Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plantar Fascia

Howdie,

Am very anxious to move forward on my 46 but the last few hikes in the Catskills have done me in haha. I ignored the warning signs of plantar fasciitis and wound up putting a 4mm tear in my plantar fascia doing some hiking in a local park...good thing I shelved the Santinoni's I was hoping to do that same weekend or else I woulda wound up in the DEC Weekend report haha.

Based on all the experience accumulated by you guys, was hoping you (by "you" I refer to anyone who has also unfortunately experienced the same injury) can offer some encouraging words and let me know how you were able to avoid subsequent symptoms and continue in the mountains. I'm wearing a boot (as per podiatrist) and using crutches which has helped tremendously in the first week.

Not so concerned about how long it will take to get back to 100% (or at least close to it)...more so interested in full, thorough recovery. Guessing soon I should start PT?

Anyone wear orthotics in their boots?

Thanks guys and looking forward to see you in the Mountains!

I never had a tear, but got pretty serious plantar fasciitis after I started doing canoe trips and tried to carry too much at a time. I made it worse by hiking the Davis Path in the Whites on one day, before I was diagnosed. I recovered fairly fast once I started doing foot/ankle exercises and got some orthotics which I've worn since then all the time (not just hiking). And I've done double carries on canoe trips since then (half the gear on one, half on the other). Others I know also found it quite manageable, with the right treatment & maintenance. I also try to use lighter-weight gear even if it costs more. And I use hiking poles.

Comment

I have orthotics and they helped immediately

Comment

My wife had an initial symptoms of very a uncomfortable case of PF. Then we happened to visit Limmer Boots in NH. They advised some boots that could possibly help. She ended up with a pair of hiking boots And a pair of oxfords. Unfortunately they did not have my size of boots in stock, which was the primary reason for going there in the first place. But her PF cleared up after wearing both of her new Limmer purchases. I had to wait for my new boots to arrive by mail later.
        "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

how old are you?
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Orthotics, stiffer-soled footwear, rest, deep tissue massage, muscle strengthening exercises. Any or all of these in various combinations might help. Every case is unique of course and YMMV.

Comment

Thx guys! Sounds like there’s hope for a decent recovery haha. Will talk to podiatrist about PT asap. Orthotics sound like they in my future. Just hoping they don’t affect the fit of my boots. Took long enough to find the right pair after wearing a pair of Vasques for 25yrs haha. Almost 50 myself so I understand recovery not what it used to be.
              Maybe get a night brace for both feet...see what happens. Would like to be able to do 15 miles at least when I desire.
              Thx everyone!
              Chris

Comment

Orthotics may effect your boot fit but a thinner pair/s of socks can fix that. [speaking from experience] .

Comment

Here is a non-conventional approach to dealing with hikers' musculo-skeletal woes.

The best way to hike through an injury is to never tell anyone about it. Especially your spouse. They, or she, will harp on you about it or treat you and your "injury" with a certain deference. This can foster an attitude within you that you are truly ill or injured and maybe you should not be hiking, that maybe you should put your feet up and watch TV, drink beer, eat chips and get fat while your fitness dwindles away to nothing. Ie. Typical illness behavior.

I trained hard over 6 months for a hiking project in 2014 when I did the ADK-46 in 10 winter days. All throughout my training I had nagging heel pain (ie. same problem as you - plantar fascitis) but I kept it to myself and learned that by pressing my toes hard into the ground with every step I could abolish the pain. I crushed the project and went on to do others and the pain eventually went away.

Comment

Working...
                  X