Cliff from Upper Works - June 13th, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cliff from Upper Works - June 13th, 2020

• Compared to trails from the HPIC, these are much narrower and in several spots before Lake Colden quite muddy. my son went in once between Upper Works and the Henderson monument above the boot and once on Cliff Spur. Many bog bridges in tough shape, having poles were a plus for finding old corduroy under the mud, very helpful. Did not need High Water Bridge below Calamity Pond. Cliff Spur below cliffs was a wide mudhole with all going around edges or across whatever was still in the mud, logs, rocks etc, they were few and far between though
    • Cold Day with flurries kept all bugs away until we reached the car.
    • Rock scrambles were very difficult, lots of tree and root holding. Hardest single peak hike I've done.
    • 43/46 completed. 112/115
    Last edited by Mike P.; 06-15-2020, 03:02 PM. Reason: grammar and typos of ocurse

You're almost there, Mike P! Keep digging! Hopefully you have some of the easier peaks left for your finish. You should already feel accomplished if you're 112 into the NE 115!

Comment

• Mike P.
      Mike P. commented
      Editing a comment
      Emmons, so a Donaldson repeat and then Dial and Nippletop

May have seen you on Saturday. We were camped at Uphill Lean To and did Cliff on Friday, Redfield on Saturday. You're right about that muddy stretch before flowed lands. I slipped due to wet boots on a rock and fell on my back into a mud wallow, with my backpack firmly entrenched in the mud. I lay there like a turtle and went to put my hand down to get up and I went up to my elbow in mud! Ugh! My friend gave me a quick hand up and was kind enough not to take a picture, though we both decided that he should have as we joked about it afterwards! Congrats on getting close to finishing the 46 and the 115!

Comment

• Mike P.
      Mike P. commented
      Editing a comment
      We were a tall thin 17 year old and a old slower fat guy.... As I read your comment I was thinking that was a photo op, you do have a true friend.

• Bunchberry
      Bunchberry commented
      Editing a comment
      The lack of photo is a crime against humanity! It could have been used to warn people off hiking in mud season!

Bunchberry it would have been a classic photo. John is just too nice a person!

Comment

• Mike P.
      Mike P. commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been in a similar position in snow but not mud, I sent your description to several friends and apologized. If I had been John and my friends were in your predicament, I would have taken the shot. Now I'm not on FB or any other social media so at best me keeping it mum would only be to get an IPA or two....

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike P. So, if we ever hike together I know the price to buy your silence!
Working...
X