Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hikers were moving food from canister to day packs when bear rushed in

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...mLONaetbZiogsk

If these people are telling the truth, things are getting out of hand.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

In all of my trips to the ADKs, all overnighters, I've never seen any sign or trace of a bear. I have been guilty at times of eating near my tent (freeze-dried meals, out of a bowl). Sometimes I was just too tired or sore to walk away from my site to eat, but I've always made it a point to take out what I need, then lock it up. No scraps around my site, or smellables inside my tent either. I typically visit before and after the summer surge, so that could be why I've never come across one. I thought one was slowly circling my tent last fall, but it turned out to be my stubble rubbing up against the inside of my sleeping bag, lol.

Comment

Could be true. I've talked to people who said they had bears that couldn't be based away even tho' they were yelling, clapping, banging pots, etc.

Comment

There's food all over the lean-to. These campers messed up any way you cut it. Should have transferred the food away from the lean-to, obviously.

Comment

• gebby
          gebby commented
          Editing a comment
          Gregory Karl So you don't think the bear dragged the food from 30 feet or so away from where it was safely stored in a bear canister in to the lean to so he/she could sup in the shade? :P

I spent a few nights at Lake Colden Dam a few weeks ago and witnessed (what I assume to be) this bear several times. On a Friday night in particular after numerous new arrivals, there were at least 7 groups I spoke with who did not store their food properly and lost it. People just keeping it in their packs (which got destroyed), attempting to hang it, hiding it in rocks in the Opalescent, etc.

I watched him walk right into a lean-to and devour the contents of someone's bear can that they forgot to lock. He also ripped apart a tent near Flowed Lands, which the owners proceeded to abandon. The best part was being awoken at 4AM to him ripping something apart ~50ft or so from our camp. Turned out that the people who camped near us did not have a canister, even though they told us they did, so Mr. Bear found their stash and destroyed it (I was a little annoyed by that one since it was a little close to our camp for comfort). So, in short, a lot of people who were not following the rules have contributed to this problem. I never directly had an issue with him - he even went around my camp instead of. through it after the 4AM ordeal. Turns out proper food storage and cooking away from camp actually works \_(ツ)_/

Comment

Don't cook or eat where you or others sleep is such a simple rule. When you consider the safety implications it should be a no brainer. Obviously folks are just being super lazy and cavalier. Its very selfish behavior.

I'd like to think that losing a few hundred dollars worth of gear along with an unpleasant experience would help change behaviors, but people get it in their heads that rules are stupid and that it only happens to others.

Interesting the one guy above who posted about following the rules is the same individual who had no issues while others were marauded. Go figure.
          Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

And now there is no camping at Lake Colden for anyone because of the selfish and narcissistic behavior of some people who can't be bothered to take simple procedures seriously.

Very irritating.
            Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

DEC has now opened all previously closed camping sites/lean-to's. With that abrupt turnaround in policy, it would be my guess there is one less bear in the Adirondacks at the present moment.

Comment

• Old Hunter
                Old Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                There is one less bear.

• MTVhike
                MTVhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, what I heard on the 8:00 today news is that the bear was captured and will be killed (implying that the killing hasn't yet occurred).

The bear entered my camp at 10:30PM on Sunday Night at Marcy Dam. It was 10 feet away from our tent when I noticed it. I told it to "get lost." It took off into the brush.

Approximately 3-5 minutes later, I heard the huge slam of the bear trap and a very angry bear pounding at it's walls. I immediately called DEC.

We follow the proper protocol of bear can/food storage/prep while camping. Our site happened to be the closest to the trap.

Around 9AM yesterday, we saw the DEC chopper fly in while we were at Indian Falls.

During our two night stay, it was appaling to see people disregaring the rules (cooking in the lean to and at their sites).

Comment

• gebby
                gebby commented
                Editing a comment
                Camped at Uphill Lean To a month ago. Spoke to the guy who stayed in the Lean To as he and his daughter came down Redfield on Saturday. He complained that during the night a group came in and asked him if they could "cook behind the Lean To" to which he objected. Meanwhile, I witnessed him cooking IN the Lean To the night before! :(
            Working...
            X