Lake Arnold Swamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Arnold Swamp

Planning on Marcy/Skylight this weekend and trying to decide if we should go over Marcy twice or loop around Lake Arnold. I have no interest in being knee deep in bog water and mud, but my husband is vying for a loop trail. Has anyone been out there recently? How bad is the mud/water? We haven't been out there in years,
    46/46, 9/46W

Just make him sign a paper that says if it is a swamp he has to carry you over it.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• latenitehound
      latenitehound commented
      Editing a comment
      I do like this idea!

Beware of the loose log but I made it across safely both directions, my son got wet because he ran over them. It was easier for me going out from the Loj than coming back so I would recommend the Arnold/SkyLight/Marcy direction. You dont say if you are adding Gray but it is really easy once you get to Lake Tear of the Clouds.

Comment

When we did Gray the first time it was in the winter and we did Marcy, Skylight, Gray and out Lake Arnond in the snow. I pretty much fell asleep at the bar at the LP Brew pub while eating my burger. No interest in all 3 this time. Although Gray was so magical in the snow. Each branch had little icicles that made beautiful music when the wind blew. Then we butt-slid down. I'll keep that memory for now!!
      46/46, 9/46W

Comment

My wife absolutely hated crossing the Feldspar swamp. (Rightfully, it's a pond.) So on our return visit to Skylight, we did Marcy-Skylight-Marcy. She loved it, we both had a great time. That re-climb of Marcy is tough, but worth not having to soak your feet in the fetid water.
        ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 262/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
          My wife absolutely hated crossing the Feldspar swamp. (Rightfully, it's a pond.) So on our return visit to Skylight, we did Marcy-Skylight-Marcy. She loved it, we both had a great time. That re-climb of Marcy is tough, but worth not having to soak your feet in the fetid water.
          That's what I do most of the time. Over and back via Mt Marcy. MGSM.
          Don
          Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 09-11-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

We did the loop clockwise a month or so ago. If you stay on the logs you're in for a wet foot at the very worse. If you go off them, you'll be knee deep. We chose clockwise so that if the latter happened (it did not), we weren't faced with 3 summits having wet feet. I briefly considered a return over Marcy after we did Gray and Skylight, but decided against it.

The more frustrating part was the elevation gain from the Mary Trail to Lake Arnold.... just enough to annoy after along day.

Comment

• latenitehound
              latenitehound commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, going on the roller coaster of Lake Arnold is tiresome after a long hike, especially in the winter when the heels of the snowshoes are up and down constantly!!

Just went thru yesterday.
            i could not find the floating log. Maybe someone secured it

Comment

Working...
            X