No announcement yet.

Unsupported 46 Traverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I'm loving the story. Well written. I can feel the intensity of the hike and this makes me want to start doing these kinds of things (what do you call this? mega-hiking?). Maybe when I can move somewhere better than PA I can start thinking about it.

RE: Wedge Brook Trail down from the Wolf Jaws col - I went down that 3 weeks ago and experienced the same knee shattering pain. It really has a lot of descent in a short distance, especially when you come from LWJ and it is hard packed with a lot of rocks. I had been feeling fine before that descent, but even with just a day pack I was hobbling out Lake Road. Last weekend I actually carried my full pack over LWJ and descended the back way to St. Huberts just to avoid that trail.

I was wondering how you'd tackle the Range. I was wondering about something like only go to Gothics then Saw-Blake-etc, then after Giant-RPR catch Wolf Jaws/Armstrong on the way to Big Slide. Without looking at a map I can't tell if that is a dumb idea or not...
    Hike Always.
    http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Comment

I love doing 20 plus mile days so I know the feeling of pushing yourself hard and being exhausted. What I don't know is how you are doing 7 of these in a row. You guys are sick.
      "Going fast doesn't diminish the experience for some. It often seems it is only those that choose to go slow that think that it does."

-Rik

Comment

echoing the congrats and the other comments here. Awesome stuff, especially given your physical issues after Day 2.
        "Feats don't fail me now"

Comment

Wow! Awesome! Great TR!
          An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Originally posted by redshorts47
            Cory and Jan! You had said you had come up with a gear list for all the stuff you brought on this extensive traverse. I was wondering exactly what gear you had brought for this Mega Hike? Also, now looking back at this trip, what gear would you have included? And what gear would you have left at home?
            I think Jan sent me a updated list somewhere I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. Jan was the gear master for the trip, I can't think of anything we would of left at home because we used everything in our packs besides two rolls of athletic tape that we had brought in case of problems. Jan has gone to Texas for a few days and I'm not sure if he'll be able to answer himself until he gets back.

Number one thing to bring extra was a Buffalo chicken pizza. Really more food in general but I don't think I needed anymore gear. I like to keep it simple.
            Be quick - but don't hurry. -John Wooden

Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the one that'll get you home earlier. ~Dan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Cory D View Post
              I think Jan sent me a updated list somewhere I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. Jan was the gear master for the trip, I can't think of anything we would of left at home because we used everything in our packs besides two rolls of athletic tape that we had brought in case of problems. Jan has gone to Texas for a few days and I'm not sure if he'll be able to answer himself until he gets back.

Number one thing to bring extra was a Buffalo chicken pizza. Really more food in general but I don't think I needed anymore gear. I like to keep it simple.
              Wow, what is your imaginary girl friend going to do to you now?
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

The best chapter yet 'Nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by Cory D View Post
                  Really more food in general but I don't think I needed anymore gear. I like to keep it simple.
                  Agreed: we certainly could have gotten away with a bit less but I wouldn't have wanted to. I wish we had more food, but we couldn't have fit any more in the bear canisters anyway.

Comment

Here's a gear list (weights are in ounces). Approximate starting weight 29 lbs without water. Cory, If you want to post this earlier in the thread in one of the posts you reserved for making fun of someone or whatever then go for it, I'll delete this post later. Off to Texas for a wedding early tomorrow, have a great weekend everyone!

Jan's Personal Gear (14lbs 4oz, Cory's was nearly identical)

Clothing (worn on body)
                    Montrail Hardrock shoes w/ Enduro soles
                    OR Flex-Tex gaiters
                    Darn Tough socks
                    Patagonia Capilene 2 T-shirt
                    Black Diamond BDV shorts
                    Patagonia synthetic baseball cap
                    EMS synthetic underwear
                    Black Diamond Alpine Carbon trekking poles

Packing
                    Osprey Exos 58 pack 40.0
                    Black Diamond Flash pack 8.0
                    Backpacker's Cache bear canister 44.0
                    AlokSak OPSak 12x20" bag 1.4
                    Platypus 2L bladder 3.0

Sleeping Gear
                    Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree bag 24.0
                    w/ waterproof stuff sack
                    Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus 3/4 mattress 17.2
                    Therm-a-Rest Z-Rest cut square 4.3
                    Therm-a-Rest Pillow Small 7.6

Extra Clothing
                    Darn Tough socks 2.4
                    Marmot Mica rain jacket 6.8
                    Mammut microfleece pants 9.2
                    OR long sleeve shirt 6.7
                    EMS synthetic underwear 2.8
                    Marmot DriClime Windshirt 12.5
                    Moeben Sleeves (polyester) 2.4
                    Smartwool liner gloves 1.5
                    OR lightweight winter hat 0.8
                    Crocs 11.0

Other Gear
                    Petzl Myo XP 3.8
                    6 AA lithium batteries 3.0
                    Body Glide 1.6
                    Toothbrush & toothpaste 1.5
                    MSR Packtowl Ultralite (cut in half) 1.8
                    Toilet paper roll 5.0
                    Nathan 22oz sport bottle 2.6
                    2 Platypus 1L bottles 2.4

----- Group Gear (approx. 468 oz shared evenly; 14lbs 10oz each) -----

Food (about 360 oz total)

6 Hawk Vittles Dinners (907 Cal avg)
                    6 Hawk Vittles Breakfasts (749 Cal avg)
                    2 AlokSak OPSak 9x12" bags for rehydrating

We each had 7 days worth of snacks (about 2250 Cal/day):
                    2 Gu packets (200 Cal)
                    1 Clif Bloks packet (200 Cal)
                    Trail mix (1000 Cal)
                    Peanut butter packets (Jan: 500 Cal / Cory: 250 Cal)
                    Toblerone dark chocolate (Jan: 240 Cal / Cory: 120 Cal)
                    Dried bananas (100 Cal)
                    Chocolate covered raisins (Cory only, 400 Cal)
                    Chewing gum (no caloric value, but good to have)

Shelter (70.9)
                    Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3 tent 66.2
                    4 tent stakes 1.7
                    1mm poly ground cloth cut to shape 3.0

Stove (19.0)
                    MSR Pocket Rocket 3.1
                    MSR Fuel Canister 4oz 8.0
                    Vargo 0.9L Titanium Pot w/ foil lid 2.8
                    2 Lighters 1.6
                    Mountaineer bandand (for pot grip) 1.3
                    MSR Pack Towel (small square) 0.8
                    3 Sporks 1.1
                    Mesh stuff sack 0.3

Other Gear
                    Olympus SW790 camera 5.4
                    Map & Compass 2.4
                    Katadyn MicroPur (30 tabs) 1.4
                    Athletic Tape (2 rolls) 6.6
                    Ibuprofen x 100 1.5[/QUOTE]

Comment

Cory, don't go getting all emotional on us now. Seriously though, I feel like I'm no longer just reading about your trip, you've pulled me into your trip.
                      Scooting here and there
                      Through the woods and up the peaks
                      Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

maybe Neil can figure out a way to charge admission to view the next post.

I'm like a crack addict here! I can't get enough!

Comment

Congratulations Cory and Jan. As someone who has attempted this feat twice, but failed, I know first-hand how difficult a task it truly is.
                          --- Resident terrorist-supporting eco-freak bootlicker

Comment

This is amazing!! Congrats to both of you - very much looking forward to stopping in here each night and reading the next "chapter!"

"Try to understand the true nature of things. Remember that time of death is uncertain. Think about the deeds you do. Make efforts to benefit others."

-Nagarjuna

Comment

I am absolutely in awe that this feat has been accomplished!

Yes, I'm another of those fools who has tried it twice and failed, in May 2008 and 2009, both attempts ending in deep snowy bushwhacks and a few more inches of the white stuff falling on my summer vacation. I'm glad mother Nature had more reasonable days in order for your successful adventure!
                              ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

Corey, I'm not one to read long trip reports but this is one exception. I have been thoroughly enjoying with enthusiasm your day by day account of this trip. I wait in anticipation for the next insert of the story.
                                It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Working...
                                X