X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAYSTACK 1-10-21

go now!
    It is a weird winter so far.
    .Hillsound Micros from Garden Lot ( no parking issues at all) to just past Shorey cut off, then snowhoes to Haystack jct at Range Trail. There was a slight presence of previous traffic, but we trenched it out nicely. We took the crampons and whippet ice tool for a ride, as it was back to Hillsounds for the trip over Little Haystack and to the summit. Easiest trip in winter I have ever had, yet no other people out on a Sunday?
    Definetly need to carry snowshoes as the snow up higher is loose and sugary.
    Think outside...no box required !

Great hike!! And I definitely agree it has been a very easy winter so far. It does seem like there are far less people out from what I recall years ago. This is nice right now but may mean more difficult days ahead when the snow finally comes and needs lots of folks to pack all the routes down.

Comment

Good snowshoe conditions from Slant Rock to Saddleback cliffs yesterday (1/12), excepting K10s for Little Haystack/Haystack. No problem with ice on either side of Basin. A little more snow accumulation from flurries than AL saw on Sunday.

Comment

Yesterday we got last use of the low snow conditions. Had fantastic conditions at Haystack. After the clouds began moving in.
        A couple of pictures attached. My partners had not climbed Saddleback much so that climb took a bit longer than I thought it might. The cliffs had had a dusting. I led and cleared off the rock as best I could with my mountaineers ax.

Haystack Summit
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02095.JPG.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	510326

Climbing Saddleback
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02100_.JPG.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.2 KB ID:	510327

Comment

Hey, I was the solo backpacker guy staying at Slant Rock who you bumped into on both Ha and Ba--conditions were great. Expected more wind and no other hikers. Did not realize you were part of that group. Briefly met you as we were coming off Allen in September 2013 (then you passed us again at the Hudson). You were getting close to finishing your first grid then. Assume you are working on a second (or third?) grid by now. Good luck.
          s

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi happy to have seen you again. I did finish a 2nd Grid but don’t figure to do another.

Did you camp out or go back that evening?

Don

• Billy Bogroll
            Billy Bogroll commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, congrats on a second grid!  I've only done a half dozen peaks more than 5 times!  I'm just doing things like trying to finish a solo winter round (3 left), hike on most trails in ADK's (redlining)--been on all the horse trails in western high peaks, stay in as many different lean to's (70 different ones in ADK's), etc., These are just rationales to get out hiking and backpacking.  That evening, I repositioned to Chicken Coop lean to at Bushnell Falls.  3 hour hike out the next morning in wet snow.

Happy hiking,
            ​​​​​​​John
        Working...
        X