RIP Father Donahue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Father Donahue

Father Ray Donahue passed away recently (obituary). A quote from the obituary:

"As a renowned mountain climber, Father Donahue passed on his love for the mountains to many other people. In 1969, he climbed all 46 peaks in the Adirondacks more than 4,000 feet in elevation in nine days, a record that stood for many years. He was a charter member of the Catskills 3500 Club and served as the chair of conservation."

Some other stats:

Catskill 3500, #23
    Catskill 3500 Winter, #1
    Adirondack 46ers, #358
    Northeast 111ers, #14
    Last edited by TFR; 11-28-2018, 02:14 PM.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Condolences to the family. Father Donohue, a real trail blazer.
    Don

Comment

What an incredible life he has lived! truly, an inspiration.

Father Donahue also served as a president of the Catskill 3500 club from 1969-1970. If anyone has any recollections of Father Donahue that they would like to share, please contact me at editor@catskill-3500-club.org.

thanks!
      46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

A man with a perpetual smiling and always moving. My Dad was the Observer at Balsam Lake Fire Tower at the time the 3500 Club was formed and as a founding member, Father Donahue was always out hiking. A tall man, he would glide out of the woods, greet my Dad, briefly enjoy the view from the tower and disappear, all in just moments. My Dad said he had already been to Doubletop and Graham, stopped at the tower then was headed back across the ridge to Margaretville. A quick hike of about 20 miles.

Comment

Working...
        X