Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost to Uphill Brook LT 12/1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Almost to Uphill Brook LT 12/1

    Broke trail almost to Uphill Brook LT. Turned around at the height of land where the trail was just starting the descent. It was 10 min past my turnaround time.

    There's a broken section of cable on the downstream side of the Opalescent suspension bridge. The cable on the upstream side is OK, just be careful there.

    Four people on the trail from Upper works since the last snowfall. Forum member dpeters6 was first, did the most work at breaking trail, and ended up climbing Mt Colvin after sleeping over. One hiker went to Hanging Spear Falls. One hiker was attempting to climb Marshall.

    Trail is in pretty good condition to Herbert Brook. I spent extra effort packing down on the way to Uphill Brook. I had hoped to get to Cliff but it'll end up being a two day effort to get there.

    Don

  • #2
    What's your estimate on the snow depth around Upper Works?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dundee View Post
      What's your estimate on the snow depth around Upper Works?
      20 inches. I checked it with my pole on the road just after starting and it was pretty consistent through the day. Where there is good spruce cover overhead there is less on the ground. The snow is not consolidated so you get over 24" in a number of places on trail and through areas where in can be wind blown. When I was breaking the snow above the Opalescent suspension bridge the snow wasn't real heavy. I was trying to improve things on my way back down from near Uphill Brook for a return trip. That proved to be a lot more tiring than I thought it would be.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks! I wonder what todays rain will do?

        Comment


        • Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm hoping it might rain a bit and consolidate the base. I did make some effort, probably too much, at packing the broken out snow hoping that might happen. I didn't figure I would finish out Cliff; so, decided to do things that would make it easier for me on a 2nd attempt.

      • #5
        Great meeting you yesterday, thanks for packing the trail.

        If you're interested, I need Cliff and would be happy to join you on an expedition there.

        David

        Comment


        • gebby
          gebby commented
          Editing a comment
          I need Cliff as well and hoping to go on 12/21.

        • dpeters6
          dpeters6 commented
          Editing a comment
          I will be done with school on Saturday the 15th, how about then?
          I'd like to also-potentially-attempt Redfield.

        • dpeters6
          dpeters6 commented
          Editing a comment
          The 21st could work for me as well.

      • #6
        Originally posted by dundee View Post
        Thanks! I wonder what todays rain will do?
        It will lock up hard in the next day and night. Will need spikes.

        Comment


        • #7
          Originally posted by 2505 View Post

          It will lock up hard in the next day and night. Will need spikes.
          Totally agree and hoping that's the case. Best scenario right now for trail from Upper Works to Herbert Brook. Beyond not sure....will hope for just crust over possibly heavier snow as temperatures cool to frigid this week.

          And was up there today (12/3) again with rbalbs. We packed down path to Marshall for a friend. Some creativity was needed for the multiple crossings on Herbert Brook. I was in water three times though the day. We had thought maybe tacking on Cliff but decided no because of conditions.

          Sure hoping things will harden up over the next days. Today was decidedly spring conditions. No incipient melting on trail but plenty of water on Herbert Brook, Calamity Brook, and water overtaking Flowed Lands. A slog on the return.

          Don

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by 2505 View Post

            It will lock up hard in the next day and night. Will need spikes.
            Please don't think all you'll need are micro spikes. There was still 3 feet of snow on the top of Marshall yesterday. The trail still has depth of snow and right now is a snowshoe route. The path to Marshall still has deep snow top to bottom.

            Comment

            Working...
            X