Neil is at it again! to benefit the Foundation and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil is at it again! to benefit the Foundation and others

Neil has been training for 5 months in order to take on his latest fundraiser, a through hike of the 46 from Esther to Seward starting February 14. It will not be a totally unsupported hike as we will be do a couple resupplies along the way, However once he starts he will not be stepping foot in a car or building (well except lean to's) the entire time.

More information (a lot more) on the Foundation Website
    Winter Through Hike 2024 – ADKHighpeaks Foundation

We have a Facebook page dedicated to the hike which will also provide updates often both before and during the hike
    ADK Winter 46 Through Hike 2024. 17 likes · 22 talking about this. Proceeds from this fundraiser to benefit the Forest Rangers Foundation

Last edited by ADKJack; 01-04-2024, 02:56 PM.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

So we have had several members here who are not on Facebook offer to assist on Neils Thru Hike. We certainly do not want any of our wonderful members to miss out on any of the fun!
    Here is the direct link to the information page on the Foundation website with maps,and files and ("twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles
    and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was​") well maybe not the last part but everything else.

We also have a nifty sign up/registration form you can fill out once you figure out if and when you want to join in the fun after seeing the "Master Plan" in the link above. Right now that form is for the days we do not have firm commitments on and we will contact you with more details and stuff via email after you sign up.

So there you go! looking foreword to hearing from folks!
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

excellent! hoping i have the free time to get in a hike with neil...or at least to stomp out a highway for him!

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        From what he said on the 46of46 Podcast, it sounds like he's going to need some trail breaking from Bradley Pond to the Ward Brook lean-to. That would be a pretty good ski trip if nobody has been out there yet.

Very Exciting Update
      We are happy to announce that through the generosity and support of the hiking community we have already reached our initial goal of $5,000 and Neil has not even started the Thru Hike!

Our hope was to raise enough that we could at least donate $2,500 to the Forest Ranger Foundation and still have funds available of other grants and expenses. Now that we reached the original goal we have made the decision to up that donation to $3,000 as a base and every dollar now above that $5K will now go directly to the Forest Ranger Foundation on top of the $3K!

Thanks to everyone who has supported this effort so far

More information can be found on the ADK Highpeaks Foundation Here

Ed Viesturs

Comment

From what he said on the 46of46 Podcast, it sounds like he's going to need some trail breaking from Bradley Pond to the Ward Brook lean-to. That would be a pretty good ski trip if nobody has been out there yet.
        that is a good call! i'm not sure my old beater skinny skis are up to the task but it is a good idea.

that stretch of trail in midwinter probably has more moose than people!

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          Oh, and some dude completed the Johannsen Last Call on a pair of skinny race skis a few years ago. 7 hours and some change! Your beaters are probably up to the task 😏

• greatexpectations
          greatexpectations commented
          Editing a comment
          commenting on the state of the skis was just a way to distract from the fact that my skiing ambition does not at all match my skiing ability

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          Ha! Ok that’s fair.

Bradley Pond to the Ward Brook lean-to?

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.0963512,-74.1106716/Ward+Pond+Brook+Lean-to,+Newcomb,+NY+12852,+United+States/@44.0247713,-74.1580082,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4ccad7e004f276dd:0x3 8f1b3f99c910da7!2m2!1d-74.1486369!2d44.0207763!3e2?hl=en&entry=ttu
        Last edited by Yury; 01-24-2024, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
          Learning The Trails commented
          Editing a comment
          That map is wrong. Super wrong.
          Ward Brook LT is enroute to Seymour.

And, Bradley Pond isn't marked properly either.

This is why we don't rely on google in the high peaks...

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          Learning The Trails LOL, yes, correct. His route will take him from the Santanoni Range, past Duck Hole, to the Sewards. Somebody's supposed to be preparing him a gourmet meal when he gets to the WB lean-to, which he'll deserve every bit of by the time he gets there with all the work he's putting into this one on this timeline.

Originally posted by Yury View Post
        Bradley Pond to the Ward Brook lean-to?

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.09...l=en&entry=ttu
        Yup a long row to hoe
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

The map is correct, Yury just found the wrong lean-to- but the mistake is understandable given that the two lean-tos have very similar names. Ward Pond Brook is a separate/different lean-to from the Ward Brook lean-to, located at a different spot (Newcomb Lake, in this case).

You can view both lean-tos in the photo album I posted a year ago here: https://www.adkforum.com/forum/the-a...on-image-heavy

Comment

• Learning The Trails
            Learning The Trails commented
            Editing a comment
            It's absolutely wrong in regards to the thru hike which is being discussed...

Here is the mapped route with all the pertinent information
          User created map: Adirondack 46 Winter Through Hike , ID 013HU, on CalTopo. Backcountry or your backyard; research, plan, share, and take maps with you on your mobile device. View real time data, choose layers that suit your needs, print maps, record tracks and more.
          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
            Here is the mapped route with all the pertinent information
            https://caltopo.com/m/013HU?fbclid=I...hUNWlEBX2puv1w
            Thanks. So if I am reading the map correctly, he will be camped at the Feldspar Lean-to on the evening of Saturday, February 24th?

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post

Thanks. So if I am reading the map correctly, he will be camped at the Feldspar Lean-to on the evening of Saturday, February 24th?
              Yes then a big day on the 25th
              Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post

By my calculations I will arrive at Feldspar on Day 10, which will be Friday Feb. 23.

That is, if I succeed in sticking to my planned itinerary.

Comment

OK, yeah, that makes sense. I made the mistake of counting without including the first day.

Comment

It's great to see how many long time (classic? oldies? ) forum members are stepping up to step into the breach with Neil on his adventure. Looks like he will have some very capable companions along for the fun.

Comment

Starts tomorrow.... Will there be updates here?
                      I see Facebook and IN Reach on the fundraiser main page.

Comment

Working...
                      X