Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PA- AWESOME.

Comment

Maybe this will be the year that I make an appearance. Hafta see how I'm feeling. Not really into crowds. I do owe Italian food to the pot-luck though.
      Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Oooh, I'm going to be anxiously awaiting your decision!
        #8335W, Solo Winter 46
        ADK Grid 304/552
        Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
        ADK Quest #119
        NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Can't make it to Gathering this year as I will be flying home to Scotland, on the 4th, with my wife and daughter, for the first time in nearly 15 years.
          Will miss all you guys.
          “In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.”
          ― Eric Liddell

Comment

I wish I wasn't eight hours away, I would certainly be there if I was closer. I just have too many trips already jammed into February and March. Thank you for everything you guys do to keep this site up and running efficiently as possible.

I hate the new format too, but I have learned to live with it. My daughter and I have both benefited tremendously from a number of people on here in our quest for 46. We'll finish it next year...maybe even before the winter season closes, we'll see how the weather cooperates.

And I too don't exist in FB terms...that crap is the bane of mankind's existence, but that's just my opinion. I refuse to give in to it, I see how it consumes my wife every waking moment. It drives me nuts.

Anyway, Thanks again. And I hope to run into some more of you on the trails in the future.

Steve
            46/46 - #9464
            7/46 "W"
            NE115 - 53/115

Comment

Of significant interest is that the forum, month over previous year's same month, gets the same traffic now as it was getting prior to the "upgrade". And, prior to the upgrade forum traffic and posts were continuously increasing. Now the forum is getting the same readership (based on stats such as page requests, unique visitors etc.) but people are writing fewer posts.

Last edited by Neil; 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthBay View Post

I hate the new format too, but I have learned to live with it. My daughter and I have both benefited tremendously from a number of people on here in our quest for 46. We'll finish it next year...maybe even before the winter season closes, we'll see how the weather cooperates.

And I too don't exist in FB terms...that crap is the bane of mankind's existence, but that's just my opinion. I refuse to give in to it, I see how it consumes my wife every waking moment. It drives me nuts.

Steve
                It is my observation that the postings to the web-site have been slow/quiet - but I also agree with Neal that this is typical. The flow of postings ebbs and flows depending on the hiking conditions. Due to the relatively late start to winter hiking conditions and the lack of good snow coverage hikers may have been dormant. Now that winter appears to be in full swing, hopefully more people will start posting Upcoming Trips and then Trip Reports.
                “In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.”
                ― Eric Liddell

Comment

Can't make it because I'm already registered for the Shamrock Run that day and can't bail on my team. I'm a little saddened by this because I'd love to finally be able to put a face to some of your names and witty comments, and also because I didn't get to meet anyone new at the 46'r Premier in Syracuse.

Thanks a ton to our forum admins and unofficial leaders for all that you do to keep this site operational and gifting the rest of us with invaluable information and motivation throughout the year.
                  My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

I would love to come. But with my schedule and being 9 hours away it probably won't happen. However, I would love the opportunity to meet people in person. I am one of those lurkers. I have limited experience and have only hiked 10 peaks. So, I feel like I have nothing to offer the Forum. However, I spend countless hours reading everyone's posts. At times I feel like I'm living through Trail Boss, JoeCedar, Neil and others who hike on a regular basis.
                    Thanks to everyone who maintain the site and those who share their journeys and advice. I'm more excited about and prepared to hike in the Adirondacks because of you.

Comment

Bump!!
                      Still Peaks to be claimed and rooms available.

Please join in the fun!
                      Also the wonderful folks at the ADK Trail Inn provide us with the run of the establishment, use of the kitchen, game room and dining room based upon full occupancy by our members. They would not want to inconvenience other guests so they set this weekend aside for us. This is extremely generous on their behalf and we hope (well beg actually) you to book a room if you plan on attending. Its is so. worth it after a day of hiking and food and beverage to be able to just fall into bed without having to drive. Let them know you are with the Gathering and they will give you the group rate.

Cant wait to see everyone!
                      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Picture yourself on a boat on a river....all about the ADK High Peaks Foundation Winter Gathering

Picture yourself in a pleasant room at 6 pm, a winter peak just done, an adult beverage in hand, the aroma of a post-hiking feast wafting out from the kitchen. All around you are great people who you either know or have been wanting to meet. You've read their on-line trip reports and funny and insightful comments on the the forum or on Facebook. The evening will unfold for hours as you make platefuls of incredible hiker food disappear and a table heavily laden with home-made desserts awaits. You can have as many conversations as you feel like: one or two or fifty. Your bed for the night is a scant 50 feet away.

That is as good a synopsis of a typical gathering as any. Except one thing is missing: this blissful evening, which caps off a day of winter hiking with friends raises anywhere from 5 to 15 000 for the Adirondacks. It all depends on your generosity and commitment to participate by donating.
                        These Forum/Foundation Gatherings began 12 years ago as a simple and informal weekend with maybe 30 people attending. Being able to completely take over the motel's commercially equipped kitchen and cozy dining room has allowed us to host and expand this event through the years.

The Fund Raising (our reason for existing): hiking can be a highly individualistic pursuit and for many people the 46er peak list provides a measure of accomplishment. We head out the door and conquer these peaks and keep a tally of our progress. Winter peaks, spring, monthly, grid, solo rounds, the 47th peak. It's all about the mountains and to a great extent, its all about us as individuals and our achievements. We proudly post our pictures and trip reports on-line and bask in a flow of likes and congratulations when we reach a milestone.

What could be finer? Taking it to a higher level.

Participating in an ADK High Peaks Foundation fund raising event means being a part of a social group and our individual efforts add up to something much bigger than climbing to the top of say, Blake Peak. Giving a little something back (say the cost of a pair of microspikes and gaitors) will encourage and materially assist the efforts of thousands of people who make the Adirondacks such a hiking paradise. The Foundation has funded Summit Stewards on Cascade Peak, funded training and gear for SAR groups, provided grant money for a DNA sequencing of a rare plant to assess it's ability to evolve in the face of climate change, just to name a few projects that individual hikers, through the Foundation, have funded over the years.

So, can you picture yourself having an amazing weekend, hiking a peak, meeting a roomful of like-minded hiking crazies, stuffing yourself guiltlessly with incredible food (the desserts are to die for), sharing an adult beverage or two and talking, talking talking about hiking all evening long? If so, make a donation right now and come on out and join us on the weekend of March 4-6 at the ADK Trail Inn between Keene and Upper Jay on Rte 9N. Can't make a donation? Not a problem, you are always 100% welcome to come and take part in the entire suite of pleasurable activities.
                        • Suggested donation: in the past people have donated anywhere between $20 and $500. Click Here to donate, like right now.
                        • Venue: ADK Trail Inn scroll down for the map. To reserve: call 518-527-1155 Say you're with the forum.
                        • Typical Gathering “schedule”: People start to roll in on Friday night for some chit-chat in the main dining room/lounge, turn in early and do a hike on Saturday. By Saturday afternoon around 4:00 people, bearing large quantities of excellent hiker-friendly food, start showing up in the Inn's dining room/lounge and they keep on showing up all evening long.
                        • What food to bring: click here to see the food thread on the forum.
                        • What peak to do? Click here for the claimed peak list.
                        • Alternative accommodations: Additional Lodging: Tmax and Topo's World-famous Hostel, Brookside Inn, Keene Valley Hostel. Also, take a look at the Trip Advisor page for Keene Valley.
                        • The Foundation's previous grants: Click here.

Comment

Thank you Jack, Neil and everyone else who keeps this forum and foundation going strong. Cindy and I will be attending the gathering for the first time this year and look forward to meeting you.
                          "...he went because he felt the call of the wilderness, a call ever irresistible to him in whose veins flows the blood of the explorer." Warren W. Hart

Comment

• ADKJack
                            ADKJack commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Look forward to meeting you as well

Neil, edit out "like-minded hiking crazies". It will hurt attendance.

Comment

Will the Winter Gathering be held on the same weekend? Or different ones? I put my vacations through in October for 2017. I'd like to attend the next one. Also, when is the summer gathering?
                            Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• ADKJack
                              ADKJack commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The winter gathering is dependent on when it works for the ADK Trail Inn since they are gracious enough to allow us to take the place over for the weekend.
                              Summer gathering is ???

I haven't found a post on where we send our pictures for yesterday. Great day, wish I had made the gathering but the Santanoni range whipped me into exhaustion for the long ride to Upper Jay.

Comment

Working...
                            X