Big Slide Update 11-17-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Slide Update 11-17-18

Climbed Big Slide today (11-17). There's 15" of snow up high now - more where there are drifts. Snow below 2nd Brother was heavy.

Read the post from 11-14 The staircase is buried now and didn't trouble us. I do agree these type of ladders are susceptible to icing solid.

Me and another fellow (Nicolas) from Quebec broke out the trail from the Garden. I snow shoed widening a post holed track. Passed the two in front that had spikes and trail crampons. Made it to the 2nd Brother and had started the long part of the climb to the 3rd Brother before my breaking partner arrived. After that he led for about =>80% of the way to the summit. We both went there since we thought it would be one of the easier climbs. It wasn't.

Good track now.

Ran into two guys from Glens Falls with snow shoes. The rest 10 or 12 with spikes - some carrying snowshoes.

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM.

Was the Garden plowed when you got there? Mr. MB tried before 7 a.m. and found it plowed only until the lot. He ended up at the AMR (also unplowed).
    #8335W, Solo Winter 46
    ADK Quest #119
    ADK Fire Tower Challenge
    NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
    Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post
      Was the Garden plowed when you got there? Mr. MB tried before 7 a.m. and found it plowed only until the lot. He ended up at the AMR (also unplowed).
      The Garden was plowed as much as possible. Where there were vehicles through the snow storm it wasn't plowed.
      Dix Round Pond wasn't plowed even by the time I was driving home.....about 245 pm.
      All the pull-off type parking was plowed. I.e. Giant Ridge, Chapel Pond and down the hill.
      I didn't look closely at Giant - Roaring Brook but there were vehicles there.

Don

Comment

Hey Don, thanks for breaking out Big Slide yesterday. I wore snowshoes today and it's wasn't bad. Most others wearing just spikes. After passing some others after the first brother I was the first of the day. Maybe an inch of new fluff, plus a few drifts here and there.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          You are very welcome Bill.

I don't understand the spike thing when there's powder snow. Much better traction with snowshoes.
      Working...
      X