No announcement yet.

training begins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Today was the best walk I have had. Maintained a 3mph pace roundtrip. 3.55 miles in 1:11:46. breathing was excellent. felt good overall.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not done any elevation, yet. I usually just work on stretching my leg muscles and improving my pace time. I'll move to the elevation part of my training, soon. I doubt, I will hike Balsam Lake Mtn on April 6th. The weather is looking bad. I'm dropping the extra weight i put on. Feeling good. I'm very confident I will have much success this year. I've booked a weekend at Northville, weekend of June 1st. I'll be hiking up Spruce Mtn for another fire tower. Its a short hike, but needed for my list.

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      sounds like you are making progress getting back on track.
      Right now a lot of the catskills still have ice and snow above 3000' so you would be dealing with those conditions and the need for snowshoes and/or traction if you went.
      I haven't done spruce tower yet, but looking at its stats quick its elevation gain and mileage looks close to goodnow mtn up by newcomb on the southern aspect of the high peaks (roughly 2 miles each way, 1k gain). That one wasn't too bad an ascent, but had great views of the different ranges of the high peaks as well as various lakes and wilderness. If you haven't done that one yet and spruce goes good in june maybe consider goodnow to get you closer to the peaks.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Closer to 1.5 miles in each direction. Spot on with the ele gain. Knowing Gerard's pace I'd guess he's looking at about 80 minutes in each direction. @Gerard01... if you're looking for another hike in the area to extend your day check out the trail system around the Corinth Reservoir.
      http://www.villageofcorinthny.com/co...%209-12-16.pdf
      Some nice flatland trails through a pretty area. A few sections with some ele gain if you want it. Worth checking out while you're in the area.
      See details in my trip report... https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...-the-blue-line
      Last edited by Makwa; 04-02-2019, 09:19 PM.

Thanks, Makwa, for the link. Loved the TR. This Friday, after work, Iíll do a short hike up Grymes Hill on Staten Island. There is a college at the top. Itís stadium sits on the actual summit. The shortest part is the steepest. Iíll tackle that with an 8 pound loaded pack. Iím going to take a shot at Balsam Lake Mountain on April 20th.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      OK... I see. So from the southwest. If you went up Hillside from the east you'd get an extra 70 feet of ele gain. From Tioga you get around 190. Hillside would be 260-ish. That's why I suggested doing the hill 4 or 5 times. Gets you >1000 feet of ele gain.

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      What site did you get the map for Grymes Hill? I’ll give it a try.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment

Update: Today, Had to be the best walk I have had! I decided to push myself a little bit and test out my speed. This was my usual hike to the Parachute to Coney Island and back. I made the Parachute Jump in :35:38. My pace was 3.1MPH! I rolled along at nice, steady pace. Breathing was very easy. When I paused, I walked about back and forth, so as not to tighten up my leg muscles by sitting. Everything felt good. The return trip was just as good. Final walking time was 01:11:44 pace 3.0MPH avg. for the entire trip, 3.64 miles. I came back feeling great! Felt like I could tackle the Great Range. My confidence is high. Pending good health, I'm feeling this could be a very good year!

Comment

Hiking around Prospect Park, this morning. So far, 2.07 miles around in about 43 min. With undulating ground Iím at a 2.9mph pace. Not too bad for a fat body like myself. Trying to stick within Niels Zone 1 requirements. Breathing through my nose and out the mouth. Keeping pace moderate. Not forcing anything. Normally, Iíd keep going, but I had to remove my fleece jacket and enjoy the ambience of the park. Iíll be moving on, shortly. My two expeditions to Balsam Lake Mountain ended due to the weather. I was thinking about going today, but finances kept me at home base. I would have had to drop about $60 on fuel and tolls. Here is save it for my June 1st and June 9th trips to Sacandaga and Tmax and Topoís Hostel. Feeling pretty good, right now. Lost another five pounds. My target weight is 260. Then, I go lower. Right now,i have to take it in increments. Thatís all, for now. Back, in a bit.

Comment

Circle complete. 3.47 miles in 1:12:46! 2.9mph pace. Damned good, if I say so, myself. Over undulating terrain. Iíll take a break and then do a zig zag through the park. Lookout Hill is the highest point in the park. There a couple of steep sections to the summit.

Comment

I finally was able to get an uphill hike in, today. Grymes Hill in Staten Island. Packed the bag with 8 pounds of water for ballast. I did not start at the extreme bottom of the hill, but planned a few ups and downs. This time, I was on the clock. How fast could I get to the summit? I started out and made my way up. The summit sits in the middle of the football field at Wagner College. Within a few minutes, I got a taste of what happens when you have not hiked at an extreme angle in some months. My breathing was very labored. I slowed down. I wanted to stop a few times, but I kept going. My legs felt good and strong. The only positive thing that came out of this workout. I breathed through my nose and let the air out of my mouth in small puffs. I reached the summit in :13 minutes. 182.5 feet. I took a small break and hiked back down to start point. I decided to slow it down more, this time. A swigs of water and I started up. I reached the summit in :14 minutes. My breathing was still very labored, but I kept moving until I reached the summit, again.

I did not do any other sets. This was just a small test. I was not happy with my performance, but, I was averaging 365 feet per half hour. I could have made it over 700 feet an hour. I’m going to have to use my breathing medicine, next time.

Comment

• Yury
            Yury commented
            Editing a comment
            (182.5 feet / 3.28) / (13 m / 60 m) = 257 meters of elevation gain per hour.
            Not bad.

(182.5 feet / 3.28) / (14 min / 60 min) = 238 meters of elevation gain per hour.
            Not bad.

You mention weighting your bag with water, do you do step-ups at home?
          I love the book "training for the new alpinism" from SH and SJ, and while right now I do not look anything like the people in the pictures nor do I do almost anything the people in the book are capable of, there is so much useful info in there in regards to exercise/nutrition/etc. one of the important things I took out of it is doing step ups.
          over the winter I started do step-ups every so often to mix up winter workouts. I don't have close access to a steep hill or flights of stairs anywhere. This one is so easy and you can use so many different things for the step (chair/actual step/etc) and you can do it in front of the tv or whatever. I put 3 or 4 gallon jugs of water in a pack for exaggerated weight with a pack and used 3-4 wood-pellet bags laying flat on each other for the step (probably 9" to 14"). you will feel it, you will break a sweat, it will help. This one probably is more to help your legs then your engine (unless you do it for extended periods I guess), so if you are feeling off from illness or just fatigue, this was a good exercise to slip in sometimes when I wasn't up for cardio night.
          "Only those who risk going too far can possibly know how far one can go"
          T.S. Eliot

Comment

• bikerhiker
            bikerhiker commented
            Editing a comment
            In their book, they referenced the step-ups as training for a denali expedition I believe, to simulate the vertical steps and elevation gain of a section. BUT, I definitely do not believe you need to be hitting one of the 7 summits to get the benefits of a lot of the described exercises, including the step-ups. Its said different ways, but there is no other good substitute training for rocky terrain ele gain other than...yeah. think about trails like the macs/phelps/etc with blocky rocks that are vertical steps straight. I could march uphill and downhill all day with easy angle terrain, but my quads and hammys were sore after those certain trails, however i think I noticed a difference up north and in the cats after doing the step ups for awhile (I go with more weight to simulate a full weekend backpack weight), and the step-ups on those wood pellet bags did way more for me than the cheapy step-climber-stair-master thingy I got the previous winter. Was just throwing it out there, maybe you don't need to work those areas as much as cardio obtained in a more efficient exercise, but its quick and easy to throw some in with bad weather or whatever after work, and you can even do them while watching the red sox or bruins.

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            A Brooklyn boy like Gerard watching the Bruins or Sox? I agree with you on the step-ups but the watching of Boston sports sounds implausible.

• bikerhiker
            bikerhiker commented
            Editing a comment
            lol, i figured, I remember seeing something about Brooklyn in the past so I guessed it would be an ny of some sort and was kidding. However, a few of my family and friends now wearing hats with b's on them (not brooklyn dodgers) are originally from commack and queens (Commack was grandfather/father working fdny out of east Williamsburg)
        Working...
        X