Round Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim, Qué, no hablas Frances?

Yvon, Tim J'ai eu le mème Tim manteau qu'Annie Tim pis je l'ai Tim donné à mon fils. Il est excellent Tim mais j'en voulais Tim un plus léger.
    Ha ha Tim ha ha

Comment

Damn bilingual people..............

Tim, he just called you homely and said that Katie dresses you funny.
      Imagine the nerve.
      Tim, can you ban a Viceroy???????
      Walk Softly

Comment

Round doesn't make the HHest? I've often thought it would be a cool trek to head north from the summit to the edge of the Chapel Pond cliffs. I would imagine it would there would be some serious abrasions from the thick stuff though. It does have it's own special perspective of Giant, RPR, and Dix.
        https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by masshysteria
          ....from the summit to the edge of the Chapel Pond cliffs.
          Pretty brave for an old guy, aren'tcha?
          Funny cuz I was just looking at that yesterday. There's some open rock before where it gets really nasty where one could have a gander below to see how far one wanted to push it.

You know the drill, where there's a will, someone will play!

Not on HH ???? It's like 3100' or something........
          Walk Softly

Comment

Neil,

Riant Tim aux éclat!
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Tim,

Neil und Peter sind mit ihren französischen Witzen hinter Ihrer Rückseite so lustig.

Ha ha Neil und Peter ha ha

Hint: the answer can be found in your Dashboard.
              --
              ADKatie
              46er #5460

Comment

Auf Deutsch meine Liebe, sehr intelligent und tricky.

Sorry, No dashboard here at work, but no troubles anyhow, I just reached waaaaay back into the foggy memory banks to many nights covorting with the locals in many a beerhaus during the 2 years I spent in Deutschland.

Let the boys have thier giggles for now, when I tire of them I'll simply send another lightning bolt from "on high" forbadeing them from "speaking in tongues" on these glorious pages.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah? Round Mt.

Seems to me when I was on Noonmark last summer ang gazing over at Round, I got the impression that the view to the much of the Highpeaks would be pretty much blocked by Noonmark. Is that NOT the case? Pictures seem to show that its not.
                "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00
                  I got the impression that the view to the much of the Highpeaks would be pretty much blocked by Noonmark.
                  That's true Tim, but not totaly. You can see a good part of it to the right and the left of Noonmark.
                  See those pics (Sorry Tim, no french caption this time, ha! ha! ha!)

http://lesiteayvon.com/round10.html
                  http://lesiteayvon.com/round11.html
                  http://lesiteayvon.com/round9.html
                  Yvon,
                  Montreal, Quebec, Canada

--------------------------------
                  Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
                  Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Nah, Tim that's not the case at all. Pointy little Noonie doesn't get in the way much at all.

Tim, looks like you've got yourself quite the little frauline in the house!
                    Walk Softly

Comment

I got so carried away with my foreign language fun that I forgot to praise AlpineSummit for a great trip report! Yvon's pictures were beautiful, as were Neil's, and I've added Round to my "must do" list! Thanks! Merci! Danke!
                      --
                      ADKatie
                      46er #5460

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineSummit
                        Pretty brave for an old guy, aren'tcha?

...or just a little spent..... Besides, these young bucks can't have all the fun. I want more on my epitaph than ; " First man to reach the Amp and survive" I think that stroll is going on the list.

Here's a question for any rock climbers. Do the folks who climb the CP cliffs descend through the cliffs, or do they fight to the top? If so, there might be some sort of path!?
                        Last edited by masshysteria; 11-19-2005, 05:54 PM.

Comment

rock climbers bushwhack? Not if they can help it!

Originally posted by masshysteria
                          ...or just a little spent..... Besides, these young bucks can't have all the fun. I want more on my epitaph than ; " First man to reach the Amp and survive" I think that stroll is going on the list.

Here's a question for any rock climbers. Do the folks who climb the CP cliffs descend through the cliffs, or do they fight to the top? If so, there might be some sort of path!?
                          There are descent routes through/between the cliffs. I've only climbed on the CP slab (the most prominent slab), and used the descent route south of it, between it and the Emperor Slab. It's a walk-down, other than one little 15' cliff over a cave that we rappelled, although I understand there is a way around that as well. As for paths up from the cliff tops, I am not aware of any.

Addressing the wisecrack in my title line, I include here a few lines from my Gothics North Face trip report, 04Aug01, a nice day on the rock with friend Rich Quinn:

"The finger ended abruptly after pitch 7, and about 200-300' (ground distance) of summit cripplebrush separated us from the trail. Back in my element, I forged through the scrub, whistling happily, while Rich now took the rear and began whining. This of course delighted me to no end, and I did my utmost to stay in the thickest tangles I could find, steering clear of easier going to the sides. Too soon, the fun ended and we emerged on the summit ridge to be greeted by the curious stares of our first fellow bipeds of the day. A 100 yard walk along the ridge put us on the summit proper, where we celebrated a successful, and unorthodox, ascent of the mighty Gothics."

In Rich's defense, although he may not like to get scratched by the scrub, he gets full credit, and my admiration, for taking the sharp end of the rope over about 1200' of technical rock that day.
                          Scooting here and there
                          Through the woods and up the peaks
                          Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

RS, thanks for the advice. I looked in some pics I have of Round from Giant, and there is quite a haul from the top of the cliffs to the summit. Not really steep, just thick and gnarly.

A rock climber that doesn't like the thick stuff? It would seem to me that if you are going to 'rock', you have to 'whack'. No?

Comment

Working...
                            X