X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mga56grg
    replied
    Would be great to leverage all the Peakbagger.com info, and even better, all the caltopo.com mapping technology. If starting from scratch, might as well aim high.

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    Flickr currently gives you a terabyte of free storage. I use SkyDrive. That's where the photo found on this wiki page is hosted: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/NewRussia

Leave a comment:

• Kyler
    replied
    Originally posted by MWanner View Post
    Such as? Can't be hosted on the wiki site itself?
    We don't have the infrastructure in place to host images on the wiki itself.

Imgur is an easy to use host. You can upload images without creating an account and it gives you a direct URL to the image.

Imgur Terms of Service

Leave a comment:

• MWanner
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyler View Post
    The image URL isn't direct to the image (it passes through some kind of server script), and the web browser isn't picking it up. It may be set up to only display on the hsl.wikispot.org page, but not display on external sites. If you load image URL itself and then reload the wiki page, the image will appear. As long as the browser has the image cached, it will continue to appear, but once the cache is lost, it will stop appearing. There are alternative image hosting options if you still want to share images.
    Such as? Can't be hosted on the wiki site itself?

Leave a comment:

• Kyler
    replied
    Originally posted by MWanner View Post
    OK, I figured adding images out (or thought I did) but then I added a photo to Moose, and everything was fine. Now it has disappeared. Any idea what happened?
    The image URL isn't direct to the image (it passes through some kind of server script), and the web browser isn't picking it up. It may be set up to only display on the hsl.wikispot.org page, but not display on external sites. If you load image URL itself and then reload the wiki page, the image will appear. As long as the browser has the image cached, it will continue to appear, but once the cache is lost, it will stop appearing. There are alternative image hosting options if you still want to share images.

Leave a comment:

• MWanner
    replied
    OK, I figured adding images out (or thought I did) but then I added a photo to Moose, and everything was fine. Now it has disappeared. Any idea what happened?
    Last edited by MWanner; 06-23-2013, 12:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Leave a comment:

• MWanner
    replied
    I am an experienced wiki editor (more than 60 thousand edits on two different wikis) but I can't figure out how to add images on this wiki to save myself. Is there a help page on this somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    I spoke too soon!

In Settings, the default value for RecentChanges Display Limit is zero. I changed mine to 50 and, ta-dah, the RecentChanges link now displays the last 50 changes made to the wiki.

Leave a comment:

• Kyler
    replied
    Idealy, it should work as you describe above. I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but it needs some tweaking.

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    In another wiki I've used, it allows me to see a list of recent changes to its content. I found this feature a handy way to see the recent updates made by other members. It is also the easiest way to monitor the wiki's content (no need to poke through the entire site looking for modifications).

I've clicked the "RecentChanges" link, on the ADK HP wiki, and it indicates there are no changes that my access rights permit me to see.
    "There are no recently changed pages you have access to."
    I'm not sure if this is by design, if I've misunderstood the feature, or if it needs tweaking to fly right.

Leave a comment:

• Kyler
    replied
    The renaming of East Dix and South Dix along with community editing raises an interesting issue for the wiki. If two users feel differently about a piece of information (East Dix vs Grace Peak, for example), they have the ability to start a "tug of war" where each person can keep editing the name as they wish. In light of that, we will be looking for a few volunteers who are interested in keeping an eye on the content to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.

Since our major goal with the wiki is to provide accurate information, I think the way that it is currently set up makes the most sense. Both names are present and there is an explanation of the naming situation.

Leave a comment:

• Alpine1
    replied
    Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Added list of lean-tos in the Adirondack Park.

I've added a description for Ore Bed Brook lean-to so feel free to copy its contents to use as a template to create other lean-to pages.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/OreBedBrookLeanto
    Funny in that that lean-to will be getting some major work very shortly...

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    Added list of lean-tos in the Adirondack Park.

I don't intend to announce every little thing I do in the Wiki but I feel this is a significant addition worth mentioning.

I took DSettahr's lean-to spreadsheet, extracted all lean-tos in the Adirondack Park, did a metric tonne of data-grooming to ensure the lean-to page names conform to WikkaWiki naming rules, ensured a lean-to's page name isn't confused with a location's page name (i.e. Giant the lean-to vs Giant the mountain), and rendered it in a nice table format. Here's the result (categorized by zone): http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/LeanTos

Now if we can only get DSettahr to contribute his extensive album of lean-to photos, we can begin to flesh out descriptions and images for each shelter. His post "The largest collection of lean-to pictures ever (probably) (image heavy)" is a nice sampler but the supplied images are groupings of several lean-tos and not individual photos.

I've added a description for Ore Bed Brook lean-to so feel free to copy its contents to use as a template to create other lean-to pages.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/OreBedBrookLeanto

As soon as I learn how to add Google Map coordinates, I'll add it to the Ore Bed Brook Lean-to page.

Leave a comment:

• jrjmurray
    replied
    The Mountaineer Patches are ahead of the curve:

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    OK, using the ADK 46ers updated list as a guide, I have updated imarchant's entry for Grace Peak to reflect their nomenclature (Proposed name takes prominence and official name is parenthesized).

The list of Adirondack Mountains now has "Carson Peak (South Dix)" and "Grace Peak (East Dix)".

The PageIndex contains entries for South Dix and East Dix. These are stubs (landing pages) that redirect the user to the appropriate page (Carson or Grace).

The peak's description explains the name (Carson or Grace) is the proposed name and not the official name (South or East Dix) and explicitly indicates support for the initiative to rename the peaks. If this is not the ADK High Peak Foundation's position, then let me know and I'll delete the sentence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X