No announcement yet.

Unsupported 46 Traverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Cory and Jan! You guys rock!

I stopped in the Mountaineer Saturday afternoon and congratulated Jan in person. He said it was a lot of fun.

I love reading about these sorts of adventures. For me it boils down to pushing and challenging yourself to your limit and then beyond. Donít waste a single day not being your best.

Thanks for taking the time to post the report and photos, Iím enjoying reading it unfold.

Comment

Wowsa! What a hike you two!

I am so impressed! Way to go, guys!

Happy Hiking!

Fran
      If you can see it, then you start to feel it;
      And the next thing you know, you believe,
      and that's when dreams begin to come true.
      --Tuck and Patti

Comment

I am waiting to say congrats, how do I know you guys made it until I read the ending to this story!! but I am loving it so far!!
        Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Enjoying the story. I don't read a lot of trip reports but will definitely follow this one.

40 pound packs are brutal. Makes things even more impressive - even if you didn't carry it up all the peaks, all the flat miles with that kind of weight puts a serious beating on the feet and knees.
          Hike Always.
          http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dunbar View Post
            40 pound packs are brutal.
            I just finished the gear list and it came out to 29 pounds. That's good--I predicted we could get away with 30 pounds before the trip, but when we did the math in our heads at the beginning of the trip it came out to high 30s. We must have added wrong somewhere. I'm sure I forgot a few things on the gear list, but our packs weren't any heavier than 30 pounds.

Comment

So did this trip make you an "ex virgin" camper, or just an ex virgin camper? Just want to make sure I'm making the right assumptions here.

To me, the 46 unsupported (or self-supported, for those that may be slightly less masochistic) is the "coolest" peakbagging on the east coast. Adding backpacking to moving fast through the mountains cranks it up a notch or too, and compared to the NH version, the Dacks just involve so much less road and civilization. Much cooler, IMO.

What an awesome trip...and even with the early difficulties...to hammer through as fast you guys did...clearly not a lot of folks out there capable of doing something like this. Crazy awesome.

The Ferret
              x-camping virgin cyclist clown

Comment

Great reports Cory....Fasinating to read!

Comment

Originally posted by Cory D View Post
                  Day 4 (The Loj Loop)
                  So, let's see if I have this right. Day 2 was supposed to be Allen, Cliff, and Redfield, but you just did Allen because of the knee problems.

Day 3 was supposed to be the Loj loop, including Marshall.

So the knee problems cost you one day.

I bet you're glad you included Marshall on your quit day.
                  Last edited by randomscooter; 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM.
                  Scooting here and there
                  Through the woods and up the peaks
                  Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."ô

Comment

Originally posted by randomscooter View Post
                    So, let's see if I have this right. Day 2 was supposed to be Allen, Cliff, and Redfield, but you just did Allen because of the knee problems.

Day 3 was supposed to be the Loj loop, including Marshall.

So the knee problems cost you one day.

I bet you're glad you included Marshall on your quit day.
                    Yup, when we stopped at the campsite below Hanging spears falls it was just going to be for a stop to talk things out. It became came 2 like said in the TR. On the way there if I recall correctly Jan was going to go with me to Uphill and help set up camp and I was going to most likely do Cliff and Redfield that night; coming down in the dark. I think it was just before or around 5 when we stopped at below Hanging spears falls so it wasn't too late yet.

Doing Marshall was good but I'd say it was best for what it did mentally. You know how Herbert brook is. The conditions were near perfect and it was one of those "why I love the ADK" slide show type hikes up. I thought the trip down the Iro trail to Lake Colden was really tough on the body. I think now we could of made it down to the pass in the light still. I have gone up that bushwhack many times in an average of 38 minutes so we probably could of raced the daylight down. It then becomes a but because we would of then had to do the herd path from the col to the top of Marshall in the dark and come down Herbert brook in the dark. Maybe a different way would of been to not do Marshall that night and just climb C + R then get to bed even earlier and get up even earlier and do the whole "dark" part of the loj day in the morning.

We would still lose a day and we would of missed out on two of the best parts of the trip in the Marshall climb and the Colden moonlight/sunrise climb. This whole trip was as much of a mental challenge if not more than a physical one and those "moments" helped carry us through so I wouldn't have changed them.

If I or we had gone and done C + R that night we would of had to get almost no sleep and done a monster day the following day. I think that would of caused a failure in something later on and induced a "rest" type day later if not further worse injury. We both needed rest then. The call was of the feel of the situation and it worked out just like we hoped.
                    Be quick - but don't hurry. -John Wooden

Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the one that'll get you home earlier. ~Dan Bennett

Comment

This is like reading a really good book that you just can't put down except you can't turn the page till the next day! Awesome report soo far.

Comment

Originally posted by ferrisjrf View Post
                        So did this trip make you an "ex virgin" camper, or just an ex virgin camper? Just want to make sure I'm making the right assumptions here.
                        Wait..both? Yeah, everyone one who knows me is getting a kick out of this being my first camping trip in the ADK. I've done "X" hundred of peaks but before this my idea of an overnight was when you turned your headlamp on and then turned it off in the morning.

To me, the 46 unsupported (or self-supported, for those that may be slightly less masochistic) is the "coolest" peakbagging on the east coast. Adding backpacking to moving fast through the mountains cranks it up a notch or too, and compared to the NH version, the Dacks just involve so much less road and civilization. Much cooler, IMO.
                        Yeah, absolutely. Besides the short mile road between the Santa trail head and Allen we didn't touch pavement until the start of day 7. It was kind of a culture shock at that point.

We knew how to handle this trip as a "fast as you can" style and we knew how to approach it as a long back-packing trip. The idea was to somehow mesh those two together into a hybrid fast-packing form. That has been done a bunch nowadays (globally).. but not unsupported. That completely changed the dynamic. Burning the kind of calories we were and taking so little in comparison had a huge affect on our mental and physical approach as well as our state of mind.

If your talking about doing this trip self-supported which really is just leaving your own caches and walking or jogging roads I don't know why it couldn't be done it something like 4.5-5 days. That of course would depend on how "self-supported" you wanted to take it like leaving caches everywhere and carrying almost nothing.

Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the one that'll get you home earlier. ~Dan Bennett

Comment

Awesome, awesome job Cory and Jan. What a great tribute to your friend, Ed.

All this talk about Day 2 and 3, but I'm still blown away by Day 1 - the Sewards and the Santas

You guys rock
                          The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir.
                          #6385W, HOL47er, Ultra6er, CL50 #524

Comment

Just want to thank everyone for the public and private comments. I started going crazy with the thank button and it almost added a whole page to the thread! So I'll do it this way. I don't write many TRs so it feels good to share in appreciation of all the great ones I've read here in the last few years.

Comment

I didn't have time to read the entire TR yet, but it sounds like an awsome hike. Great job and you were lucky to have good weather through most of your trip.
                              The reward for climbing is not applause but new sight.-
                              unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Cory D
                                Day 5 is up.
                                Nice...11 peaks. Damn! Great report and pics, Cory! Looking forward to tomorrow's segment!
                                Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Working...
                                X