Development at Frontier Town A-Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development at Frontier Town A-Frame

I've stopped at the Mobil across the street from the old Frontier Town hotel after all of our hikes at Upper Works/Tahawus this Summer. I noticed that a lot of work was being done on the old structure.

So, I asked the woman at the gas station what was going on "over there?"

She told me that the owner is fixing up the building and planning on putting in a Subway, an outdoorsman store and a gift shop.

He's not sure what he will be doing with the old hotel part of the building.

I know there aren't many fast food options along the Northway once past Warrensburg until you get to Peru.

Figured I'd share this info to give hungry hikers something to look forward to after leaving Tahawus.

I use to stop even when the gas station was closed just to stretch. Nice to hear something is going on there. Will be tough to stay in business tho as there sure aren't many locals around. Its a nice area of the Adirondacks that is under appreciated.
    I can remember going to Frontier Town as a kid and shooting Outlaws holding up the stage who then kidnapped my sister. Unfortunately they let her go.

Comment

I got thrown in the hoosegow there back in '69. I was just 4 so my mother came too...

Comment

• Old Hunter
        Old Hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the cap and cork musket my parents bought me there is still at my mother's. The rifle shot Greenie Stick'em caps for smoke and noise and a round cork ball which I muzzle loaded was shot out of the barrel...oh maybe five feet! lol.

Great history!

I used to stop at the Exit 29 gas station in it's earlier incarnation, back in the 80s. But I never went to Frontiertown as a kid; I was further downstate at that time.

Back story - my long gone parents were married in 1947, in Westchester County. They honeymooned in Quebec City. I remember them telling me that it was a 3 day drive (!) via Route 9 to get there. Now, about 9 hours; an easy day via I-87. I don't know if they stayed in one of the small, long disappeared motels in North Hudson, but maybe?

Comment

I grew up in Rochester and I don't know/remember which Chevy station wagon we took to the Adirondacks, the Coral Pink 59 or the Metallic Blue 63. I'll guess the 63. I know we visited many places like FT above and 1000animals and Santas Workshop, Gaslight Village, Dinosaur Village between Jay and Wilmington [some remants are still there] and the Land Of Make Believe and High Falls Gorge and maybe others... The Grand Tour LOL.Plus We took a chair lift up Whiteface or Big Tupper but I do not recall where we stayed, probably a few motels, or how long it took. I remember the chairlift because my mother walked down the mtn, going up had been exciting enough.

TCD, my folks got married in 46 after the war when Dad got home from the NAVY. He was a 'Plank Owner' of an LSM and had to stay until the ship was decommissioned. Of 550+ LSMs in the war Dad's is the only one still afloat. Its a training vehicle in the Korean navy.

Comment

• Old Hunter
          Old Hunter commented
          Editing a comment
          'Enchanted Village' was another of the old time attractions.

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          And of course Storytown though I think that lies just outside the Blue Line.

Then there was one called Time Town up near Bolton. I do not recall this place at all from when I was a kid and only became aware of it within the last few years. A few links with some info...
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Town
          https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4396

And there was a zoo of some sort somewhere near Exit 18, 19, or 20 of the Northway. I don't recall the name but just off the northbound side of the highway around one of those exits was a small sign/billboard and something that today animal rights groups would find absolutely abhorrent but I guess nobody cared about 50 years ago - they had a live bear cub chained up and perched atop a 10-foot tall wooden stand to promote the place. The stand couldn't have been more than 6-8 feet in diameter. You'd drive by and see the poor bear stuck up there and presumably that would make you want to go to the zoo. Anybody else recall this? I may have brought this up years ago on the forum but the name of the place escapes me yet again.

• Old Hunter
          Old Hunter commented
          Editing a comment
          1000 Animals also had a bear as you describe. Most of the 1000 were mink being raiised in cages for fur.
          I don't recall it but I should add; that the place I call Dinosaur Village near Jay and Wilmington may have had a different name. Its kind of across from Paleface ski area and in the 70s80s one could still see concrete formed dinos and little houses in the woods. It was a place we parked at often to climb the mtn behind. Signage remained then. I believe there are a couple homes in their now and possibly a couple of the old buildings remain.

Someplace in a box I still have a photo of me around 8 yrs old with a big indigo snake around my neck, that I was treated to at Frontier town. My other childhood favorite place of the same ilk was Adventure town, near Alexandria Bay on the St. Lawrence. It had similar skits by western actors in the street, and a boat ride that was attacked by "savage" Indians swimming to board and harass the tourists. Oh how different the times and what was allowed back then.
        Last edited by Nessmuk; 09-03-2020, 04:24 PM.
        "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

They have something similar in New Hampshire called Clark's Trading Post.

Like 18 years ago they had a guy dressed up as a crazy man scared my son half to death! It was great!

I just googled it and he is still up to his old tricks

https://clarksbears.com/attractionsWolfman.php
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Is there a website describing all such places between Wilmington and Keen?

Comment

• Old Hunter
              Old Hunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe through the Wilmington Historical Society??/

It's nice reading about everyone's fond memories of Frontier Town. I went once or twice as a kid and remember the the whole wagon robber scene.

My family used to have a camp in Rouses Point and we would stop at the A-Frame for McDonald's (I believe before that it was a Dairy Queen) from time to time.

I think that I've made my love for North Hudson pretty obvious on here. I love the camping, hiking and fishing. It's a great place to explore.

I hope everyone here can stop in and support the outdoors shop and Subway and reminisce about the old days while munching on a sandwich.

Towns don't get much smaller than North Hudson. It's few businesses need our support.

Comment

• tcd
              tcd commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I will certainly support those places when they open. You are right, the little towns need all the help they can get.

Have already stopped a couple times at the Paradox Brewery, even though I don't drink much beer. The food and wine are OK, and it's right there in North Hudson.

There is an awful lot of beautiful land to explore there; a bunch of cliffs; several culvert crossings under the Northway. All very cool!

• Learning The Trails
              Learning The Trails commented
              Editing a comment
              tcd I'm with ya 100%. So much to explore. I'm hoping to hit a culvert this weekend.

Also, I love Paradox Beaver Bite. I stopped and checked out the construction last year but haven't been to the brewery.

Paradox Brewery? That’s the last on my list. Maybe next summer we could organize a forum get together to hike Pharaoh Mountain and enjoy a post-hike pint.

Comment

Last year, I heard that Paradox was building a new brewery in North Hudson. I would drive down to Schroon Lake to check out their progress, but it was always closed. During the pandemic, I was exploring some CATs trails in North Hudson (now bike trails, I think), and noticed the Paradox was open, so I went in and bought some canned beer. It turns out that they had opened in the winter, but had to close in March and just re-opened.
              When driving South from Etown, I frequently drive down US9 and stop at that small gas station, where I learned that its owner also owned the old FT building across the street. Glad to see he's doing something with it!
              Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
              2nd round: 16
              SL6r #596
              Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• Learning The Trails
                Learning The Trails commented
                Editing a comment
                I love that stretch on Rte. 9 from E-town to Frontier Town as well.

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
              Last year, I heard that Paradox was building a new brewery in North Hudson. I would drive down to Schroon Lake to check out their progress, but it was always closed. During the pandemic, I was exploring some CATs trails in North Hudson (now bike trails, I think), and noticed the Paradox was open, so I went in and bought some canned beer. It turns out that they had opened in the winter, but had to close in March and just re-opened.
              When driving South from Etown, I frequently drive down US9 and stop at that small gas station, where I learned that its owner also owned the old FT building across the street. Glad to see he's doing something with it!
              Mike - that new brewery in N Hudson opened in January, and it's fantastic! I live in Schroon Lake now, and am there at least once a week. It's also where I met the owner of the A Frame, who also owns the Sunoco there, and the one in Schroon Lake at Exit 28. He has considered using the upper floors for a hostel, but hasn't really decided yet...the lower floors are as mentioned above. He is quite the entrepreneur - says his biggest issue is finding help here, especially in the winter.

Scott
              Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

Working...
              X