Street + Nye (as of February 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street + Nye (as of February 3)

Little reason to post at this point given there'll be a solid dumping of perhaps a foot or so on the high peaks in the coming 48 hours, but wanted to share the trip up to Street + Nye I took on Monday. The Indian Pass trail from the Loj gate house was solid, and the herd path from there really to both summits was as well.

Could probably have barebooted the whole way, but I put the snowshoes on at the 2-mile mark as the ascent began in earnest, to help ease strain on the Achilles. There were only a few downed trees to navigate around/over/under, nothing terrible. At one point the broken-out path led up along a stream bed, which got a bit annoying with the bumpy rocks -- seemed like it should perhaps climb up to the left instead to make the way easier once Spring comes.

The main river crossing was well-bridged for travel across and should remain so for the foreseeable forecast period, even with a slightly warmer day in there.

It's a real pleasant hike, and was a welcome change from the Giant + Rocky Peak Ridge hike I'd done the day before; the difference in elevation gain over mileage is stark between these two pairs!

Can't wait to get back to the ADKs. Sewards coming up next for President's weekend, and hoping to get back up there once, maybe twice again after that before the Spring Equinox. With Street + Nye, I'm at 13 of the W46.
    New England 100 Highest: 1st round (all-season) Sept. 2017; 2nd round (Winter) March 2019
    Mt. Adams (12,276', Washington state,) Mt. San Gorgonio (11,504'), Helvellyn (England)

AMC Trails Co-Adopter, Zeacliff Trail (WMNF)
    Founder + Administrator, Hike the 4000 Footers of NH! Facebook group

Originally posted by HikerSinger View Post
    At one point the broken-out path led up along a stream bed, which got a bit annoying with the bumpy rocks -- seemed like it should perhaps climb up to the left instead to make the way easier once Spring comes.
    Believe or not it's the normal route. When there's no snow you will cross the brook twice (an over and back) in a matter of 50 yards or less.

Comment

Working...
    X