Whiteface Highway/Baxter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteface Highway/Baxter

Headed up Thursday night with the girl. Snowing as we got off the thruway. Woke up to SNOW!!!!

Originally, i had intended on biking up to snowline on the Whiteface Memorial Highway...estimated at 2miles up.

When i got up to the toll( as far as you can drive in winter), the road was "mostly" covered....with snow! So basically, i took my bike for a drive...i couldnt be more happy!!!!!! about 1.5" at the bottom, more the higher i went. Got up about 2.5 of the 5miles when my pole collapsed and i couldnt, for the life of me, get it back extended. So i was stuck with a pole that hardly reached 3" above my knee! ****!!!! At about this point anyway, it was warming abit and the snow was getting wet. So i called it then and made some sweet TURNS all the way back to my car. Encountered some nice wind drifts on the way down too. There was barely enough snow, but a nice layer of ice on the blacktop under the snow saved my skis. All in all WAYYYY beyond what i had expected. 1st turns are sweet when they are earned...even if it was marginal.Ran into Tony Goodwin on the way down and chatted with him for a while.

Next day took the girlfriend for a nice hike up Baxter. We did it from 9N not Beede road cause she was still a lil' hazy from a migraine the day before. This was a really sweet litttle mountain. Beautiful up top, although actually really hazy....no pix turned out good enough to post due to haze and sun.
    The Heart of Oak

WF Pix

Turns in there somewhere...

The Heart of Oak

Comment

Did you do any of those sudden asphalt-assisted stops?
      Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
        Did you do any of those sudden asphalt-assisted stops?
        Actually no....but i was ready! That thin layer of ice on the road, under the snow helped ALOT!
        The Heart of Oak

Comment

Working...
        X