Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trails that do not have stream crossings (Catskill version)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trails that do not have stream crossings (Catskill version)

Every spring (and at other times after heavy rain), there is the concern of high water crossings. This could be split up into separate threads, but I will start the Catskill version.

Hunter via Spruceton - Truck road. And for Rusk, if you start from the hair pin turn and stay to climbers right (aiming for East Rusk), you can avoid most of the streams. Hunter and Leavitt from Rt. 214.

Balsam Lake from Mill Brook Road (includes Graham). One minor stream crossing but I have never seen it dangerous in any way.

Graham and DT can be done from Seager if you go from the electric lines.

Hawk-it from Rt. 42. If you take a circular route, you can avoid all the streams.

Bearpen and Vly from County Rt. 3 (from the South).

Blackheads - Most of the streams are bridged (?) Barnum Rd approach has the least concern.

Kaaterskill High Peak from County Rt. 16. 2 Streams are bridged. Also from Gillespie road.

Westkill From Spruceton

Peekamoose and Table from either end - some minor unbridged crossings

Lone and Rocky - This would take some creativity but could be done. Donovan Brook can be hard to cross, but there is a giant blowdown just upstream from the usual crossing on the Fisherman's path. The normal path does cross the stream a few times, but this can be avoided.

Balsam Cap and Friday from Moon Haw Road

Wittenburg and Cornell from Woodland Valley. Major stream crossing at the start is bridged, the rest of the stream crossings are usually minor. You could get all the way to Slide this way as well. But the stream crossing just before the parking lot of Slide Mountain Road can be dangerous (at least 1 fatality)

Windham High Peak. Bridge over steam from 23, small streams from Peck Road.

Eagle - Whack from McKinley Hollow, the only crossing is bridged.

Panther - Fox Hollow and from Rt 47 (Slide Mt Rd.)

Indian Head from Platte Clove.

Fir, Big Indian, Eagle from Burham Hollow.

Balsam from Lost Clove

ND Sherril from Fishermans parking lot on Spruceton Road as an out and back.

Plateau from Rt 214.

Of course, if something like Irene comes along, all bets are off!

Feel free to add or comment on my list...
    Last edited by TFR; 04-28-2019, 08:07 AM.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Great list and an idea, Tom!

I think there's an unbridged crossing for Blackheads if you follow the trail that takes you to Lockwood gap. this crossing is not too far from Batavia Kill. I can't recall any crossings if approached from Barnum Rd.

SW Hunter: - I am pretty sure that if approached from DP as started from route 214, via the herd path, has no crossings. If approached from Diamond Notch Falls, pretty sure there's only 1 minor crossing.

Windham High Peak - none of the approaches I can think of have any crossings? perhaps a very minor one that is always dry if you start from Elm Ridge.

Eagle - if you whack from McKinley Hollow, the only crossing is bridged (right off the trail head).

Wittenburg and Cornell from Moon Haw Road

Panther should be ok from Fox Hollow and from Rt 47
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

The Wittenberg and Cornell have 2 big crossings from Moonhaw, unless you are hitting Friday first.
      Indian Head from Platte Clove.
      Fir ,Big Indian, Eagle from Burham Hlw.
      Balsam from Lost Clove
      DT, Graham from Seager, private property.
      ND Sherril from Fishermans parking as an out and back.
      Rusk from Spruceton Horse trail. Heading towards E Rusk.
      SW from notch
      Plateau from notch
      there's always a way to keep your feet dry.

Comment

• YanaLG
        YanaLG commented
        Editing a comment
        totally forgot about the creek behind the parking area for Witt and Cornell from Moon Haw - thanks for the correction!

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
      The Wittenberg and Cornell have 2 big crossings from Moonhaw, unless you are hitting Friday first.
      DT, Graham from Seager, private property.
      SW from notch
      Plateau from notch
      Jim,

Does the VBS trail cross any streams?

From Seager, you have to cross Flat Iron and Drury, are you thinking of something else?

SW from which notch?

Plateau from notch - Rt 42 ?

Yana, thanks!

I updated my original post.

Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Thanks for the info
        Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Yes VBS crosses twice.
          Seager, go up old electric line
          SW from Diamond Notch
          Plateau from Notch Lake or Silver Hlw Loop
          KHP from Gillespie

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post

Plateau from Rt 42.
            That would be a rather long walk.

Perhaps you meant route 214 or Notch Inn Road?
            We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• TFR
              TFR commented
              Editing a comment
              Doh, I fixed that!

• YanaLG
              YanaLG commented
              Editing a comment
              nice catch! and a nice photo in the latest issue of Peeks, Debbie

Today, we hiked Plateau from Rt 214 (DP) to Rt 214 (Notch Inn) - Silver hollow Rd was incredibly wet and had 2 very-very minor crossings (one where Warner Creek trail meets the old road, and one along the road stretch), but despite all the water, they were both running low (wouldn't even be worthy of a mention, except that this is the point of the thread).
          Working...
          X