Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Snowshoe repair kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Snowshoe repair kit...

So, I have these wonderful MSR lightening ascents, but what if...and I am just saying...what if something goes wrong with these when I am miles from my destination? What are some good things to carry to repair this model of snowshoes?

I already have a leatherman, so that is a good start I guess...
    Coat hanger wire (guessing)
    What else?

Thanks everyone!

Peter
    "Try to understand the true nature of things. Remember that time of death is uncertain. Think about the deeds you do. Make efforts to benefit others."

-Nagarjuna

Originally posted by WestportHiker View Post
    So, I have these wonderful MSR lightening ascents, but what if...and I am just saying...what if something goes wrong with these when I am miles from my destination? What are some good things to carry to repair this model of snowshoes? I already have a leatherman, so that is a good start I guess... Coat hanger wire (guessing) What else?
    I just had a failure with MSR Denali Ascents yesterday. The pin that holds the bolt in popped out where the metal base pivots. First we wrapped some wire around trying to substitute for the bolt, but that didn't work. It was probably not as strong as coat-hanger wire. Nor did 2-zip ties work, both used at the same time. So I carried my shoe back to the car.

When I got home, I fixed the problem with a bolt and pins I salvaged from older pairs of shoes. I decided to add spare bolts and pins to my pack. I also carry an extra riser bar and rubber strap. If you do not have extras parts, you might want to consider asking MSR if they will send/sell you spare parts.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

I had the clevis pins on my Denali ascents break off when I was hiking the Carters a couple of months ago. Sounds like the same difficulty you just had Tom. MSR gladly sent me replacement parts. They also now sell a "field repair kit" for their shoes. I bought one and it lives in my pack now. There are clevis pins, spare straps, and extra bolts in it.
      Going where the wind don't blow so strange
      Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
      Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

Comment

I Googled "MSR Field repair kit snowshoe" and this is what I got:

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/MSRSSMK.html

I will order tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
        "Try to understand the true nature of things. Remember that time of death is uncertain. Think about the deeds you do. Make efforts to benefit others."

-Nagarjuna

Comment

Originally posted by WestportHiker View Post
          I Googled "MSR Field repair kit snowshoe" and this is what I got:

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/MSRSSMK.html

I will order tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
          It looks like I own at least a few of those kits already! But thanks for the link, I might have to re-visit it someday...
          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

I use a pair of MSR Denalis and my repair kit consists of several machine screws with nuts and washers, tie-wire, pliers and the all important duct tape.

Comment

My Denali Ascents broke on Friday heading into Camp Peggy O'brien from the Garden. Like Tom, two zip ties didn't work for me either. I thought my weekend was over before it even started. Fortunately, at camp I was able to find a nail to make the repair and had no problems heading to Haystack on Saturday.
              I too will be contacting MSR.
              Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
              Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

Comment

Thanks for the link. Love my new MSRs but want to be ready if something happens in the mountains.

Just ordered a repair kit from Sunny.

Comment

Thanks for the link also. I intend to order the field repair kit ASAP.

A note on Denali EVO Ascents: I recently purchased a pair and after four uses in the Catskills I'm a little disturbed by the amount of wear they are already showing. These things are more beat up than my 5 year old Tubbs, and I can't say I've been abusing them. Hopefully it's just cosmetic. I have no complaints about performance. I just have to question the life expectancy of this shoe. I know MSR has great customer satisfaction and support, but I don't want to be relying on it too often.
                  Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very fast.~Thomas Jefferson

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.~Steven Wright

Comment

I carry a home made repair kit but I like the idea of carrying one extra snowshoe....or one extra per group maybe ?
                    104/115

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                      I carry a home made repair kit but I like the idea of carrying one extra snowshoe....or one extra per group maybe ?
                      There are a lot of things that you could just carry one of as a group, but I don't know of any groups that actually do this. One problem is that a group can split up, or just not be the same group next weekend, and then if you don't 'restock', you are in trouble!

CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                        On a few trips last year, when the initial reports of the MSR Lightning failures started cropping up, I carried my MSR Denali's (both shoes) as spares. Depending on how from the trail head I plan to go, I will probably grab just one of them as a spare - or just pickup the $15 MSR Field Repair kit
                        EULA: By reading this post and associated disclaimer, you are consenting to agree with the opinions disclosed within. If you disagree with this license agreement, you may not return it for a refund.

Comment

I received the clevis pin and other hardwear from MSR to fix my snowshoe the other day. Let me tell you, certainly not a repair I'd want to make out in the field with cold hands!
                          Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
                          Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

Comment

Working...
                          X