Round Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Mountain

Yes, we climbed little Roundie on Sunday - Big deal, right?
    Yea, I agree and that's why this isn't a real trip report.

Instead, this is a nomination that Round Mt be officially recognized as just a super climb and an interesting summit with TERRIFIC 360 views. And it's also not on anyone's radar, which is very sweet also, as it's often very quiet up there.

If you have not yet climbed it, you will get a nice surprise when you do.

Oh yea, it's not big, but it's no gimme either. Like all ADK peaks, you will work to get up there, just not as long as the big boys.
    Walk Softly

It's one of the mountains I've kept meaning to do someday!

Of COURSE it's a real trip report!

Interesting summit, 360 views, quiet, nice surprise...sounds like it IS a big deal! No reason why every hike has to be a 20-mile slog through thick spruce in order to be "worthy!"

Dick
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Very true. In fact, little Round has a summit that rivals & surpasses maybe 1/3 of the High Peaks. Not just panoramic views, but Giant & Rocky close to the east, a different look at the lower Great Range the other way, and an exquisite family portrait of the Dixes. Plenty of other stuff too. It's very sweet up there.
      The summit is especially cool cuz not only is it very big & expansive, but it also has little hollows where there are 15' trees where you could escape the wind to eat your sandwich,,,,,,,and still be on the summit.
      Cool mountain........
      Climb it.
      Last edited by AlpineSummit; 11-17-2005, 09:23 PM.
      Walk Softly

Comment

A beautiful little loop, is starting at the public parking in StHuberts, going up Noonmark, heading down the other side, then taking the trail up Round, then down Round the other way.

Did you pass those HUGE cedarrs, Alpine? A beautiful forest around there. It reminds me of something from a fairy tale.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineSummit
          Very true. In fact, little Round has a summit that rivals & surpasses maybe 1/3 of the High Peaks. Not just panoramic views, but Giant & Rocky close to the east, a different look at the lower Great Range the other way, and an exquisite family portrait of the Dixes. Plenty of other stuff too. It's very sweet up there.
          The summit is especially cool cuz not only is it very big 7 expansive, but it also has little hollows where there are 15' trees where you could escape the wind to eat your sandwich,,,,,,,and still be on the summit.
          Cool mountain........
          Climb it.
          blah blah,,,,,jeeze but I ramble on. and on and on......

Anyway: I forgot to mention the beauty forest of OLD hemlocks & cedars you pass thru......really purty walkingg there.

DId I mention that I like this mt?
          Walk Softly

Comment

I can't beleive what that I ou were answering my question as I was writing it. Must have been some kind of ESP.
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Great minds mon, great minds think of great things..........

That high shelf 5 mins from the parking area would make a nice camping spot. Really pretty and close to the car.
              Walk Softly

Comment

Round's kinda tough from the Ausable club, well it was for me when I did it because it was like 90°, It seemed much easier from the Dix trail.

But there's a 3rd way, Bushwhack up from Round Pond.

About half way on the North Shore just hang a right into the woods and head up. Go Left at the 1st cliffs you run into.

There are actually some nice (though dangerous if you are prone to sleepwalking) camping spots on top of some the cliffs.

There are many fine views before you get to the summit, the most interesting thing is watching Dix Mountain incrementally change over from it's eastern cirque to it's northern face as you go.
                Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Anything & Everything on the Adirondacks

Comment

Round Mtn. is a great climb and is often overlooked in favour of Noomark.

Comment

I've just checked all my list's, and Round Mt. isn't on any of them. Sorry, It'll have to wait.........................

Actually, I've heard good things before too, We'll put it on the list for one of thise days that we only got time for a shorter climb. I love open summit's
                    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

I took my family up there years ago on a whim. My middle daughter loved it so much that I, well, took advantage of the moment and mentioned that some people climb all the 46 highest mountains and get a really cool patch. She took the bait . She and I finished together with a bang, doing the Range from Haystack down to LWJ...like father like daughter.
                      Scooting here and there
                      Through the woods and up the peaks
                      Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineSummit
                        Instead, this is a nomination that Round Mt be officially recognized as just a super climb and an interesting summit with TERRIFIC 360 views.
                        Hear hear! My 5yo and I climbed it this summer in lieu of Cascade, and I thought Round was much more interesting both in terms of the trail and the view. My son was wondering if there were any Hunters in Hunters Pass, and if so, what were they hunting.

Comment

I haven’t been up Round yet, but plan to. There are a lot of little ledges in knobs in that area that I want to explore. Most of the ones I’ve been up so far have offered tremendous views.

Comment

Here is some pics from Round

http://lesiteayvon.com/montroundphotos.html
                            Yvon,
                            Montreal, Quebec, Canada

--------------------------------
                            Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
                            Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Yvon,

Those pictures are awesome. But I hate to tell you this, your spelling is horrible, I couldn't read a single one of your captions.

Don't you canadians have spell check up there.
                              "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Working...
                              X