• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76,995 vertical feet in 24 hours.

Kilian Jornet.

Wow. Beast mode.

Comment

That's cool and all, but I once ate an entire Wegman's sub, a "Danny's Favorite" to be exact, in a single sitting.

All kidding aside, wow. Kilian Jornet is a phenomenal athlete and this record is hardly even comprehensible. Its truly amazing what some humans are capable of doing.

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Just one?! Amateur.

Since Kraig Becker is apparently bad at math, I did some searching and came up with a probability of more like 77, 053 feet (saw it listed elsewhere as 23,486 meters). That's quite a bit. I was ready to say its impossible, then saw it was done with skis. Are skis more efficient than a bicycle? That's a tough day.
      I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
        Since Kraig Becker is apparently bad at math, I did some searching and came up with a probability of more like 77, 053 feet (saw it listed elsewhere as 23,486 meters). That's quite a bit. I was ready to say its impossible, then saw it was done with skis. Are skis more efficient than a bicycle? That's a tough day.
        Could be a typo instead. Same last three digits different order.

Three examples
        The link provided 23468 m
        Outside Online 23864 m
        Gear Junkie 23486 m (77053 ft)

Lastly
        Reuters 23486 m....bet that's the right one.

Proof reading is apparently not something publishers value any more.

Comment

• CatskillKev
          CatskillKev commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the one I thought too (I was just explaining where I came up with 77,053). The math part was more about him saying he beat the last record by over 10,000 feet, yet his own numbers were less than 9,000 different.

Wow. This is the guy who won the Hardrock 100 a few years ago with his arm in a sling because of a dislocated shoulder. The dislocation occurred around mile 13! Tough as nails.

Comment

Whatever. Try 77,000 vertical in the ADKs and get back to me.
          ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 269/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            The record for bicycle is 62,418 feet. You could try to beat that at Whiteface Auto Road, if its allowed. Or you could try the ski-mo there, too, maybe. You can do a lot of elevation anywhere. I did 11,500 approx. once on a bike, heading up the mountain out of Woodstock in the Catskills, Meads Mountain Road, 10 times. Like Killian Jornet said, it is interesting how much elevation you can do in a day. As any of us know, 77,000 is ridiculous.

Would be interesting to attempt to compare, vertical foot for vertical foot, ascending then skiing back down a groomed ski trail on skis to ascending and descending the Dix trail between the slides and the summit. Perhaps we could get him to try. At approximately 1500 feet of ascent how many round trips would that come to? 50-ish? At 50 feet of ascent per minute, which is very, very fast that comes to roughly 25 hours just for the ascents.

When I am in tip-top shape after 6 mos. of hard training I would be hard-pressed to sustain 40 feet per minute during a single ascent of that section of trail.

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, to impress to this extent, he needs that free ride on the downhills.

We should get him to come and try something that has a well known FKT. I have always thought it would be fun to have a world class athlete come and try the summer GRT for instance. There's a good historical data record, with the current record somewhere in the 5's set by very good regional athletes. It would be interesting to see what someone like KJ could do, given a familiarity trek a couple days before, and good conditions. 4 hours?

Comment

I wonder what he can dead lift
            Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
            ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
              I wonder what he can dead lift
              My guess would be not very much. If, for uphill endurance sports aerobic power is the ace of spades then I think strength would be way down there like about a four of clubs.

Comment

But I would guess he can lift more than me. I looked him up - he's a little guy - 5'7", 128 lb., smaller than me. But he's a 31 year old world class athlete, and I'm a 63 year old wannabe.

These world class athletes will surprise you. Even in things that are not their specialty, they are stronger than you. It's just that in their specialty, they are WAY stronger than you.

For a different example, google Marius Pudzianowski. 42 years old, 6'1", 262, and ripped. Former multiyear winner of the silly "World's Strongest Man" competition. Now I bet he could still outrun you uphill; maybe by a little bit. But wow he can deadlift WAY more than any of us. (When he was competing, he was 6'1", 309, no fat...). Wiki tells me his PR Deadlift is 915 lb. 'Nuff said...

Comment

Very impressive to say the least, BUT I wonder how long his knee will be able to take this punishment!
                  8000m 0/14

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
                    Whatever. Try 77,000 vertical in the ADKs and get back to me.
                    I have hiked and climbed in many mountain range on the planet and I have come to the conclusion that If you perform well in the ADK YOU will perform anywhere at a great level (for yourself) also, only the altitude will be the discriminating factor if that is a factor.
                    8000m 0/14

Comment

Working...
                    X