Lyon Mtn. 11-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyon Mtn. 11-12

Anyone looking for something both easy and completely different should give Lyon Mountain (elevation = 3830, 59th highest peak in NYS) a try. Prino, Sylvie, Annick and I left Montrealís West Island at 8:45 and headed south to the Trailhead which is nice and close to home for us Canucks. While the trail itself isnít the nicest we lucked out with all the beautiful snow. Thanks to a wide trail the snow stayed politely on the trees where it belongs. Most of the roughly 2000 feet of vertical gain is achieved during the second half of the hike. We were in the mountainís shadow most of the way up and then broke into the brilliant sunshine right at the end. There was a fair bit of ice on the trail so Prino wore his insteps and I put on my 10 pointers which were nice but not necessary. Sylvie and Annick (and about 8 other hikers) made it up with boots alone.

The views from the summit are sweeping although the haze hid the High Peaks and Montreal from view. Prino and I explored the herd trail leading towards Averill and were surprised that it was cut fairly wide open. After 200 yards it opened up to a very wide road that led up to a big clearing where everything had been removed and the ground scoured clean of brush, stumps roots etc. as if a building or a tower was to be erected on the site. After the clearing there was no more trail leading towards Averill and the scrubby forest looked very thick indeed.

In spite of the ice the trip down was uneventful.

What was nice about this hike is it was easy to take lots of pictures ! Lots of time, dry hands, dry camera.

I saw the same haze from the opposite direction (I was on Snowy yesterday). Up close everything was clear but on the horizon (especially to the north) was a thick haze. You can see it in your shots from the summit. Glad everything went well for you. How did the instep crampons work for your friend? I struggled with the ice on Snowy....
    Pat Connors

Comment

They worked fairly well actually for 10 dollar crampons. The trail wasn't very steep. He said they were easier to use on the way down until one fell off and he lost it.

Comment

Nice Hike

Originally posted by Neil
        They worked fairly well actually for 10 dollar crampons. The trail wasn't very steep. He said they were easier to use on the way down until one fell off and he lost it.
        Actually they were only 5 bucks but who's counting? I'm going to look out for those pull on rubber toe "crampons" I gave away last year.....they were the $10 ones and well worth the money. Still no substitute for real 10/12 pointers in steep ice though.

Great Hike Neil! Look forward to the next one.

-Phil
        Map and compass man!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
          Anyone looking for something both easy and completely different should give Lyon Mountain (elevation = 3830, 59th highest peak in NYS) a try.
          I'll nitpick. It's actually 59th highest on the ADK list. There are several Catskill peaks higher. Actually if ranked by height I'm not sure it is 59th in the Adirondacks. :shock:
          This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
            I'll nitpick. It's actually 59th highest on the ADK list. There are several Catskill peaks higher. Actually if ranked by height I'm not sure it is 59th in the Adirondacks. :shock:
            Whoops. Never trust the internet!

Comment

Some more Pics Lyon Mt.
              Last edited by Prino; 11-15-2005, 11:27 AM.
              Map and compass man!

Comment

I've hiked Lyon Mt. when the views have been non-existent but I've also had the pleasure of hiking it on a beautifully clear day. On the clear days, the 360 degrees of views are incredible.

I recommend climbing the fire tower. The views only get better! Of course, weather and conditions permitting...OOps, didn't check out Neils pictures prior to my post...I see that you guys did climb the fire tower...
                Last edited by Shewolf; 11-14-2005, 04:19 PM.
                Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned by a dog...

Comment

Originally posted by Prino
                  Some more Pics Lyon Mt.
                  There is a mistake in your link Prino, i can't see your pics.

And by the way Neil, it is a nice place. I have to go there one day.
                  Yvon,
                  Montreal, Quebec, Canada

--------------------------------
                  Les randonnťes de Annie et Yvon (Website)
                  Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Originally posted by yvon
                    There is a mistake in your link Prino, i can't see your pics.

And by the way Neil, it is a nice place. I have to go there one day.
                    Thanks Yvon.... the link is fixed now, although the pictures are sometimes slow to load when webshots is busy.
                    Last edited by Prino; 11-15-2005, 11:30 AM.
                    Map and compass man!

Comment

Okay, the road and the clearing...

This is the story on both. The road was built as a "logging road" in order to log the clearing. The clearing appeared many a year ago (not that many, really) as the future site of some type of comms tower. You'll notice that there was no comms tower in that clearing... The project didn't (or hasn't) happen(ed). The forest probably will reclaim both. As far as the trail over to the clearing, we're not sure who cut that or why. Lyon is a mysterious mountain, where unexplained things happen all the time.
                      "Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' "
                      -Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                      X