and happier on a trail than I do at Walmart...

Comment

• What-the?
      What-the? commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I agree with you. Be respectful and not selfish during this uncertain time, and yes, anywhere feels safer than Walmart especially the trails

Good question Gerard. Given that I'm a day hiker I will continue to hike as the lodging question doesn't affect me. The bad news from me is that I doubt I will continue to patronize local businesses after my day hikes. I usually eat somewhere up north after a hike. But after Sunday when I watched a cashier touch 20 different surfaces, cash, credit cards, and people when handing things to them before touching my pizza I was done. I'll be eating at home for the foreseeable future so I don't have to rely on other people having good hand-washing hygiene before touching my food. As for hikes, I won't be signing the trail register any time soon. I really don't want to be pawing at the register box to get it open, flipping through the pages of the register, and touching every pencil or pen in there to find one that writes that hundreds of other people have touched. That was always rather filthy. Now it's potentially a public health issue. I think the DEC should figure out something there. As for the hikes themselves I see no problem with getting out there. I always have a list of hikes ready where not too many people will be around. Not sure I'd want to be on a small summit with 50 sweaty people huffing and puffing after a tough ascent but where there's room to spread out and small crowds I won't think twice. Drive there, hike, drive home seems like a plan for being safe personally and not spreading the virus if you happen to have it and were asymptomatic during your hike. We should all think about adopting new trail etiquette though. Stepping 6+ feet off-trail to cede right of way might be a good idea. As most people do it now you only step far enough off trail to provide room for others to pass and often are within a foot or two of them as they go by. I will be giving a very wide berth to people starting next time out.

Not sure if any of this helps if 500 people are sharing the same space on a trail in a given day but that's my short-term plan.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me also point out that I hike solo 99% of the time. I don't cram in a car with a bunch of friends to drive north so there's no chance of spreading anything among a hiking group. No group... just me.

Will also be limiting interactions with other hikers. I do like my solitude but I also enjoy chatting with folks on the trails. Time to curtail that a bit or at the very least keep at a safe distance.

What are the chances that New High Peaks Shuttle Service starts very late this year; or, doesn't even run due to the Corona Virus

Using the case distribution in Wuhon I made an estimate of where the tail would run out. Start to finish is 6 weeks. Peak Wuhon peak occurred at about 2 weeks.

Now Gov Cuomo projects peak in NY State 45 days from now. Modern math puts our response at 6/2*45 days to the finish; or, 4-1/2 months from today = July 30, 2020

Link to story with chart. https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid...urve-1.5479983
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-17-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Eddie Fournier
      Eddie Fournier commented
      Editing a comment
      shuttle service might not even be necessary once the border is closed, which should happen today - a lot of hikers come from Montreal

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      True. I seem to pass lots of people from Quebec. My rough figure is between 1/4 and 1/2 the people.

And maybe not just from across the US-Canada border but from out of NY State too.

If it does peak in 45 days I'd still be very cautious for many more weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post
      If it does peak in 45 days I'd still be very cautious for many more weeks.
      And wouldn't you expect the State leaders be even more cautious about promoting anything the brings groups of people together.
      So that even when cases fall or approach zero to add several more weeks onto that to be certain.

Comment

My ADK Chapter (Albany) just announced that all chapter events (Meetings, Banquet, Outings, etc.) in April are cancelled.

I hiked last weekend with people from the Onondaga Chapter and know they had cancellations too. Probably State Wide now.

And in another couple weeks.....well stay tuned for May announcements.

Don

Comment

• Learning The Trails
          Learning The Trails commented
          Editing a comment
          My chapter meeting was cancelled last Friday. No facebook notice.
          Just a sign on the door that said "Speaker cancelled. Meeting cancelled."

I'm 38. I'm the youngest guy that attends. I understand the concerns of my fellow members.

• Hear the Footsteps
          Editing a comment
          Sorry you didn’t get advance notice.

• Hear the Footsteps
          Editing a comment
          Update. All upcoming Onondaga Chapter events are cancelled until further notice.

Some good info here... https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...air-cautiously

And more here... https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...he-adirondacks

Some highlights:

"The Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism announced on Friday that it has paused all outward paid advertising that actively solicits immediate planning of travel to the Adirondacks."

"The state has also convened its “Incident Management Team” to assist “incident command personnel and emergency managers in ensuring a prompt, efficient and organized response to complex incidents,” like the coronavirus outbreak, according to a spokesman for the governor. The team includes a number of forest rangers from the state Department of Environmental Conservation and personnel from 20 other state agencies. The governor’s office did not say whether any of the 45 forest rangers from the Adirondacks were specifically part of the Incident Management Team, but often when rangers become tied up in one area of the state, other rangers may be called in for mutual aid. The Incident Management Team is yet another one of the many responsibilities the state’s 141 forest rangers have, including responding to search and rescue incidents and providing education to the public."

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
          Editing a comment
          Ran into a Forest Ranger as we came out of the Santas Sunday. Asked if there were any Coronavirus announcements. At that moment nothing was new but he did say Region 5 is short staffed because they have staff at the 'emergency command center.' Didn't ask how many.
          Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-18-2020, 12:43 PM.

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          hmmm... as this situation continues to evolve I think we may have to ask ourselves if hiking is even the right thing to do. Is it selfish to be out there and potentially need a rescue that would divert Rangers and/or other first responder/ SAR personnel from the more important task of fighting the pandemic and helping folks who are in more dire need of their services? Something to keep in mind. At the very least plan on self-rescuing if you're in minor trouble or dial back your hikes to where you're not putting yourself in any precarious positions that could lead to injury or need for help. At most, stop hiking altogether.

I still have a bunch of waterfalls to check off a list I'm working. Come this spring perhaps that's my focus. Easier. Mostly flatland type of hikes. Less "dangerous" than climbing mountains. Far less chance for a need of rescue or assistance. Not that any of us plan having to call for help but it may be the responsible thing to do for the entire community to not even put yourself in a position to ever need to.

• Hear the Footsteps
          Editing a comment
          I do lots of walks. I live 0.6 miles from a Nature Preserve where I can walk up to 4 miles without or 6+ miles with out and backs. It's flat. It's on the Old Erie Canal.

It's major advantage it's right here.

LTT-You hit the nail right on the head.

Comment

Just to add a bit more, when I am out and cannot washed my hands with water and soap, I always carry some hand sanitizer with me, I have two pairs of gloves one for manipulating things when I am out , I remove that pair when I want to get back in the house and put the first pair to be washed in the washing machine.

I wash all my fruits with soap and warm water and my hands after that.

I do not buy food that is manipulated by any food clerk, unless I can cook it.

I disinfect anything that might be touched by public.

Go by at grocery in off hours when less people are there.

Hope for the best.

8000m 0/14

Comment

These are my plans for now. Of course they can change.

I will still be doing day hikes in the high peaks but will be bringing my dinner instead of going to the diner.

We always plan a multi-day high peaks trip for August. We like to stay in leantos but this year we will be staying in the tent that we always bring but seldom use. It's a nice tent.

These trips will be using the Upper Works trail head. I figure that trail head has the least amount of people.
            Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
            ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

I own a seasonal motel in the tri lakes. We are taking a wait and see attitude right now. Pre season reservations were doing very well till the last week of February. In the last 3 week none have come in. So far we have not had any cancelations which tells me people are still being optimistic. But once event like Tinman, Ironman, 90 Miler are canceled you can’t make it back. All we can do now is wait like everyone else.

Comment

Well, sorry forum friends from Canada. We'll hopefully see you sooner than later...

Trump confirms US-Canada border will be closed to non-essential traffic

From CNN's Betsy Klein

President Trump confirmed on Twitter that Canada and the US will close their border to non-essential traffic.
                "We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!" Trump wrote on Twitter.

Read Trump's tweet:

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
                We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!
                9:37 AM - Mar 18, 2020

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
                  Charlene 2.0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  People be dying. If you’re thinking of hiking, you aren’t thinking about the truly important things in life.

Like Makwa, My personal hikes are solo nearly 100% of the time. However, I am part of some volunteer groups and events which typically have several like members working together. Lean2Rescue did have several work jobs scheduled, beginning very soon. Same with the ADK trail crew work training course scheduled for early May. Instructing SAR Land Navigation courses and assisting with the DEC wildlands SAR training will have to wait. NYSDHSES/SPTC has cancelled formal training and certification courses for the time being. Spring canoe races are cancelled, probably later ones as well (God please no, not the 90!). BSA guide trek leader training at Massawepie and Lows in June is in jeopardy.

I live on the western edge of the Adirondacks and am most familiar and comfortable in the lesser traveled remote wilderness areas close to me without competition or company with other questionable folks. Thankfully I completed my new camp on the edge of the Adiondacks last season and can base out of there with no very close neighbors. It will be a good place to shield me and my family.
                "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

I live 4 hours away and always hike in the summer I don’t get a chance to do it often so I will be disappointed if I can’t but I understand why

Comment

Working...
                  X