PG or Allen lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG or Allen lately?

It appears inevitable that my next trip will have me wading in what could be some fairly deep water along the way. Thats not really a problem as much as it presents a question in my mind. Do I want to wade across the Opalescent, or do I want to wade through Marcy Swamp. Before anyone says both, my buddy already suggested that and you can now imagine yourself getting the same dirty look he got.

Anyone been out to Allen or PG lately? Not looking for the easy out. Just looking for current beta to help me decide.
    Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

I haven't been.

However, I can comment that the Newcomb Water Flow gauge looks pretty low. Less than 200 CFS.
    I'd project <knee deep for most of at what was called "temporary crossing." I wonder if the Rangers have 'un brushed' that little spur to the River Bank and reinstalled the sign (or disc).

There is also what I call the Joe Cedar Crossing. It is just downstream of the site of the missing bridge. Only one large step as I recall. Maybe Joe will see your post and also comment.

Comment

Yeh. Honestly I was thinking that it wouldn't be that high and that I wouldn't be a muddy mess if thats the way I went. Being the mud man of Marcy Swamp has a certain appeal, but its hell on the car interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
        Yeh. Honestly I was thinking that it wouldn't be that high and that I wouldn't be a muddy mess if thats the way I went. Being the mud man of Marcy Swamp has a certain appeal, but its hell on the car interior.
        You could always drive home naked but that brings to mind, years ago someone was doing that in Lake Placid as a joke. His car caught on fire! Busted!

Comment

After you've forded the Inlet to the Upper Ausable Lake (bridge out), the rest of Marcy Swamp is not muddy due to the new (2015) planking. Of course there is still some mud before you reach Panther Gorge.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post

You could always drive home naked but that brings to mind, years ago someone was doing that in Lake Placid as a joke. His car caught on fire! Busted!
            Nobody wants that.

Comment

word from a couple I chatted with on 6/14....they had done Allen on 6/13. Said the opal crossing you could rock hop no problem. They opted to take shoes off to get a little cooling action going on tired feet. Also said rest of trail was just fine. Usual stuff--steep last mile, slime was there but didn't pose a problem, etc, etc.

Comment

I went Sunday afternoon. Water is LOW. Easy crossing. I too removed my shoes and enjoyed the cool water. Can't speak to the conditions on the slide, I took a left at Skylight Brook. Can speak to the conditions in and around the brook. A bit rough going. It's quiet in there though. There is also 2 ponds, 2 slides, and a HH peak for anyone thinking of going. Where the brook branches to the left and heads towards the pond/swamp formed by the drainage of the Redfield slide is some of the thickest stuff I have ever seen. Blowdown like you've never seen before. Only Ouluska Pass and ST #9 have been tougher so far. The heat was not helping matters. Pretty sure I drank everything left in Skylight Brook by yesterday evening on my way out. We need rain.

Comment

• Groundpounder
                  Groundpounder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great report! I've read very few reports of people that ventured into that area without a few feet of snowpack.

• Commissionpoint
                  Commissionpoint commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeh. I like the places nobody wants to go.
              Working...
              X