Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gathering 2020. March 13-15. POSTPONED

WHEN:

POSTPONED: After much discussion and deliberation and out of an abundance of caution concerning the Corona Virus pandemic we have made the decision to postpone the Gathering to a later date, still to be determined.

THERE WILL BE NO PUBLIC EVENT THIS WEEKEND so please disregard previous a previous invitation to stop by the Hostel Saturday evening.

For those of us who have already made reservations for this weekend at the hostel, we look forward to seeing you there as a normal weekend however their will not be an official pot luck dinner or fundraiser.

WHERE: Tmax and Topo's Hostel.
    5046 Cascade Rd, Lake Placid, NY 12946
    518-523-0123

WHO: Friends of the ADK High Peaks Foundation and all mountain lovers.

How Many: TMax-n-Topo’s holds 23 overnight guests in the bunks and we have to fill it for the event to take place. The rates are super reasonable ($31.50 per person per night, plus tax) and everyone brings their own food and drink. The Hostel has a large kitchen for all guests to use. There is a two-night minimum on winter weekends.

HOW: contact David Gomlak (518-523-0123) of hostel fame and book your bunk or room ASAP because the places are limited.

The Foundation have been running this gathering for more than a decade and it has always been a ton of fun and a huge success. Note that we request a donation so that we can continue our good works within the Forest Preserve (SAR, fire tower restoration, biological research, trail improvements and so on).
    ADKHP Foundation: the little engine that could, can and will always be able (as long as the big bucks continue to pour in).
    Last edited by Neil; 03-12-2020, 10:51 AM.

I’ve already booked my bunk. I put my vacation request in at work, so I have my fingers crossed that I get the time to go. I’m looking forward to seeing many of the famous 46’rs and other hikers. I’ve had the honor of hiking with many 46’rs. I won’t be hiking any peaks, since I lack the equipment or funds to purchase any, but I hope to do a nice walk along the Lake Road to Ausable Lake. I’ll make my famous Bratwursts, if anyone is interested and perhaps, make a pancake breakfast with bacon on Sunday morning for everyone. I make killer pancakes by cooking them in butter and making the edges crispy. Naturally, I’ll be using real maple syrup from South Meadows up the road.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      If I go Gerard, I'll bring some extra winter gear and we'll do something together!

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan! I’m anxious to try out snow shoes.

this always seems to be a weekend I work.
    Carol

Comment

SummitHat and I will attend Saturday night.

Comment

Two more bunks reserved at Tmax and Topo's Hostel for the gathering--James and I will be there!
        46/46, 20/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

I will be coming this year. Looking forward to meeting people and trying Gerard's pancakes!

Comment

Space is runing out please call TMax and Topo's
            HOW: contact David Gomlak (518-523-0123) of hostel fame and book your bunk or room ASAP because the places are limited.
            "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Just a reminder for those joining for the first time. The weekend pretty much goes like this.
              • people start arriving at T-Max and Topo’s Friday evening and hang out, maybe have some snacks and beverages and retire fairly early(ish)
              • Saturday morning go hike, climb or ski something with friends.
              • Saturday evening, pot luck dinner. Bring or make enough to share with maybe 3 or four people. The hostel had a full commercial kitchen if you need to warm things up or final touches.
              • eat drink and celebrate the day with great people.
              • finally this event has been our major fundraiser for the year. We rely on the gracious generosity of the forum and foundation community to fund grants to support initiatives in the Adirondacks. You are not required to make a donation to participate in the gathering but if you can find it in your budget we accept cash, checks, visa, MasterCard, discover, PayPal, beads, and trinkets.
              • thanks in advance and look forward to seeing everyone.
              "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
              Ed Viesturs

Comment

POSTPONED: After much discussion and deliberation and out of an abundance of caution concerning the Corona Virus pandemic we have made the decision to postpone the Gathering to a later date, still to be determined.

THERE WILL BE NO PUBLIC EVENT THIS WEEKEND so please disregard previous a previous invitation to stop by the Hostel Saturday evening.

For those of us who have already made reservations for this weekend at the hostel, we look forward to seeing you there as a normal weekend however their will not be an official pot luck dinner or fundraiser.

Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
                  POSTPONED:
                  As hard as that was to make, I think it was in the best interest of all.

Beside, it might make it easier for me to attend later on.

If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Spring gathering? Summer? Hopefully, at least a fall gathering.

In the meanwhile, because I work in health care, if I visit ANY other country, I have to go in to quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning home. Same goes for many other categories of workers.

Comment

My partner is in the same boat (healthcare worker), and with the latest recommendation of the Canadian government to avoid crossing the border we are reluctantly bailing as well. I was hoping to finish my W46 this weekend on Seymour. Try again next winter!

Comment

• ADKJack
                      ADKJack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry to hear you have to wait another year but understandable under the circumstances

• mbowler
                      mbowler commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Been picking away at the winter list for twelve years... I am sure the mountain will wait for another :-)

I heard on TV tonight that Plattsburgh is bracing for the economic impact.....Canadians canít come over for shopping. No joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
                      Charlene 2.0 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For 73 cents on the dollar, they’d be crazy rich or idiots to do so.
                  Working...
                  X