Street 'n' I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street 'n' I

So after looking out the office window for a couple days at the incredible weather we have had I made some adjustments to my schedule so I could sneak in a hike today. Because Charlene wasn't going I thought I would choose something she has already done. I had about six hours and considered Allen but I knew I couldn't do that without Neil so I chose Street and Nye. I hadn't been there this year and it fit my requirements so off I went. The foliage in the high peaks is near peak if not there. Lots of color. 20 times the color from Saturday! There is still some green left but there are also bare trees and everything in between. The trail was covered in leaves and they were falling around me all day. Thanks Pete for keeping this "path" in such good shape and also for putting up the summit signs that were missing last year. You got that one on Street up pretty high! I saw a group of three climbing these peaks today on the way up and then again on the way down. Only folks I would see. Had both summits to myself. When I got to Street I looked around for the cute Canadian woman pouring Champagne but she must have had the day off. I spent about 25 minutes having taking in some food, water, and views. Because it was just me and the dog we moved along pretty well all day. It has been a while since I hiked without anyone. Over a year since I climbed a high peak by myself. From car to car I was out for 4 hours. Made me think I shoulda climbed something longer. Back early enough to meet my evening obligations and hopefully with enough energy to watch some west coast late night baseball!
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Originally posted by Rik
    ...so I chose Street and Nye.
    IMO, one of the best fall hikes. During the hike, there are more colors than any of the other 44. You don't get out of the hardwoods, until you are quite close to the summit.

Originally posted by Rik
    Lots of color. 20 times the color from Saturday! There is still some green left but there are also bare trees and everything in between.
    I was there last Friday, and everything was GREEN. I met some hikers, and was telling them how usually the colors are fantastic. Too bad everything was green.

I'm seeing he same thing here (Gatineau, Québec) too. The RATE of color change is faster than I have ever seen. Last weekend, Gatineau Park was green. Now it is just about at peak. Usually this tansition takes several weeks.
    Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Working...
    X