Trail conditions above 4k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail conditions above 4k?

No recent trail condition reports lately so here goes.

Anyone know trail conditions above 4k since the recent snowfall this week?
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Conditions above 4K will be changing fast in the days to come. My guess is that all south-facing slopes will be bare by Saturday, surely by Sunday. North-facing slopes will likely retain some snow above 4K through the weekend, but not to the end of this warm spell - now predicted to have valley temperatures in the 60s through Wednesday.

Comment

I heard that Calkins Brook was about three inches higher this morning than it was a few weeks ago. Also seeing photos/videos on social media with some snow on trail and lots water on trails, both running and standing.
      ADKHP Wiki

Comment

I also heard that in the Macs today, anywhere that water runs on the trail was six inches of slush.
        ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
          I also heard that in the Macs today, anywhere that water runs on the trail was six inches of slush.
          It was the same way on the Phelps trail between Bushnell Falls leanto and slant rock and beyond. One big wet mess.

This section is always wet, but this is over the top.
          If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Yesterday in the Macs the north side of Algonquin and the Iroquois herdpath were sloppy messes. Spring conditions. I expect the snow will not last long, but lots of water until then. There was no ice or snow above treeline.

Comment

Conditions were an improvement today over yesterday. On Saturday, the worst I saw was the trail to Skylight, which was 5" of slush with another 5" of running water on top. In the Macs today, things were much better than Bill's experience on Friday. No need for spikes on Algonquin or Iroquois. Wet rock the whole way with only a little ice, that was avoidable. Trails down low are surprisingly mostly dry.
              ADKHP Wiki

Comment

• BillB
                BillB commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice to see that improved. No ice or snow on Giant & Rocky today.

JBL to Haystack (attempt) on Saturday 11/28. First 1.5 miles dry then over the brook was "interesting" Fortunately stayed dry but not so much for the leashed pup. Thank you whoever put the old car frame in the middle of the creek (I think, not sure where it came from, but otherwise anything S wouldn't be happening due to water volume). Why is there no bridge here? I know, I get it about the huge metal to assist the crossing.

Phelps trail from brook towards Slant Rock was a creek. A brook, not a river, well almost. No ice, except a thin layer over water (not slippery, no spikes needed). Absolutely soaked up to the knee and decided to turn around b/t Slant Rock and Little Marcy. Just too too much water every step.

JBL up to Big Slide then out over Brothers to Garden Sunday 11/29 different story. Crossing the brook going up to BS from JBL is fine, just watch the icy rocks, but basically ok. Daughter did go swimming bottom half however due to ice on rocks. Fortunately had spare clothes and plastic bags for boots. From 3000' to summit (and back down to 3000' over Brothers) spikes required. Solid solid ice. Very doable in spikes. Hardly any water. Much different than phelps day before. Super views on Great Range on Sunday from BS summit. Not bad walking out that way too! Be prepared out there! Ahhh what 3 feet of snow would do to cover it all!

Comment

Working...
              X