Mt Marshall 2-12-19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt Marshall 2-12-19

As a practice I don't write up about someone else's route; however, I found this really interesting.

There are multiple tracks up Mt Marshall as a result of a deep snow scar throughout Herbert Brook from the recent rain. There's the usual one that always goes left climbing way too steep a pitch when there's a crossing right to an easier ascent. And another I took on the right of the brook when the path is on the left.

Fortunately there's just one to the summit and the reason for this note. The route is blazed up to the col between Mt Marshall and it's shorter sibling slightly to the SE (~4230'), a rocky cobble that you'd never see otherwise. There's also nearby a small snow clearing with a great view of Iroquois. After several consecutive days hiking I decided not to climb the cobble. It doesn't seem to have much prominence and might only make your personal list.

Also, there was a great view yesterday just before sunrise over Schroon Lake toward Pharaoh Mountain.
    Attached Files

I may know the guy that navigated that trail . It's not even too bad except just below the ridgeline where it's a little thick. And a lot of people summited Marshall on it in since it was made too! You've done alot of miles in the last few days Don, nice.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Doug,

It really is a nice route. Bet it would even has a lot less mud too !!

Don

The first time Doug and I met he was in the bottom of a spruce trap near the southeast summit. I guess he is just drawn to such things.

Don and I followed another path in January which stayed closer to the summer herdpath and eventually rejoined it near the top. I guess it is gone now.

...Marshall is so much fun...

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
      Editing a comment
      Yes Joe, that route we followed was nowhere to be seen.

I wasn't about to try to rebreak it .

Don
      Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 02-14-2019, 05:32 PM.

I was busting trail probably half way up when a couple guys caught up to me that had never been on the mountain. As we were taking turns breaking they kept asking me if we were going alright. I must have told them a half dozen times that we just have to stay in the drainage until it flattens out . . . as I led them right up the wrong way. I was working hard near those ledges in Don's picture when one of the guys said as he looked backward "don't we need to be over there?" I looked up and sheepiishly said oops, sorry fellas, were on the wrong side of the bump. Alot of people informed me on the way down that this wasn't the normal herd path. Yup, I know, now.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
      Editing a comment
      Don't need to say sorry about that route.

I enjoyed having something new to climb.

And I meant it, the way it goes it would have less mud that the current path. Because it keeps climbing.

Don

• mbowler
      mbowler commented
      Editing a comment
      I quite enjoyed that route too. Worked fairly well I thought, and no mud!

I wouldn't be too concerned when a modern hiker who's never even been on the mountain informs you that you went an untraditional way. So annoying. Tell them they are hiking in an untraditional way.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Hey Don,

G and I are heading up this weekend and thinking about Marshall, and look who I find while researching current conditions. Thanks for the notes, hope all is well.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Editing a comment
        Yeah nice to hear from you C. Have fun.
    Working...
    X