Tabletop ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabletop ?!?!

After our last week aborted attempt to Colvin and Blake, i decided this week to hike Tabletop. We found the beginning of the path very easily but we never found the path. After half hour of research we decide to go to Indian falls have our lunch and go back to the car. Not very lucky on my two last trips.
    The 46 is not going fast that way.
    Yvon,
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada

--------------------------------
    Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
    Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Too bad about your Tabletop attempt. Hope it was a good day in spite of that. My first attempt at Tabletop yielded the same results. When I went back I couldn't believe how easy it was without snow.
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Yvon, I've never seen the new route. When I did it, you went directly from Indian Falls through the camping site and then hoped you picked the right herdpath. It reminded me of the way Street and Nye used to be. Besides, any day in the woods is a good day!
      https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

I thought I saw a sign there yesterday. And that's new. We had lunch at Indian Falls and the brook was so high we could barely cross - we had to go downstream.
        Walk Softly

Comment

I saw the sign me to yerterday, but after that i can find the path with the snow and several trees down.
          And we have lunch to at Indian Falls yesterday.
          Yvon,
          Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Soon after you start on the herd path, there is a confusing section if it is all covered with fresh snow. The herd path is more narrow, and without seeing the tread, one tends to take the 'more obvious' route, which is wrong. It tends to lead you to where there are other routes that look like they may be the correct one.

I spent a good bit of time wandering around there a few years ago.... AND I WAS THE ONE WHO CUT THAT SECTION OF THE PATH!!!!!
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

This is the new sign, it says "Route to Table Top Mt."

TableTop sign
              Yvon,
              Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Originally posted by yvon
                This is the new sign, [/URL]
                Odd that was installed. When the new path was first cut, there was a problem with a significant number of Marcy climbers, climbingTabletop by mistake. At the time, a sign indicating Marcy (or Trail) was added.

There are a lot of implications in having a sign at the start of a path to an 'untrailled' peak.

Comment

Coming down Gray last month we met up with a guy wearing an enormous pack wanting to know if he was on the right path for the Loj. Then we met a group of 4. I asked if they were going to Marcy (meaning doing the gray-Marcy traverse). Yes, said they. Then I mentioned how we decided not to do the Marcy-Gray traverse due to all the wet trees.
                  Gray? What did I mean, Gray? Turns out they thought they were climbing Marcy.

Comment

The singn to Marcy still there Pete, look the photo you will see it right to Annie. And Table Top path is just behind her. As you know you see the cairn, but the sign for Table Top route is not so visible from the Marcy's trail.

Table Top start from Marcy's trail.
                    Yvon,
                    Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
                      Turns out they thought they were climbing Marcy.
                      A friend of mine once climbed Redfield instead of Marcy. And I can understand how it happened. He wanted to climb it via 4 corners from the Loj. He went behind Colden, then descended. When he arrived at the junction of the trail, there was no sign, and he didn't notice the junction. He continued on, and came to Uphill Brook. He crossed the brook, saw a lean-to (the old one was just after crossing the brook). He looked at his map, and saw there was a lean-to near the junction. He saw a path, thought it was the trail, and followed it to the summit of Redfield.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
                        A friend of mine once climbed Redfield instead of Marcy. And I can understand how it happened. He wanted to climb it via 4 corners from the Loj. He went behind Colden, then descended. When he arrived at the junction of the trail, there was no sign, and he didn't notice the junction. He continued on, and came to Uphill Brook. He crossed the brook, saw a lean-to (the old one was just after crossing the brook). He looked at his map, and saw there was a lean-to near the junction. He saw a path, thought it was the trail, and followed it to the summit of Redfield.
                        And he lived happily ever after.........
                        Walk Softly

Comment

[QUOTE=ADKben]I did TableTop 2 winters ago and when I did it there were DEFINATELY red trail markers that led all the way to the top; are they still there? 100% it was the top of TableTop as well. I had originally gotten lost because I thougt there was no way the path had markers on the trees; so i meandored around and then decided screw it and followed the red markers which led me to the top of the mtn.

Comment

I did not see any red marker, i saw only one white marker at the beginning.
                            Yvon,
                            Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Well, there are definately markers and they're red. They're the new flavor that reads 'Foot Path' on them. You have me wondering where/how you coulda missed or lost the trail w/out seeing any of them.
                              As I said, I thought that I saw a wooden sign at the start of the trail on Saturday and I know that the cairn is still there because I definately saw that. If you saw the sign, you sure as heck should have seen red markers too. They're big, bright and plentiful.

How far along the trail did you go before blowdown turned you around?

TAbleTop has been problematic in the past to climb when the paths were a maze and a mess around Indian Falls. But it's easy to climb now, both in terms of geography and the marking of the trail.

We ARE talking about the trail/sign/cairn being about 5 min and just a little downhill of Indian Falls, right? Off of the trail TO Marcy, FROM Marcy dam, correct?
                              Walk Softly

Comment

Working...
                              X