Cascade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascade

This is my first post and doubt too many here will benefit as Cascade is such a tourist trail but . . .

January 25, 2020. As is typical, the traffic had packed everything down and with microspikes footing was really good. The occasional ice flow wasn't a problem but I did notice a number of folks that were more of the Lake Placid tourist type on rented snowshoes which would have invariably made the those spots more difficult. Snowpack was low for this time of year and so snowshoe pinch can happen, unfortunately a few of the folks mentioned that the Placid retailers had told them they would get a $250 ticket if they didn't rent & wear them. Conditions were in the 30's and cloud covered but didn't effect the view, spectacular as always but as windy as I've ever experienced, 50mph plus.

Welcome and thanks for the post. When you first step out onto the open rock is when you start to notice the lack of wind protection you enjoyed on the ascent. And as you discovered it picks up as you head up, always exhilarating, especially in winter.
    we know that the trail on cascade gets packed out more so than most but the lake placid “tourists” were actually correct, at least in part. You are required to carry snowshoes right now since the snow amount at elevation off trail greatly exceeds 12”. Even on hard pack it is still a good idea to wear snowshoes in order to keep it that way.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

• Zeekio
      Zeekio commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ed and with all due respect snowshoes in the conditions make the climb technically more difficult and demands more energy. I understand the purpose for the standard (ie: law) but as with every rule there's the caveat for common sense. I did a summit of Big Slide in November and followed the rule only to find that the low snowpack created real issues, a change to microspikes made all the difference. Thanks again for your reply & Happy New Year.

Many people here are going for a winter 46r patch and would love a Cascade trip report. Every trip report is a good thing.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Zeekio
      Zeekio commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bunch!
Working...
X