14k's in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14k's in Canada?

I might drive out west this summer, and I might try to climb Mt. Rainier. Originally I thought I'd spend a week in Colorado, staying at ~11,000' and climbing to 14k daily, maybe even 2x a day. But Colorado would be a lot warmer than WA, and I've been to CO a few times, but never to western Canada.
    So, does anyone know of some 14k's (~4300 meters) in the Canadian Rockies that I could use for altitude training? I'm looking for something non-technical (aside from crampons) and maybe a few peaks in the same area.

[Edit: I forgot to add that hiking one of these mountains should not involve being on a glacier with crevasses or other dangerous features that I'm unfamiliar with. Or is this asking too much from mountains as high as Rainier and farther north?]
    Last edited by MarkL; 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM.
    Mark
    A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work.

Remaining Winter NE115 peaks as of 3/11/10:

[None]
    Yes!!!

In the Canadian Rockies there are no summit who reach an altitude higher than 13 K, The only one that comes to mind is Mt-Robson and I do not know what are your alpine experience but that summit is among the most difficult to climb even for very experienced alpine climbers.

If you go on the coastal range, the summit will likely be way less than 14K but might be very alpine in nature.

I have made many trips in the CDN Rockies, if you like scrambling and/or not out of this world alpine venture there are plenty to be have, I would suggest two books that might help you choose appropriate objectives

1- Scramble in the Canadian Rockies by Alan Kane : it is a classic I have use it on every trips I made over there (11 all in all)

2- For alpinism : "Selected Alpine climbs in the Canadian Rockies" by Sean Dougherty, you can take the time in his guidebook and double it..... that guy is a very strong climber.

An observation that I have made over time is that you see much more Colorado plates in the Canadian Rockies than plates from Alberta or BC in Colorado, The Canadian rockies is an extraordinary land.

One last note the CDN Rockies are much farther north than Colorado consequently, the terrain is much more alpine in nature, as an example, you will find a shopping center at 10000 feet in Colrado where as in the CDN Rockies you will be on a summit covered by small glacier at the same altitude, the coastal range will be even more glaciated due to more precip.

Enjoy.
    8000m 0/14

Comment

• MarkL
      MarkL commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Nangaparbat. You disillusioned/enlightened me about the Canadian Rockies. I always thought they were higher than in the US.
      As for Mt. Robson, a Wiki article says the success rate for attempts on its summit is 10%!
      I guess I'll stick to Plan A and accustom myself to 14k' in Colorado. Maybe if I have time (if I even do this trip!) I'll drive back through the Canadian Rockies.

• nangaparbat
      nangaparbat commented
      Editing a comment
      MarkL, you can still have fantastic hiking in Mt-Robson provincial park, there is a trail called the "Valley of one thousand falls" that is amongst the most scenic of all the rockies. Mt-Robson is so big (more than 10K of elevation gain from its base to summit) that it creates its own weather, the glacier in that park are still active (they still grow up....) lots of rain there, but if you are lucky this is my best souvenir I have of all the rockies.

I will try to post some picture below. Will see if it works.....

You should go in the CDN Rockies at least one time in your life, your money will make your trip somewhat quite cheap......

BTW, the only summit in Canada higher than those found in the continental US are found in Yukon, think of Logan the world largest (not highest) mountain second in height to Denali only in North America.
      Last edited by nangaparbat; 06-23-2019, 10:33 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1603.JPG Views:	0 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	498307 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1592.JPG Views:	0 Size:	9.4 KB ID:	498304 Mt-Robson pic taken in Sept 1995.......Robson early in the morning with a summit view....

The pic with glacier falling in the Lake is of Berg Lake that is on the other side of Mt-Robson.
    Attached Files
    8000m 0/14

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	templenet.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	498324 This picture shows Mount Temple, the highest peak in Banff Park at somewhere over 11,600'. The starting point is around 6,000' so you get a vertical mile of ascent and incredible views . The route drawn is the tourist route and is rated as a medium scramble on a scale of easy, medium and difficult. Route finding skills required and there is some exposure.

Comment

Working...
      X