Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 46 of 46 Podcast: Erik Schlimmer

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...AcvJjXIOi6POPo

In this Summit Session I bring back Erik Schlimmer to discuss a lot of the hot topics often discussed on various forums regarding the Outdoors and the Adirondack Park. We get into everything from the trails, the issue of "overuse", how and why they were built the way they are, trailhead parking problems, hiking permits, and so much more.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Erik seems to be very bright, reasonable and makes a lot of sense. Any way he can get a high level job in NYSDEC?

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      It appears you just listed the reasons it'll never happen

This was one of the best summaries of the state of the ADK I've heard in a while. Erik is a good dude, and very intelligent. He's one of those people who seems to squeeze an extra 20 hours out of a week. If you're looking for a really good "coffee table book," pick up a copy of his Color Remote.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Erik is a great guy and a really inspiring climber. I love hearing his stories and reading about his achievements. He's a great championer of the Adirondacks.

Comment

Two things got my attention.

1) 6 years to build 1.5 miles of trail. At that pace nothing will get done in the Adirondacks, even if we thought it would. That would push our trail maintenance out to a millennia.

2) Quoting very old statistics to demonstrate how search and rescues have not changed. I saw no point to that except agenda. Region 5 stats are up. As published on October 26, Adirondack Explorer. 2015-2019 SAR Region 5 were 208,194,202,176,185. YTD this year 245. Seems like it's up a lot and with an average of 193 in those previous five years with a stddev.=12 a case can be made that this year SAR are way up.

Don

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Makwa, I haven't done that math but was thinking about that, if the number of hikers is up, say ~20%, and the SARs haven't increased by that much, it tells a very different story than a simple increase in numbers. The rangers who are performing those SARs might not care what the story says either way, but if the ratios end up indicating fewer rescues per hiker, its a step in the right direction and supports what Erik was getting at.

The trail building issue has been brought up numerous times here, and IIRC Neil once did the "head work" on what some of these trails would look like if built according to modern sustainability. Is it practical at this point? Nope, probably not. Its definitely something to considering for the longevity of our trails and sanity of trail crews. If it starts now and takes 100 years, who cares? Its employment for trail crews and doesn't burden anyone.

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          Makwa. I doubt there's any data good enough to relate percentage increase of SARS to percentage increase of inexperienced hikers.

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          FlyFishingandBeer. I think this guys point is to talk us around in circles.

Love these two
          On the fractional numbers of SAR
          The numbers. 350 rescues. 35000 hikers to Cascade per year. "There's going to be a whole lot of zeros then a number" Well the number is 0.01; so the whole lot here is just one. Anyway his point the number of rescues is just 1% of the yearly hikers on Cascade; so, "There's no crisis..."

And
          "You need to give me some specific numbers and then I can deduce for myself if I think it's statistically significant"
          This guy doesn't know a statistic from a tent stake.

Don

While I am probably the only one in this forum supporting the new trail to Cascade, I found his trail building insights less than practical.
        I don't know how you could construct a trail without water bars. Maybe I need to learn something about trail building.
        I think the rangers union would like a word with him about the pace of this year's rescues.
        Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
        ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
          I think the rangers union would like a word with him about the pace of this year's rescues.
          Agree, the pod cast missed the connection of SAR to Rangers spending significant amounts of their regular as well as overtime hours on SAR.

Comment

• moosebeware
            moosebeware commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm always curious to know if the capacity for increased cell reception has led to an increase in rescues...If you build it, they will call. Just as social media has led to an increase in hiking, how much of that has also led to an increase in hiker education? Complicated questions...

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say yes. Would also guess that those rescues are easier and are resolved more quickly. Far less searching if coordinates of where the cell call was placed can be obtained.

This is off topic. The podcast host got himself a spot with Zoom sound recorders. I first saw this posted on B&H Photo website. I've been almost about to buy something like this since spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0l1MfE26Nk

Comment

Working...
          X