Unsupported 46 Traverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cory and Jan,

A fantastic accomplishment! I know you did it for the personal challenge and your own satisfaction, and we all appreciate the opportunity to "live it" with you in the serial reports. Thanks, Cory, for all the time and effort you spent writing it up.

Next year I think you should do it in reverse order, start on Esther and end on Emmons--and compare the times .

Comment

Cory, have you and Jan calculated up the mileage it was for doing the thru hike through the High Peaks? I bet it would be an amazing number!!

All I can say, "is this is truly the most impressive, amazing feat, I have ever read about." Then survive to tell the tale.
      It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Originally posted by Skyclimber View Post
        Cory, have you and Jan calculated up the mileage it was for doing the thru hike through the High Peaks? I bet it would be an amazing number!!
        196 miles and 65,000 feet elevation gain!

Comment

Simply awesome! Cory, you write so well. Thanks for sharing this trip with us. When I ran into you on Seymour and you told me this was in the works, I couldn't wait to read about it. The wait was worth it! This is a trip I would love to do, but I'd need a month - and LOTS more food. Your way makes for a quick tick-off of the grid though!
          Going where the wind don't blow so strange
          Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
          Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

Comment

Just absolutely remarkable!

Cory and Jan, you are legend.

So apparently I've been really busy at work the past couple of weeks, cause I had no idea about this until this evening.

I hope I have the honor of meeting you on the trails someday with my family,
            Marshall

Comment

Amazing thing you guys did. Congrats. I enjoyed this TR, thanks. (Sorry, my english is deteriorating I wish I could express myself better !)

Comment

Cory and Jan,
                Your accomplishments and TR just highlight what we already know about you two.........amazing people doing amazing things. When I ran in to you after the "quitting" day I had a hunch from our short conversation that you had pretty much made up your mind to give it your best shot. Congratulations
                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Jan and Cory,

Congratulations on an incredible achievement. I can’t think of a better tribute than this epic adventure to honor your friend, Ed. You guys are amazing athletes (and pretty snazzy dressers with those giraffe sleeves).

Cory,

As many others have said, your narrative is the best one I’ve ever read including those published in magazines. Part of why this report struck a cord with me is my familiarity with the peaks and I can grasp the enormity of this undertaking in total as well as the daily challenges you faced (e.g. Sewards & Santas on one day, the Ausable & Dix ranges on another). But I think what made this account so powerful was the human-side of your journey - the way you spoke of Ed and your grandfather and how you described the teamwork and battling through the pain and, of course, all the humor - added immensely to the report.

It was extremely well-written and inspirational. You are a great storyteller

Hope we cross paths again on the trail soon.

-Jim
                  The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir.
                  #6385W, HOL47er, Ultra6er, CL50 #524

Comment

People are talking!

I was out on the Dix range yesterday and ran into several people who were describing this feat. You guys are famous!
                    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
                    Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
                    Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

Comment

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum and first saw this TR on vftt where I am not a member and don't have posting privileges. After finding this site with the cross post I quickly joined.

I really enjoyed reading this report and am impressed by the accomplishment.

One thing that me and my hiking buddy are curious about is the gear choices you used. Would it be possible for you to create and post a gear list, and food/snack list.

Congrats again on the accomplishment.

-Dan

37 of 46
                      -Dan
                      ADK 46 : 46 of 46
                      ADK W46 : 9 of 46

Comment

Dubhawk, check out post #62 on this thread. And welcome to the forum!

Dick
                        "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Thanks Dick

Long thread thought i read most of the replies but missed that.

29 lbs minus water. I think for my 3-5 day hikes i carry around the same weight but my stuff might be more bulkier because my 5500 cu inch Golite Framed pack is mostly filled. I was looking into getting the Osprey Exos for shorter trips maybe i will give this pack a try.

Corey or Jan

Can you explain the purpose of the thermarest Z cut square? Is this just for rest stops or to compliment your 3/4th length prolite or both?
                          -Dan
                          ADK 46 : 46 of 46
                          ADK W46 : 9 of 46

Comment

Originally posted by Dubhawk View Post
                            Can you explain the purpose of the thermarest Z cut square? Is this just for rest stops or to compliment your 3/4th length prolite or both?
                            Both, really just for sitting around on. We'd sit on it in camp or change our clothes then toss it under our feet in the tent. We never just tooled around camp. It was about getting set up for what we would need and then getting comfortable as soon as possible. Keep in mind we were virtually always in the dark while in camp too.
                            Be quick - but don't hurry. -John Wooden

Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the one that'll get you home earlier. ~Dan Bennett

Comment

And Another Congrats to Cory!!

Nice way to get ready for the 100W!! I hear it was a bit wintery for the HH finale too!
                              inclined to climb...

Comment

Holy crap!

Monica and I were just up there for Columbus Day Weekend and spent four days in the Lake Colden/Uphill Lean-to sites with plans of doing my final 8 of the 46, but the weather and conditions forced us to cut our plans short by 4 peaks. The whole while were cursing you Jan - how the hell did you do what you did in 3 1/2 days (I know, you corrected me to say 3 3/4 days, whatever ). Then we stopped by the Keene Valley Hostel to shower and Robin was telling us of your latest exploits, which made us feel even worse about our 4-out-of-8 peaks weekend. It was cool that Rory got to hike a bit with you guys too. Cory, I didn't realize that you were one of the crazy hikers too.

CONGRATULATIONS on a great achievement.
                                Reaching the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory. (Ed Viesturs)

Three-Season 4K: NH 4K Grid #69, ADK 46 x 2, NH 48 x 13, New England 67 X 3, & Northeast 115
                                Winter 4K: ADK 43/46, NH 48 x 3, New England 67, & Northeast 110/115
                                Others: CO 14ers 24/58, NEHH 96/100, Catskills 7/35
                                Trail Adopter: Caps Ridge Trail from Trailhead to Summit of Jefferson
                                Organizer: Random Group of Hikers (www.meetup.com/rndmhkrs)

Comment

Working...
                                X