X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JaymieSecord
    started a topic Big Slide via Brothers 4/10/19

Big Slide via Brothers 4/10/19

So, The Garden is still open. I think this was to be expected. However, all the signs said "Lot Full", despite only two cars at 730am and about by 230pm. There was also no one on duty and no envelopes to pay for parking. I slipped money in anyway. Maybe they're already trying to discourage before the summer shutdown? Maybe the sign always says "Lot Full", this is my first time from the Garden.

The trail was basically ice from the trailhead. I used spikes the entire way. Had snowshoes with me but even close to and at the summits, there was only a couple millimeters of fresh snow. Trail was super packed and frozen snow in spots where the ice had finally let up. It was hovering around 0 degrees all day (32F) and was only about -4C up top.

You could tell someone had postholed their way to the summit. Possibly 3 days ago, as that was the last Big Slide sign in at the register.

My only real issue was with a couple of the rock scrambles. Between the first and second Brother of I recall. And one a little further. They were pure ice and real slippery.

Only saw two other hikers all day. A couple on their way up while I had already hit the summit and was heading down . One other had registered for LWJ and one for another mountain I forget.

All in all, a pretty easy day. Thanks to the folks who suggested Big Slide for an April hike, appreciated.

• JaymieSecord
    replied
    I'm noticing in a couple of YouTube videos about Big Slide that there were folks following the red trail markers. Would this be the trail that is now closed? Does this trail avoid the Brothers?

Leave a comment:

• ndru
    replied
    The parking lot signs often say "lot full" when they're really not. Happened to me at both The Garden and Elk Lake last Fall. I always make it a habit to go and check, just in case. Which sorta defeats the purpose of the signs, but what can ya do?

I've also had to create my own envelope at times and have started carrying extras (and a pen) in my car.

Attendant or not, I always make sure to pay. The only buzzkill to that is not having exact change, so sometimes they'll get a $20 instead of $5 or $10, but I figure it's for a good cause, so I don't mind that much.

Leave a comment:

• salt
    commented on 's reply
    Well you'll always have that mental photo.

• JaymieSecord
    commented on 's reply
    I wish I could've met you! I've yet to meet anyone from the forums on the trail yet. One of these days!

• JaymieSecord
    commented on 's reply
    Such a whoa moment. Great view. I wish I'd gotten a good photo of the actual "big slide" but it was pretty cloudy and the slippery ice didn't give me much stability to get a great shot while still being safe.

• salt
    replied
    When you get to your first opening where the views open up is just one of those "whoa" moments. Good stuff, congrats

Leave a comment:

• Hear the Footsteps
    replied
    Hello,

Ours was one of the two cars in the parking area. We knew the "Full" sign was due to nobody on duty there to put it back up after it fell down. Wondered if someone would drive back to town and walk back up and I'm happy you did not. We also found the trails had a wide spine with good support today. Should be OK tomorrow but there'll be softening over the rest of the week and weekend as temperatures increase.

Don.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X