Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YanaLG
    commented on 's reply
    Yury - not all kids are the same, especially those that have been exposed to hiking since young age. All the kids I encounter on the trail continue to amaze me and many of my hiking friends' kids are better hikers than many hikers I know.

I suspect we share the same heritage and I am surprised that you didn't spend your many of your summers as a kid in the woods looking for berries and mushrooms. My family took me into the woods ever since I could walk and spending 5-6 hours in the woods at that age was the norm for me, which grew into more as I got older.

I can further add that I ran into Maebh and her parents in the middle of ME wilderness twice last weekend. Each time it was in the middle of a challenging traverse or a loop. the only way to get there would be by walking, but Maebh was either running or prancing ahead. I should be so lucky to move on a paved surface. that girl is a beast!!!!

• autochromatica
    commented on 's reply
    Charlene, I was quite proud of my 7th place finish in a 10k road race. In the Clydesdale division.

• mbowler
    commented on 's reply
    Agree. I think it is fun to read those. Just thought the official statement and then the "non-official" acknowledgement to be contradictory, but whatever! Looking forward to see the class of 2019 and a 4 year old mentioned! I was hiking with a 12 year old last weekend, and every time he began having trouble and I suggested taking a faster way down, he said, "No, if a four year old can do this I sure can too!"

• stone611
    commented on 's reply
    Hahaha "ugliest 46-finisher"! In general or how bout based entirely on, say, one's worst summit pic? I have a doozy from Cliff...

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    no... you were informed correctly. They do not officially recognize those "records" but publish a list of those kinds of achievements each year. Strange but I think done is a fun way for just the finishing class of that year.

• Charlene 2.0
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I miss the "Clydesdale" division at road races. People are just so dang sensitive these days... :(

• Charlene 2.0
    commented on 's reply
    Well, seems I've been misinformed then.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Things have changed after all...

• mbowler
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlene 2.0 View Post
    The 46rs do not acknowledge the fastest, slowest, youngest, oldest, fattest, skinniest, ugliest, cutest, etc, finishers. (You get the idea.)
    And used to say so in Peeks.
    However, every year in Peeks magazine they publish the fastest, slowest, youngest, etc. along with the climbing number assignments. I always thought that was weird, considering their statement to the contrary.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Man Hiking
    commented on 's reply
    Don't acknowledge the fattest? Crap, there goes my bid to be a low number in the 46r Heavy Weight Division.

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    Fat, slow, and ugly here. You sure they'd take me?

• Charlene 2.0
    replied
    The 46rs do not acknowledge the fastest, slowest, youngest, oldest, fattest, skinniest, ugliest, cutest, etc, finishers. (You get the idea.)
    And used to say so in Peeks. Hard to imagine that changing.

Not worried about People Magazine readers clogging up the parking areas...

Leave a comment:

• PA Ridgerunner
    commented on 's reply
    Does any 46er document as you suggest? Do you know the people involved? I do. I am absolutely certain that Maebh hiked every step.

• Yury
    commented on 's reply
    "why is it so hard to believe?"
    Yana, my question was based on my experience dealing with young children.

• gebby
    commented on 's reply
    Yury Even with a GPS track, I'm not sure how you can verify both it and the child were not being carried by the parent, so I don't think that would prove anything. The 46, as you know, is an honor system thing and would be meaningless to say you did it and didn't actually do it and while a four year old might not understand that, I know her parents do. I'm sure that their daughter took every step, save for ones she might have gotten a boost up due to her small size.

• SpencerVT
    replied

I have climbed the 46'ers and my wife says I act like a 4 year old - does that count?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X