Northeast mud season hiking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeast mud season hiking

It's been another fairly dormant winter for me and my family. Not throwing a pity party mind you but looking to pick people's brains here about what you all recommend and a few follow up questions. I'd like to work my way back into hiking shape. Some hikes this year (after Memorial Day) will be on the NE115, others will be with with our (now) 15 month old on the back--- great training. 6 miles 2000' of elevation gain with a 35 pound pack will get you ready for anything!

We hiked Mt. Philo last Saturday with the kids. It felt great to get out and get a little elevation gain and sunshine. It's a little over 2 miles rt with the loop and about 600' elevation gain. The paved road makes it seem like really a great way to get a little hiking in without much risk of damaging trails or having the conditions be too challenging.

I'll also probably walk from the gate closure on the Stowe side of Route 108 up to Smuggler's notch. That's about 4.4 miles RT with 600' of elevation gain.

Got me thinking though. What other closed roads would make for great mud season hiking while the snow is melting?

Roads that are used for "Hill Climbs" would be great for training hikes- does anyone have experience with these during mud season? IE is the Whiteface road open to foot traffic? I never thought of walking up the toll road on Mansfield during mud season but maybe that should be on the list.

http://www.northeastcycling.com/hillclimb_races/

Another choice would seem to be ski trails. For instance, Wildcat might be an option to actually notch a peak or two?

Thank you all in advance for your ideas.

Whiteface's toll road was kept open and clear for most of, if not all of this winter for maintenance at the summit. If you haven't yet, check out this current thread regarding mud season hikes for some solid recommendations. https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...d-season-hikes As CommissionPoint pointed out, the Moose River Plains' trails and roads are vast enough to occupy a person for days. Additionally, there's some trails that connect the plains with nearby Limekiln Lake campground, which also has some nice roads for walking before the campground officially opens for the season.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Quite a few mountains have roads to the summit. Mansfield, Equinox, Washington, Greylock, Whiteface, Prospect (in Lake George), Pack Monadnock; probably a fairly long list of others. They vary in terms of conditions and access. Some of the busy ones might not allow you to walk up; some others are quieter and you might walk up unnoticed and not see anyone. You'd have to check with the administrative agency responsible for each one to find out what is and is not allowed.

Comment

i occasionally run the road up greylock to the summit and have done so a few times during spring/fall shoulder seasons as an alternative to dodgy trails. with the gates closed it will be fairly high mileage but it should be easy and fast walking. i have it as 7.9 miles / 1900' one way from the south (visitor center) and 6.6 miles / 2100' from the north.

despite its modest elevation the snow will linger a bit up high. i saw report of snow/ice starting on trail at 2000' on greylock saturday, and last year i turned back just below the summit when i hit 8" of snow in a shaded section of the road april 26.

from south, west, and north you could probably devise a route to link up trails and the road, taking the (theoretically) drier trails down low until you hit the road and then walking the road from there.

Comment

Belfry Mountain service road.

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! The best 7-minute hike in the Adirondacks!

• Learning The Trails
            Editing a comment
            People are talking about double summiting Marcy in a day. You could summit Belfry at least 30x in a day!

Originally posted by tcd View Post
          Quite a few mountains have roads to the summit. Mansfield, Equinox, Washington, Greylock, Whiteface, Prospect (in Lake George), Pack Monadnock; probably a fairly long list of others. They vary in terms of conditions and access. Some of the busy ones might not allow you to walk up; some others are quieter and you might walk up unnoticed and not see anyone. You'd have to check with the administrative agency responsible for each one to find out what is and is not allowed.
          Both these are open to people on foot
          Mount Utsayantha, Stamford, NY. Fire Tower North of the Catskills Blue Line
          Overlook Mountain, Woodstock, NY

Comment

The difference between paved and unpaved roads can be quite significant in spring!

For instance, Hunter (and several above) has a road to the summit, but I'm not sure it's a good candidate for mud season.
            Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
            Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
            Past President Catskill 3500 Club
            CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Working...
            X