Dix via Rt. 73 / Dix Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dix via Rt. 73 / Dix Trail

Dix trail tracked out from the Round Pond trailhead. A team had originally tracked this out on 1/19 (thank you!), and we were the first ones in since then. About 3-4 inches of fresh powder on the trail, and it snowed the entire day. Snowshoes from start to finish. Departed trailhead at 8:00 am, returned at 6:30 pm.

No tracks coming up from Hunter's Pass. Good luck with that.

No views atop Dix, winds in the 20s.

That climb along the upper Dix Slide - is there a steeper marked trail in the ADK? Made for some great butt sliding on the way out though. Almost too much powder during the slide which was slowing us down.
    Redtail
    LT 06
    46x46

I would say that trail is in the top 5 for steepness similar to the trail from lake Colden to the Algonquin/Boundary Col or the trail from Whiteface landing
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

according to joecedar the top 5 (given a set of criteria) are
      1. dix from round pond
      2. dix via hunter's pass
      3. seymour
      4. allen
      5. macomb

thread: https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...teepest+trails

the pdf with the list is on page 4 of the thread.

Comment

• Redtail
        Redtail commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew there'd be a list - thank you for uncovering. Confirmed.

• WNY Wanderer
        WNY Wanderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Interestingly enough, Cascade (widely regarded as the easiest of the 46) cracked that list of steepest trails.
    Working...
    X