Hoffman Mt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoffman Mt.

peakbagr and I decided on Hoffman Mt. Saturday.
    started a little after 8 from hoffman mt. road.. took trail to bottom of ridge, and started the bushwack from there. very little snow down below.
    maybe an inch at 3000 ft. above that snow mainly on spruce which i left for peakbagr to clean off. little more blowdown than last year along the ridge,
    and a little longer hike with a little bit of snow and blowdown to work around.
    took 5 and a half hrs. to get up. just as lon down, but most of that was in the dark, got out at 7:50. very nice hike, even more views now that the leaves are down. #89 for peakbagr!!
    11 more to go before New Years!!
    bushwacker
    www.adkbushwacks.com

Awesome job Alan, wish I could have joined you. I'm fully trapped in my hell portion of the year. but we have 2 trips up (at least) in the next month. We'll have to get together and see what matches up.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Wow! Hoffman put quite the impression on you. It sure heck didn't do nothing for me, except scratch me up. You went an entirely different way than us, when we went. It was quite thick, with spruce. Then we went on to Blue Ridge which proved to be quite the challenge as well. Think the whole trip took over 13 hours. It took us three times before we actually made these summits! There used to be a red can up there with Hoffman written on it, did you find it?
      It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

It's tough to get them both in the same day. We were just so darn determined too, when we did them. Didn't care how long it took.
        Glad that you got another one for your list.
        It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Originally posted by Peakbagr
          Hi Rob,

Sorry you couldn't join us as well. Largely because of the hunting season, and also unknown terrain, left Bookah at home. She hasn't done a trip of this length and difficulty yet and will need to be built up gradually. The distance would have been OK, but jumping over and crawling the blowdown might have been tough. Besides, keeping the headlamp on a Lab might have been interesting.

Alan
          When we whacked down after celebrating Neil's 46th and got caught in the dark it was pretty cool seeing Dali's eyes every once in a while in someones headlamp. She seemed to do fine without light. She didn't even stay on the trail when we got to it but did her usual sniffing around in the woods while we tried to keep up.
          This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Peakbagr
            Besides, keeping the headlamp on a Lab might have been interesting.
            Alan
            Congrats on the trip. Sounds like you guys definitely had a good time.

Saturday on Big Slide at dusk we put one of those flashing rear bike lights (put it on non flashing mode) on our Golden Retriever and it worked great.

-Shayne

Comment

Working...
            X