Garmin's new combination GPS and Communicator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin's new combination GPS and Communicator

Garmin® International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (GRMN), today announced the GPSMAP 66i, the frequently requested handheld combining Garmin’s premium GPS navigation with inReach® satellite communication technology1. Stay in touch with friends and family using GPSMAP 66i as a satellite communicator with two-way messaging and a 24/7 SOS function.

The GPSMAP 66i will be available in June 2019 with a suggested retail price of $599.99.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/garmi...110000246.html

I was curious about the subscription plans for these devices and they aren't as steep as I had pictured. $11.95/mo isn't bad for a basic plan if you spend a lot of time in isolated areas. Based on the way charges and add-ons are accrued, it seems as though one serious incident could mean your basic $11.95 plan ends up costing you the the price of the expedition plan, but who cares?

These new multipurpose devices have come a long ways since the first gen Rhino and In-Reach devices.

Now I'm wondering if the ease of use, accessibility, and lower cost of ownership of these units will create more SAR calls, or prevent them.

Scroll to bottom for plan rates. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Solo hikers going outside cell coverage should all consider carrying a similar device. I have an InReach Mini with the cheapest plan. I can send unlimited pre-set text messages (ex. "Doing fine") which include my position on a map. I can alter course at any time and my spouse will see it. The thing I don't get is automatic real-time tracking of my position which requires a more expensive plan - this would be useful, for example, if you are unconscious and unable to transmit.

My one complaint so far is that I get low-bat warnings when winter hiking - I thought these things were made for Everest!

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Is adjusting your battery settings an option? On my Foretrex 401 I use lithium batteries in the summer and change my battery settings to indicate that I'm using them. In the winter I switch back to alkaline batteries and change my device settings to indicate that battery type. This keeps me from getting constant low battery warnings and seems to have substantially improved the device's expected battery life. I'm not sure if the InReach has this feature, but its worth exploring.

This past winter I started using a Fenix 5X (Sapphire model) in tandem with my 401 while I figure out how to use the thing, and cold vs. warm weather doesn't seem to make any difference to that device.

• Eddie Fournier
        Eddie Fournier commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think this is an option since the battery is integrated in the device. I think I'll need to wear it next to my body instead of leaving it hanging from my pack.

• Yury
        Yury commented
        Editing a comment
        I put my inReach into a top compartment of my backpack, after I read a story about a guy whose inReach was "stolen" by a tree branch in Colorado.
        I am not comfortable wearing it on a strap of my backpack.

REI has a detailed review. It has a lithium ion battery like the inReach devices...no more 16 hour limits like the GPSMAP series with AA batteries.

https://www.rei.com/blog/news/first-...min-gpsmap-66i

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks tempting. I see an upgrade in my future from my InReach.

Comment

I'm guessing it's time to upgrade...just tried to plug in my GPSMap 60CSx and Windows 10 will not communicate with it, even after updating the firmware. Does anyone know a fix for this, or is this system now too old for new operating systems?
          Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
            I'm guessing it's time to upgrade...just tried to plug in my GPSMap 60CSx and Windows 10 will not communicate with it, even after updating the firmware. Does anyone know a fix for this, or is this system now too old for new operating systems?
            Garmin has abandoned the 60CSx and no longer provides updates for that lower level model, now that they are selling the 66 version. (I have a 66, and I hate it). I do not do windows so I cannot provide advice on that system, but my 60 still works fine on my Mac using various software for upload and download, including Garmin Basecamp, which still works well.

What does not work at all is Terrain Navigator Pro (TNP), which is what DEC Rangers use for SAR. TNP firmly continues to refuse to provide support for the MacOS. When I provide an end of day SAR track to the ranger at debrief, I have to convert my 60 track to a .gps file (could be via Basecamp) and put it on a memory stick so they can plot it. Interesting since my SAR team bought several of the 60 model when the rangers all used that one. Everything goes obsolete eventually, i guess. All it takes is $$$$ to stay current.
            "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

Originally posted by Nessmuk View Post
              All it takes is $$$$ to stay current.
              Ain't that always the way! Thanks for the insights...

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

The last support for my 60CSx was with Win7. When I moved to Win10, discovered that the unit would no longer work. When our I.T. guy built the new Win10 computer, he spent a couple of hours moving all the TOPO maps and files over to the new computer and he did the same on a new laptop last year. I can no longer upload routes and download tracks as I used to. But I can use the 'handheld' devices menu to do the same thing with the 60 and 62 units. I kept the old Win7 box as an 'incase'.
                "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

Get a Mac. the 60 still works with the current OS version.
                  "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...versary-update:
                    After you upgrade a computer or device to Windows 10, certain Garmin wearable devices may not work as expected when they're connected to a USB port.
                    ... Cause

This problem occurs because Garmin devices that are formatted with FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32 file systems are not recognized as mass storage devices by a computer or device that's running Windows 10. Resolution

To resolve the issue, download and install the latest version of Garmin Express software, version 4.1.25. The Garmin Express tool recognizes the connected device and updates its boot code to make it compatible with Windows 10.

Comment

• WinterWarlock
                      WinterWarlock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm running Garmin Express 6.14.2, which would be newer than the 4.x, and I still can't connect it. I then updated the firmware on the device using Garmin Updater, and still...nothing. Now - I wonder if I could reformat the entire device using Windows Explorer. it might not work and could wipe the device completely, then I'd need to buy new maps, but at that point I'd probably be better off getting a new device with the maps. Thanks for the tips...it was worth a shot!!

• MTVhike
                      MTVhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have had no trouble using FAT32-formated flash drives with my Win 10 computer.

My old Garmin 76Cx works fine with Windows 10. Are you hearing the USB connect beep? If so, open Mapsource or Basecamp and see if the gps is recognized. If not, try a different USB port. Mapsource has a bug and won’t save got files but does save Garmin’s gdb format.

Is the gps working outside (starts up and shows location and time)? There was a change in April which affected the week number in the gps signal clock. Most people did not have a problem with it but Garmin has a fix. Search forum to find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• WinterWarlock
                      WinterWarlock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll try that - thanks Joe! (I do get the beep, but Garmin Express says it doesn't recognize it...I'll try Basecamp, since I can't find my Mapsource license code anymore)

I have been doing some more researching of Garmin's current handheld offerings, which are confusing and bewildering. In a product line for which consumer demand must be falling due to competition from smartphones, it is hard to understand why they have so many models. I found a site with a chart describing the features of the various models.
                    https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/g...omparison.html Don't be upset by the prices, they are CDN$ not US$...unless you are north of the border.

In the preloaded maps row there are two kinds: TopoActive and topographic maps. Garmin doesn't explain the differences, but further online searching indicates that the new TopoActive maps on the higher-end models DO NOT have contour lines which one would expect on something called a topographic map (as with the older download map offerings and Garmin maps available on microSD cards).

So if your dream is having an inReach communicator and a full-featured hiking GPS in one device, you'll have to spend another $100 or so for a "real" 24K Garmin topographic map (more if you want another regional map). Don't worry about memory, however, as the high end 66 models have 16GB on board.

Comment

Working...
                    X