Partial Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial Knee Replacement

Unfortunately now it's my turn to ask for medical experience. Years ago I tripped at home and badly twisted my knee on the way down. It hurt for quite a while (as in, years) but there was no swelling and the pain would come and go. I learned how to live with it.

In late August of this year I was on a thoroughly enjoyable high peaks adventure with my brother and a good friend that concluded with a fast descent from UWJ. My poor knee took a pounding. The next day all stiff and sore I went out on a 50 mile bike ride just to loosen things up a bit then spent the next week barely able to walk. The pain was like nothing I had before with this knee.

To make a long story much shorter, in the last month and a half I've visited with two doctors and a PA, had X-rays taken and fell asleep in the MRI machine. The last doctor I saw is an orthopedic surgeon whose opinion it is that I need a partial knee replacement. The meniscus is destroyed, cartilage worn out and arthritis is making everything worse. The inside of my left knee is now bone on bone and will not get better on its own. The next step is to see yet another doctor and go over my options. That appointment isn't until 1/13 so I have time to really think things out and do my research.

In the meantime my knee is feeling more "normal" but after hearing all that's wrong I'm a bit panicky about heading off into the mountains and turning into an SAR subject. Bummer too because I really wanted to finish this year. At least now I can point to decrepitude as a reason why I can only manage a 1.5 mph average speed in the hills.

I said all that to say this - does anybody out there have any first-hand experience with partial knee replacement that they would like to share? Recovery time, do you still play in the mountains, what can you do/not do, etc?

Thank you.
    Me - 41/46
    Mrs - 17/46

A trail without mud is like a day without sunshine.

My buddy Coldfeet had a knee replacement...not sure if it was full or partial...pretty sure he on this site. Maybe look him up, PM him. Great guy, he’d be happy to share his experience with you.....
    Good luck btw...hope you back in the mountains asap.

Comment

My wife has had 3 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements and we know that, following doctors orders and doing therapy is the key to healing along with proper diet and fluids. Expect pain but it will disappear in time. Sometimes you just have to suck it up not take another pill. Every patient recovers and heals differently and every operation has its ups and downs. You will hike again and quite possibly sooner than you think. Don't allow yourself to gain weight while recovering.
      Also, if you have surgery, therapy is better almost anywhere than saying and trying to do it at home. Therapists push patients, patients don't usually push themselves enough.
      Last edited by Old Hunter; 10-12-2019, 06:25 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

FMH,

Hard to say, and I am not a Dr. but I would like to say that I would bet that your MRI would have shown the exact same things if you had taken it the day before you descended UWJ. Point being, many people go for imaging after experiencing pain, and subsequent findings on the imaging are often attributed to the reason someone is experiencing pain, even though the exact conditions existed while pain free. I’d also say, that it is a very good sign that your knee is feeling more normal now.

As for the orthopedics opinion, surgery will usually be a surgeons recommendation.

Just some things to think about. Also, check out Barbellmedicine.com. It’s more aimed at weightlifters, but they put out a lot of excellent content that is useful towards any physical pursuit.

Good luck and feel better.

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
          Fat Man Hiking commented
          Editing a comment
          No doubt what you say about the MRI is true. The bulk of what's wrong did not occur on that hike but years ago when I hurt it in a fall. Probably should have gotten it fixed back then but I'm a guy so......

Normal as in always in pain but at a level I can stand not normal as in everything is fine.

I had a torn meniscus that warranted surgical repair, and I still have arthritis in both knees, and am very close to bone-on-bone. Have you done shots? I started out with the cortisone shots which helped at first but then only worked for about a week. Then I tried the hyalgan shots--basically a buffer between bone. But they have worked. Have you tried those yet? I went for several years, sometimes only able to climb a peak or two each year, and thinking it was all over for me; but miraculously, the "knee oil" shots helped. I finished my 46th this past August. I know I face knee replacement at some point, and I know we are all different, but you do not mention trying more conservative measures first. I would recommend the hyalgan and see if you find relief. I did.
        Jim

"A full appreciation of mountains is not to be experienced by merely looking; that is why men climb." -Francis S. Smythe, British mountaineer

Comment

Links to Coldfeet's threads on VFTT:

https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...ement-Question

https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...-New-quot-knee

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
            Fat Man Hiking commented
            Editing a comment
            Outstanding reading! Thank you very much for the links, they were quite helpful.

Thanks all for your input. I'm still at the information gathering stage of all this and appreciate what everyone has had to say.

I have been putting up with this for 10-12 years ever since the injury first occurred. "Normal" for me is waking up in pain, going down stairs one at a time (left foot always leading), having to be extra careful not to trip or get into a situation where my left knee has to bear weight while bent more than 45*, etc. The pain used to come and go for weeks at a time but this time it's at a brand new level and seems like it's here to stay. I have not tried cortisone but know people that have gone that route and I won't even consider it based on their experience. I know two people and have recently met a third that have had total knee replacement. One is happy, two are not. I'm not sure if the pro/con list for total replacement is the same as partial replacement so it's hard to tell if I should expect a similar experience if I go that route. Believe me I don't like the idea of surgery but at this point I'm done with the constant pain and weakness and just want the dang thing fixed. Permanently if possible.

I guess if there is a bright spot in all of this it's that I was told to stay off the treadmill until I see the next doctor. Cycling and swimming are still ok but not running. Awwwww shucks......
          Me - 41/46
          Mrs - 17/46

Comment

I've had Cortisone shots and in fact have two scheduled for Tomorrow [shoulders]. Cortisone works for my wife [back]. We've had no problems and they worked. But nothing is a cure all. Have a friend had those other shots mentioned above, his knees are shot, and the shots help him. My neighbor is almost 80, had his one knee replaced abt 10 yrs ago...he'll out work a much younger man and works from sunup to sundown 6 days a week. Good luck FMH

Comment

I'm not an orthopedist, but most of the patients I see who have had the partial knee replacement wind up needing to go on to need a full replacement in the future. It's happened too many times not to notice, in what I admit is a small sample size, but it worries me every time a patient comes in and tells me they've been recommended for a partial. Maybe it's just been bad luck.

Comment

Yeah, I wondered about that. Thanks for your input. I won't see the next doctor until 1/13. Lots of time to research, seek opinions from people with experience and think.
                Me - 41/46
                Mrs - 17/46

Comment

Working...
                X