This is just madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just madness

The area is trying to get a grip on the amount of hikers that it now has.

It is wonderful that a mother hiked all 46 peaks with her daughter.

But the publicity of it is going to draw even more people to the area. It's on the People Magazine website now.

https://people.com/human-interest/gi...ack-high-peak/

Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

I wouldn't worry too much about People Magazine readers flooding the region. Seems to me they enjoy observing more than doing.

I would be concerned that some dope doesn't drive their kid too hard in an attempt to break the record and end up hurting the child.

Comment

Not just a mother (President of the 46ers), but dad too, who used to post here as redshorts47 , are you still listening Lee?

It also made Yahoo and GMA! I can assure you the child simply LOVES to hike, as do her parents.
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
        I have a serious doubt that this is real.
        Have they shared inReach tracks of all their hikes with photos/videos on all 46 summits?
        Have they followed the same standard of proof as any FKT aspirant?

Comment

• Yury
          Yury commented
          Editing a comment
          "why is it so hard to believe?"
          Yana, my question was based on my experience dealing with young children.

• PA Ridgerunner
          PA Ridgerunner commented
          Editing a comment
          Does any 46er document as you suggest? Do you know the people involved? I do. I am absolutely certain that Maebh hiked every step.

• YanaLG
          YanaLG commented
          Editing a comment
          Yury - not all kids are the same, especially those that have been exposed to hiking since young age. All the kids I encounter on the trail continue to amaze me and many of my hiking friends' kids are better hikers than many hikers I know.

I suspect we share the same heritage and I am surprised that you didn't spend your many of your summers as a kid in the woods looking for berries and mushrooms. My family took me into the woods ever since I could walk and spending 5-6 hours in the woods at that age was the norm for me, which grew into more as I got older.

I can further add that I ran into Maebh and her parents in the middle of ME wilderness twice last weekend. Each time it was in the middle of a challenging traverse or a loop. the only way to get there would be by walking, but Maebh was either running or prancing ahead. I should be so lucky to move on a paved surface. that girl is a beast!!!!

As I wrote on VFTT, the parents back-packed the child up all 46 when she was very young. (Possibly a still more impressive feat!) This contributed to her love of the mountains. They trained her to do more and more ambitious climbs. They run and bike together. She is constantly asking her parents when the next hike will be. She does not carry a big back, (sometimes none at all), but I'm convinced she took every step herself.
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
          The area is trying to get a grip on the amount of hikers that it now has.

But the publicity of it is going to draw even more people to the area. It's on the People Magazine website now.

https://people.com/human-interest/gi...ack-high-peak/
          Of course, the "madness" is the people trying to STOP people from coming here, either by erroneously citing "overuse" or "safety" issues (like with parking). The reality is, people who spend more time outdoors care more about the outdoors.

Anyway, congrats to Siobhan and Lee for letting their daughter join them!
          ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 271/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

I fondly remember the Esper twins, 2 little bear cubs !!
            I remember their "posts" in the canisters !!
            I had the great pleasure of meeting them !!
            In my back yard, on my swing set !! in the lightly falling snow one late November evening.
            A mother daughter team !! She will grow up strong, wild and a champion of wilderness.
            My grandson has decided to climb the 46 and each step he takes gives him strength and healing.
            The mountains are made of tough stuff and can withstand a few humans walking upon their strong backs.

Comment

I have climbed the 46'ers and my wife says I act like a 4 year old - does that count?

Comment

The 46rs do not acknowledge the fastest, slowest, youngest, oldest, fattest, skinniest, ugliest, cutest, etc, finishers. (You get the idea.)
                And used to say so in Peeks. Hard to imagine that changing.

Not worried about People Magazine readers clogging up the parking areas...

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
                  Charlene 2.0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I miss the "Clydesdale" division at road races. People are just so dang sensitive these days... :(

• stone611
                  stone611 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha "ugliest 46-finisher"! In general or how bout based entirely on, say, one's worst summit pic? I have a doozy from Cliff...

• autochromatica
                  autochromatica commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Charlene, I was quite proud of my 7th place finish in a 10k road race. In the Clydesdale division.

Originally posted by Charlene 2.0 View Post
                The 46rs do not acknowledge the fastest, slowest, youngest, oldest, fattest, skinniest, ugliest, cutest, etc, finishers. (You get the idea.)
                And used to say so in Peeks.
                However, every year in Peeks magazine they publish the fastest, slowest, youngest, etc. along with the climbing number assignments. I always thought that was weird, considering their statement to the contrary.

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
                  Charlene 2.0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, seems I've been misinformed then.
                  Thanks for clarifying.
                  Things have changed after all...

• Makwa
                  Makwa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no... you were informed correctly. They do not officially recognize those "records" but publish a list of those kinds of achievements each year. Strange but I think done is a fun way for just the finishing class of that year.

• mbowler
                  mbowler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree. I think it is fun to read those. Just thought the official statement and then the "non-official" acknowledgement to be contradictory, but whatever! Looking forward to see the class of 2019 and a 4 year old mentioned! I was hiking with a 12 year old last weekend, and every time he began having trouble and I suggested taking a faster way down, he said, "No, if a four year old can do this I sure can too!"
              Working...
              X